Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Originally posted by Huskies of NU View Post
    ... we have been very good at clogging shooting lanes and limiting quality chances in front of the net (we give up a lot of shots, but a very high percentage are fairly harmless perimeter shots).
    Crap. That is Notre Dame's Achilles' heel.
    Originally posted by Huskies of NU
    I'm also just as excited to check out your new arena, the pictures look incredible. Should still be a fun weekend either way, I think we're bringing a decent number of fans considering the distance.
    Safe travels and check out the tourist-y things around campus and town.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

*****http://bestsmileys.com/puking/1.gif******

*****http://bestsmileys.com/puking/2.gif******

*****http://bestsmileys.com/puking/3.gif******

*****http://bestsmileys.com/puking/4.gif******

*****http://bestsmileys.com/puking/5.gif******

*****http://bestsmileys.com/puking/6.gif******

*****http://bestsmileys.com/puking/7.gif******

You get the idea.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Good God. That is all. Just good God.
        Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        Courage to change the things I can,
        And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

They can't play like that two games in a row can they? CAN THEY!? This is one game that I will pay someone to bash my head against the boards just to forget. Any takers?
          TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
            They can't play like that two games in a row can they? CAN THEY!?
            Actually, in a way, they did. Last Saturday's game in the Soo was ugly. But at least they were in that one occasionally...

Comment

Have to admit we were quite surprised when the conference scores were shown on the display. I suppose we'll have to wait for you guys to get over the shock to read any postings on what happened.

Comment

Hey, we didn't quit. Of course we didn't start either, unfortunately. What an embarrassment. That was as bad as a few games in 2004-05. Oh well, 9-2 or 3-2, it counts as just one loss. Happily today they get a chance to show it was just that. Hopefully at least one of the goalies shows up. And if we're lucky they will bring some of the skaters along.

Comment

I know this is cold comfort and of no consolation, but I'm sure some of you must have seen that Al-Hunt beat UNO 3 - 1 last night in Nashville for their first win of the season.
                  NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Hey, the penalty kill looked pretty good last night.
                    Notre Dame Hockey
                    Reigning Big Ten Champions
                    Reigning CCHA Champions
                    Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
                      Hey, the penalty kill looked pretty good last night.
                      You haven't seen NU's power play before then.... Our Power Play is the best pk in the country! I haven't seen a power play kill itself more than ours! So honestly, that's not really a consolation prize.
                      Originally posted by Bakunin
                      Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Couple of things of note to me after what was a fairly disappointing weekend.

First, Northeastern is better than their record. After a 1-7-2 start, they've won 5 straight, including 3 in a row away from home. 4 of those 5 wins were by 3 or more goals as well. They've got a good mixture of size and speed, and used it well against Notre Dame all weekend, and especially on Friday. My guess is the way they are playing now is a better indication of their potential than the first 10 games.

The second thing that strikes me as worth mentioning is the rather obvious observation that our goaltending is a bit off right now. Johnson is not playing well. There is simply no defending giving up the game tying and game winning goals on the five shots he faced last night after the first period. I'm not commenting on the kind of shape the team is in physically right now, but Saturday's effort was clearly better than Friday's. The team came much closer to matching NE in the corners and played a little more securely with the puck. And holding them to 15 shots was exactly what a goalie needed to see.

I've had a hard time reading the coach when it comes to goalies for the entire time he's been at Notre Dame. Jackson insists Johnson is "his guy" and he clearly hasn't arrived at the conclusion that his number 2 is ready to challenge for the top spot. But the answer can't be in a guy who can't make 5 saves in 40 minutes. Under the circumstances I can't see what else his skaters could have done last night to win this game. It may be unrealistic to think you should win a game when you score just one goal. But it better not be unrealistic when you hold the other guys to just 5 shots after taking a lead.

The remainder of the season will be quite a challenge. The CCHA looks tougher this season than it has since Jackson arrived at Notre Dame. This team has the potential to go a long way, but to make the trip it will need consistent play from what has become hockey's most important position. Play they aren't getting right now.

Comment

I guess it's easy to be gracious in the wake of a weekend sweep but I can't in good conscience leave South Bend without giving props to all of the Domers I was able to meet over the weekend. Genuinely nice people all and none of the arrogance and sense of entitlement that we're used to seeing at certain unnamed institutions located on Commonwealth Ave., in Boston. The ND band was awesome. Kinda surprised, though, that it had to compete with amplified music as much as it did. Compton is such an impressive facility that I can't imagine many potential recruits thinking they wouldn't want to play there. Eddy St. Commons was amazing. Ditto for Fiddler's Hearth.

For CraigP: Smile buddy. It's OK to let your inner Husky shine through.
                          Last edited by Split-N; 12-04-2011, 11:02 AM.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            For CraigP: Smile buddy. It's OK to let your inner Husky shine through.
                            Hey, if this really is NU's natural level, and not just an off week for ND, all the better. If it was an off week, well, I'm glad it was NU and not a team I hate (say, Michigan or BU) that took advantage of it.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Just one positive I can see this weekend. At least we didn't lose ground in the CCHA by losing to a conference opponent. Saturday night after the game was nice with the skate, at least watching. Since I have never skated in my life (although always wanted to) I was on the bleachers but just seeing the players interact made it worth sticking around for
                              TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
                                Just one positive I can see this weekend. At least we didn't lose ground in the CCHA by losing to a conference opponent. Saturday night after the game was nice with the skate, at least watching. Since I have never skated in my life (although always wanted to) I was on the bleachers but just seeing the players interact made it worth sticking around for
                                Isn't it fun to watch Stephen Johns in those events? I thoroughly enjoy his interactions with the kids.
                                Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                                Courage to change the things I can,
                                And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X