Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Congrats on the win. I'm headed to see your new rink tonight, kind of excited.

Not really hockey related...but does anyone have a good suggestion for a place to get dinner before the game?
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Definitely a good win last night but I felt like we eased up a little too much after we got up 2-0. I was relieved to get the win, I thought that Michigan was going to tie it up for sure at the end. Still the speed and fluidity of this team is very impressive, if the inconsistencies can just get ironed out then the sky should be the limit. A win tonight would go a long way towards boosting confidence and momentum heading into the last leg of the regular season.

Comment

If your looking for the Irish feel, O'Rourke's across the street is a good choice. If you're looking for some Mexican, La Salsa is another option to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

Not really hockey related...but does anyone have a good suggestion for a place to get dinner before the game?
          Not hockey related??? A good pregame meal and a beer is ALWAYS hockey related.

I'll add a couple of other options in addition to Irish83s suggestions. A general consensus among many here is Fiddlers Hearth and Madison Oyster Bar are both good places. They share the space @ 127/129 S Main in South Bend. 5-10 minutes from campus (depending on weather and traffic lights), and I highly recommend either. Fiddlers Hearth is the more popular of the two and as such might be more crowded. It's more of a restaurant while Madison Oyster Bar takes the "bar" part of its name a little more seriously.

Good game last night, eh? (for the Irish fans that is) Don't quote me, but I have a sneaking suspicion we might not see a change in net.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
            Don't quote me, but I have a sneaking suspicion we might not see a change in net.
            I'm buying you a Guinness if Summerhays is in net tonight. Maybe 2 if we win!
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

A fair result I think this weekend. Both goaltenders stood on their heads in their respective wins.

Comment

I can't say i'm not disappointed, but over all I think they played well this weekend. Even though he lost tonight I think Summerhays played very well and should remain our number one goalie.

The only thing that really frustrates me though is that every time we have a chance to pull away in the standings or take a comfortable lead we always seem to take a step back. Every team we needed to win tonight, won. Every team (with the exception of Michigan) we needed to lose, lost. Even the two ties tonight helped us in the standings. Despite our inconsistencies as of late, if we had won tonight we'd be tied for second and two points out of first. As it is though, we're tied for sixth. Now, it's only fair to remind everyone that only five points separates us and first place even now. Also, three of the teams "ahead" of us have played two extra games and we're playing two of the teams ahead of us before the end of the season (Ferris and Miami). So we're not out of anything yet, we're still very much in contention for the league title. But it's still very frustrating considering how we let opportunities slip us by. I think this is the third time this season that this has happened (not even counting the end of last season where we could of won the CCHA outright with a win over W. Michigan).

All our players are healthy. We have no more suspensions coming up. We have the two easiest teams in our league coming up over the next four games. Let's get some points, hopefully the attrition in the CCHA standings will continue.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
                  We have the two easiest teams in our league coming up over the next four games.
                  While I agree with every other sentiment you expressed, this statement scares me. UA(F) and BG are the 10th and 11th place teams in an 11-team league, but they are by no means easy. BG always plays us tough, and let's face the music guys, our barn is anything but intimidating. (Rag coming up shortly...) And lest we forget how scary UA(F) was here in November: arses had to be worked off to overcome deficits on Friday of that series and it took OT to win Saturday. Couple those not-so-gimme weekends with a home-and-home with Ferris (ugh), on the road to play a Miami team that sandbagged the first half of the season and a surprisingly competitive Michigan State team, that were it not for a few key injuries would likely be above us in the standings instead of a measly 1 point behind.

We sit in 6th place right now. Sixth! How does this team, with this talent, with this new rink manage to sit 6th? Were the season to end right now, we would not have a bye for the playoffs (one of the goals of a Jeff Jackson-led team). While first place is not out of the question, sadly enough, neither is 9th place.

At the risk of alienating a boatload of ND "fans," why so sterile? As loud as it was last night, it was that quiet tonight. At one point, I think I heard crickets. Does everyone take cues from the alumni in the football stadium? This ain't golf people. You can cheer. Hell, you can yell if you want. Next time I go to Lawson, I'm videoing the Lawson Lunatics and leaving a copy of the video on every student's and new season ticket holder's seat. Since that NU series, ND is 3-4 at home. At home! That's not what springs to mind when the saying "home ice advantage" is uttered. (present company exempted from this rant)

Man, as frustrated as I am at the lack of goals, I cannot even fathom how frustrated this team must be, especially Anders Lee, who hit (if my math is correct) his 6th post in 4 games. And while no one player played poorly this weekend, there were a few times when someone made the poor choice to make one more pass. I don't want fancy. I don't want dazzle. I want lunch pail. I want blue collar. I want goals.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

At the risk of alienating a boatload of ND "fans," why so sterile? As loud as it was last night, it was that quiet tonight. At one point, I think I heard crickets. Does everyone take cues from the alumni in the football stadium? This ain't golf people. You can cheer. Hell, you can yell if you want. Next time I go to Lawson, I'm videoing the Lawson Lunatics and leaving a copy of the video on every student's and new season ticket holder's seat. Since that NU series, ND is 3-4 at home. At home! That's not what springs to mind when the saying "home ice advantage" is uttered. (present company exempted from this

This was my one big concern when they moved to the CFIA. I have seen many times where a team has success, builds a new building and loses the atmosphere among the fans. I'm already noticing a lot fewer of the old famaliar faces from the Joyce. Now granted CFIA is much larger. Even so I am seeing many more of the mover and shakers of the South Bend community. I even saw ex mayor Luecke the other night. But these people are not going to yell and get crazy.

I was also concerned about the number of empty seats in my section for a "sellout". This is another sigh of what happens when a sport becomes an event rather than a game which is starting to happen way to often with Notre Dame hockey. Geesh and it was Michigan in the barn last night too.

Comment

Originally posted by ND1 View Post

At the risk of alienating a boatload of ND "fans," why so sterile? As loud as it was last night, it was that quiet tonight. At one point, I think I heard crickets. Does everyone take cues from the alumni in the football stadium? This ain't golf people. You can cheer. Hell, you can yell if you want. Next time I go to Lawson, I'm videoing the Lawson Lunatics and leaving a copy of the video on every student's and new season ticket holder's seat. Since that NU series, ND is 3-4 at home. At home! That's not what springs to mind when the saying "home ice advantage" is uttered. (present company exempted from this

This was my one big concern when they moved to the CFIA. I have seen many times where a team has success, builds a new building and loses the atmosphere among the fans. I'm already noticing a lot fewer of the old famaliar faces from the Joyce. Now granted CFIA is much larger. Even so I am seeing many more of the mover and shakers of the South Bend community. I even saw ex mayor Luecke the other night. But these people are not going to yell and get crazy.

I was also concerned about the number of empty seats in my section for a "sellout". This is another sigh of what happens when a sport becomes an event rather than a game which is starting to happen way to often with Notre Dame hockey. Geesh and it was Michigan in the barn last night too.
                      Playing the #1 team in basketball at home may had something to do with attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        Playing the #1 team in basketball at home may had something to do with attendance.
                        Thought that might have been a possibility going in, but it wasn't much of a factor. There have typically been pockets of empty seats here or there in the games that have been sold out, but it didn't look any different last night. The student section was full at the opening faceoff as well.

If the PK is going to continue to take the night off, it behooves the players to stay out of the penalty box. Michigan's PP is oddly ineffective, scoring at just a 14% clip going into the weekend. Yet they went 3-8 in the two games and won last night because of it. Jackson is quick to praise his coaching staff, especially Pooley and the work he does with the PK. Our PK is last in the CCHA. Last. On a team that is supposed to be loaded with talent both on the ice and behind the bench that is simply unacceptable. I think it's been deteriorating for a few seasons now. It's getting old watching this team lose games because they can't kill a penalty when they need to. They've all been soft, from the goalie all the way to the coaches in this regard. In fairness to Summerhays it looked like 2 of the PP goals he gave up were tipped by his own players. But there's no law that says tipped pucks need to find the back of the net. I hate sports cliches, but they exist for a reason. Like maybe your goalie needs to be your best penalty killer? I've seen both Johnson and Summerhays stop plenty of tipped pucks this season when the teams are skating equal numbers. Something is happening on the PK that is leading to failure. Get it fixed.

The next two weekends aren't likely to do much for our spots in the PWR should we have success. But a lack of success will do a ton of damage as far as the CCHA standings and likely would put us in a precarious position as far as the NCAAs are concerned. Two seasons ago we saw a similar situation going into the latter stages of the season. A team trying to find an identity, struggling to put together a good streak of games went into 2 weeks of play against the last place teams in the CCHA. I hope the upperclassmen on this team are reminding everyone how things turned out. You treat anyone in this league like they aren't the equivalent of Miami or Michigan or BU or Minnesota and you can count on a couple of losses.

The way the season is shaping up in the NCAA, whoever wins it all is probably going to be the team that gets luckiest in March and April. You can throw a blanket over virtually the entire NCAA field as it would be made up today. I truly believe any of the teams could lose to or beat any of the other teams. By my count we are 7-4-2 against 8 of the other 15 teams that would be skating in late March. This is not a season to be the 17th team out of 16. Get your house in order. Get your problems solved. Or get ready to have a promising season turn into a lie.

Comment

Fair remarks- but as a Michigan fan I can counter and say for all of the talent we have- 45th in PP is unacceptable and LAST in CCHA. It kept them in the Friday game and was the difference on Saturday.

That said, ND was lucky that the damage wasn't more severe.

I was disappointed in all of the scrumming and after whistle crap. I won't go as far as what Alex Guptill said after last night (paraphrased " Notre Dame plays dirty") but I think both teams took it to the edge because the CCHA officials ALLOWED them to. You can't tell me that the gameplan wasn't to bump, crash and otherwise disrupt Hunwick. It was apparent. Yet, only one goalie interference call and a few offsetting calls, plus a misconduct for obviously disagreeing with a penalty call that was thought to be instigated by ND. If this type of play is taken into the NCAA's expect other conference crews to lead a parade to the box. Mark it- and I say that in regard to both teams.

Comment

The few empty seats aren't what concerns me. It's the point ND1 made. Going to a hockey game is now the "in" thing to do. Like getting a tattoo. Pretty new barn. Team that gets a little press. This is what drives me nuts about ND alumni. Take the silver spoon out of your mouth, take the thumb out of your butt and cheer. It's also having to choose between basketball and hockey. Which do you think people in Indiana are going to choose to watch? Why do the powers that be at this university feel the need to schedule the hockey games at about the same time as bball games?

I realize I am an unusual hockey fan in South Bend (as are the other posters here). I live and breathe this team. The chalk talks with Coach Jackson are a good illustration of the atrophy of season ticket holders. They have the capacity for 125 or so season ticket holders to go to these events, but have had about 50 each time. The invitation gave the heads up that season ticket holders needed to RSVP to your top 3 dates as space was limited, you could go to one and maybe, just maybe you could be invited to another. If room permitted. I've gone to all but the first one. I'm sure Darrin Ottaviani will e-mail me again letting me know I can attend the last one also.

I'm also reminded of the broadcast of ND's OT win over Michigan in Denver and the camera panning the crowd after Calle's goal. Sure, they had one shot of the goofball with his shirt off, but most of the shots were of guys in suits with hands in pockets and bemused looks on their faces. God forbid ND fans act like, oh, I don't know, me, jumping up so high I swear I levitated, or my brother running up and down the stairs. Why are ND fans afraid to work up a sweat in the stands? (And I know they rushed the court after last night's bball game, but I'm a hockey fan.)

I know hockey is a niche sport, but I know how special this team is. I know how great this sport is. Why can't everyone else?

Comment

If this type of play is taken into the NCAA's expect other conference crews to lead a parade to the box. Mark it- and I say that in regard to both teams.
                              I was at the Frozen Four last year. I saw it first hand, yes, to both teams.
                              No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                                The few empty seats aren't what concerns me. It's the point ND1 made. Going to a hockey game is now the "in" thing to do. Like getting a tattoo. Pretty new barn. Team that gets a little press. This is what drives me nuts about ND alumni. Take the silver spoon out of your mouth, take the thumb out of your butt and cheer. It's also having to choose between basketball and hockey. Which do you think people in Indiana are going to choose to watch? Why do the powers that be at this university feel the need to schedule the hockey games at about the same time as bball games?

I realize I am an unusual hockey fan in South Bend (as are the other posters here). I live and breathe this team. The chalk talks with Coach Jackson are a good illustration of the atrophy of season ticket holders. They have the capacity for 125 or so season ticket holders to go to these events, but have had about 50 each time. The invitation gave the heads up that season ticket holders needed to RSVP to your top 3 dates as space was limited, you could go to one and maybe, just maybe you could be invited to another. If room permitted. I've gone to all but the first one. I'm sure Darrin Ottaviani will e-mail me again letting me know I can attend the last one also.

I'm also reminded of the broadcast of ND's OT win over Michigan in Denver and the camera panning the crowd after Calle's goal. Sure, they had one shot of the goofball with his shirt off, but most of the shots were of guys in suits with hands in pockets and bemused looks on their faces. God forbid ND fans act like, oh, I don't know, me, jumping up so high I swear I levitated, or my brother running up and down the stairs. Why are ND fans afraid to work up a sweat in the stands? (And I know they rushed the court after last night's bball game, but I'm a hockey fan.)

I know hockey is a niche sport, but I know how special this team is. I know how great this sport is. Why can't everyone else?
                                Funny, they can get excited for football... but not hockey?

Comment

Working...
                                X