Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
    I simply think Summerhays is better, us losing control of Friday night's game was simply not his fault.
    Nobody's really talked about it that I've seen, but I thought he got caught at a bad angle on the second goal Friday. It looked like he was off his post a little (possibly cheating against the pass, possibly just a little sloppy with his positioning), and that was what gave Balisy the space through which he put his shot.
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

First off I didn't state he said he was the only reason. As a matter of fact I posed a ?. Shouldn't A ND FAN know the difference from a ? and a statement? As to # 10 I do not know him but Friday while watching the game there were comments that he seemed to be playing better as a winger.His physical play is much needed.

Comment

Craig P,

I disagree, the biggest problem on Friday was that we went into "shut down mode" in the third period with only a one goal lead. I think the first two periods were played similar to the other games where we won 4-1 or 5-1 or whatnot, with the team starting slow and giving up the first goal only to rebound and take control of the game. At the half way point of the second it could have easily have been 3-1 for us with one of the goals disallowed. Then we took two penalties equaling 7 out of the last 10 minutes of the 2nd, including that 5-minute major at the end of the period, and our momentum was stopped. But we weren't beaten by any stretch of the imagination.

When we came back from the second intermission, instead of pressing again, we decided to shut the door and began playing the 1-3-1. That was a strategic mistake, IMO. The second goal (for WMU) came on the power play and the third goal was on a deflection. We just kind of lost "control" of the game. Before that Summerhays was pretty much lights out (with the first goal coming on a defensive break down leading to a two-on-one rush).

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
          You guys know where I stand given my comments on this a couple of weeks ago (this was the reason I finally signed up to post here). I simply think Summerhays is better, us losing control of Friday night's game was simply not his fault.
          I think we all are on this page now.

I also like your analysis of the lines. While you are correct about splitting Lee and Tynan up to spread out scoring, I like them together, too. I remember feeling this way anytime Condra-Deeth-Thang were split up. The thing is, Tynan is not a goal scorer and Lee is not a set up guy. They need each other. Tynan sets it up and Lee finishes. When neither of them registers a point, ND loses quite often. Not that way with Michigan, for example. When their top scorers don't register a point it almost has no bearing on the outcome.
          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Irish83 View Post
            As to # 10... there were comments that he seemed to be playing better as a winger. His physical play is much needed.
            I actually would have argued the opposite. I noticed that he got beat to a lot of pucks Friday and he got the short end of the physical stick. He was muscled off a few pucks along the boards. It was good to see him crash the net, though.

Saturday, everyone got outmuscled and outskated.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Irish83 View Post
              First off I didn't state he said he was the only reason. As a matter of fact I posed a ?. Shouldn't A ND FAN know the difference from a ? and a statement? As to # 10 I do not know him but Friday while watching the game there were comments that he seemed to be playing better as a winger.His physical play is much needed.
              Your "question" was really a comment. Using the word "the" in your post and forming it as a question, followed by the "WOW!!" logically leads me to believe you felt the post was mostly or completely laying the blame at one player for the sweep, which it certainly was not. People make statements all the time in the form of a question. I knew exactly what you meant. I just get a little uptight because it seems as if every time one of the Notre Dame posters dares to say anything less than glowing about the team or a player, someone appears to offer a drive by post that indicates it makes one less of a fan if you dare to be critical in the least. If that was not your intention, my apologies.

As for Gerths playing better as a winger than a center, I respectfully disagree with that. I haven't noticed an uptick in his game playing the wing now, versus what he was doing earlier in the year centering a 3rd or (usually) 4th line. Yes he brings some physicality with his game, probably even more than his size would indicate, but we need scoring. As JJfP pointed out, when Lee and Tynan are held off the scoresheet, Notre Dame does not win. Sheahan, Lee, Wuthrich, Larson, and Costello all bring the physical aspect to the game. It is one area where this team is not lacking a bit, certainly not upfront. We could use a little more along the blueline, but as a group our forwards are as physical as any in the CCHA.

Comment

No, Irish83, your original post did not say you thought he was the only one. Your post ONLY questioned the comments of another poster, it offered nothing that even came close to an opinion of your own, one way or the other about David's play. It offered nothing approaching an analysis from you that could be used to argue that the player is playing up to his potential. Your post was worded in such a way that it lead more than just me into thinking that you felt an honest opinion from someone could not be expressed if it was not 100% rah rah for old Notre Dame. And we are sorry, but if this is the way you feel, then this forum is definitely not for you because we are going to call a spade a spade, as we see it. That means if that same player comes out this coming weekend and scores a goal or contributes to the play positively and doesn't do something stupid like taking a penalty 23 seconds into a major penalty power play on our part, then he stands a pretty good chance of getting the accolades he deserved. Until then, he's probably going to see that we are questioning his judgments and his play. If you want a rah rah thread, you probably need to start it on your own.
                Last edited by Third Family Member; 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM.
                Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                Courage to change the things I can,
                And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                  I think we all are on this page now.

I also like your analysis of the lines. While you are correct about splitting Lee and Tynan up to spread out scoring, I like them together, too. I remember feeling this way anytime Condra-Deeth-Thang were split up. The thing is, Tynan is not a goal scorer and Lee is not a set up guy. They need each other. Tynan sets it up and Lee finishes. When neither of them registers a point, ND loses quite often. Not that way with Michigan, for example. When their top scorers don't register a point it almost has no bearing on the outcome.
                  I find it hard to believe that one or two struggling players can bring down a team especially a team as deep in talent as Notre Dame is. In short one of the adjustments Jackson is finally faced with is the tough task of which all top tier programs and coaches have, is keeping the talented player(s) engaged when their roles may involve a less glamorous role than they are use to. Involving at times limited playing time or being a healthy scratch. Last year, a very large talented group of Freshman arrived and performed incredible well. Unfortunately, too much press and attention were awarded to Tynan and Lee even if it was warranted. For a good part of the season their success had some to do with not having to face other teams top lines often being matched up against teams 3-4 lines. They are no longer unknown and this year without a plethora of goal scorers, (Calle Ridderwall where are u) other teams can load up and defend the likes of TJ and Anders.

The other conclusion in question between Tynan and Lee bare out something completely different when you look at the stats more closely. Since the two have played together at ND Lee has over TWICE the amount of first assists to Tynan than TJ has to Lee. Obviously second assists come into play from Tynan handling the puck as much as he does and on the PP. Lee came to ND as a center out of HS and the USHL who during his Sr. yr in HS had 60 assists in 30 games. Lee has had success with a number of ND combinations, starting last year with Guentzel and Ryan last year, in fact that entire line were leading the team in scoring during the first 10 games of the season. Then a change was made and Tynan and Lee became a combination that had obvious success up until the last change which came after a disappointing result in the CCHA play-offs, Jackson again shuffled the lines. Lee was assembled with Sheehan and Maday. This line became the go to line up to the frozen four. This team simply needs to find more scoring combinations to advance deep gain this year along with a consistent goaltender. ND will be far more dangerous if this can be achieved with these two contributing on separate lines. What Lee does create is additional scoring chances and extended offensive play by using his physical skills and ability to protect the puck down low. What ever line Lee plays on will almost always generate the most shots on any given night by a fair margin.

On a side note, a few other observations.

1. ND needs to reduce the amount of "emotional" penalties they take and often by the usual suspects. Credit this year to Johns for huge improvements in this area. TJ take the chip off your shoulder, love your spirit but your going to get hit once in a while and are too valuable to be in the box instead of the PP. Also when you score especially on the road, knock off the antics of incensing the crowd, The Kessel hand to ear in Minnesota or the open arm embrace to Western student section. Go nuts when you get to the frozen four.

2.Give Summerhays an extended run of games and weekends. This guy is talented & competitive, he proved it in the USHL and has earned a chance to a solid run of games.

3. Defense move the puck, keep it simple and realize you will never skate the puck faster than making a pass.

4. This team is really pressing right now, the expectations are higher and flying under the radar is no longer an option. The over-all strength of the CCHA is staggering this year and weight of this schedule the remainder will require new contributors to step forward.

5. Centers will need to contribute more and distribute the puck better. Their goal is to make everyone around them better, and not try and shoulder all of the scoring responsibilities.

6. When this group plays as a disciplined "TEAM" they are incredibly tough to beat. The most recent examples are the BU & Minnesota.

7. When we start hearing less Tynan and less Lee we will know we are on the right track. Provided they are mentioned in the mix!

"Opinions are like onions, they make some people cry."

Comment

If Minnesota scared the crap out of me, then Michigan (scares the crap out of me)².

I was thinking about those "keys to success" you always see prior to televised games and wondered about keys to success for the games this weekend when it comes to league play.

Both teams have 4 guys in double digits in league scoring, and each team has an impact player in league games. Hold him off the scoresheet in the CCHA and they don't win. For Michigan, that player would be freshman Alex Guptill. For ND, it's T.J. Tynan.

Another key to success for ND is to capitalize on the PP. They lead the league at 19.8%. They just need to avoid taking penalties altogether.

When Michigan scores first in league play, they win 67% of the time. When the opposition scores first, Michigan is winless. When ND scores first, they are unbeaten. When the opposition scores first, ND still wins 45% of the time.

When Michigan leads after the first or second period, they are unbeaten, and if the margin of victory is 3 or more goals, they are also unbeaten. When the opposition leads after the first or second period, Michigan is winless. In close games, they win 33% of the time.

When ND leads after the first or second period, ND wins 77% of the time. In blowouts, ND wins 60% of the time. They are actually better in close games, winning 63% of the time if the margin of victory is 1 or 2 goals. When ND trails after the first or second period, they win 29% of the time.

To sum up for Notre Dame: Make sure Tynan registers a point, score first, score on the PP, take a lead into either intermission and keep the game close.

Former University of Oklahoma football coach Bud Wilkinson once said, “We compete not so much against an opponent, but against ourselves. The real test is this: Did I make my best effort on every play?” Well, did you?

Comment

If the Irish can contain the GWB line, which has done 80% of their scoring lately, then they have more than a fair chance at beating Michigan. Michigan also has the worst PP % in the CCHA. Mindblowing, actually. Michigan's PK has improved but still sits at around 81%. Michigan is not a good come from behind team, although they did do that to beat MSU in the GLI- which scored first in the game and probably is the exception this season, JJFP.

One other thing- Michigan is allowing a ton of shots this season. Merrill's return has changed the complexion of the defense immensely, but they are still vulnerable to the cycle and to coverage mistakes on rebounds.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        If the Irish can contain the GWB line...
                        Great. Just like that NCAA game against Bemidji State. "Just stop Matt Read's line and you'll be fine..."
                        Originally posted by streaker
                        ...although they did do that to beat MSU in the GLI- which scored first in the game and probably is the exception this season, JJFP.
                        I was only counting league games. No OOC or tourney games went into my stats.

Comment

I'm only doing you the same favor.... providing meaningless stats that determine tendencies. But feel free to try to stop all four lines Michigan has.

Edit: Okay, so I checked the stats on the top line (with a little help from another Wolverine hockey fan). Since Michigan went to Alaska in December and broke their winless string (at the same time this line was put together) they are 7-0-2. The top line has been involved in 59% of their scoring- 17 goals out of the 29 in nine games. They accounted for an amazing 38 points and were a +30 last weekend alone. I hold to my original thinking- stop them and you'll have a great chance to shut down Michigan's offense especially since they are cranking out a 14% PP.
                          Last edited by streaker; 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Holy crap! Riley Sheahan has a league-ordered suspension for an "illegal" hit?! Did the league look at many factors in this decision? Like, say, the fact that the wrong guy was kicked out of the game? Or the fact that it was a shoulder-on-shoulder hit? Or that the Western guy is out with a SHOULDER injury? NOT a head injury? Since when is interference a suspendable infraction?

Man I cannot wait for the demise of this league.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                              Holy crap! Riley Sheahan has a league-ordered suspension for an "illegal" hit?! Did the league look at many factors in this decision? Like, say, the fact that the wrong guy was kicked out of the game? Or the fact that it was a shoulder-on-shoulder hit? Or that the Western guy is out with a SHOULDER injury? NOT a head injury? Since when is interference a suspendable infraction?

Man I cannot wait for the demise of this league.
                              I didn't see the hit... is it available? Also- who were the clowns in stripes this time?
                              Sounds like the pendulum has swung the other way in the CCHA as far as suspensions.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                I didn't see the hit... is it available? Also- who were the clowns in stripes this time?
                                Sounds like the pendulum has swung the other way in the CCHA as far as suspensions.
                                I have a game "tape." I watched the hit several times. Extremely obvious that it's shoulders hitting. It was interference, not CTH (or whatever the league thinks is "illegal").

As Mr. JJfP is wont to say, "C.C.H.A. Can't Comprehend Hockey at All."

Comment

Working...
                                X