Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

For what its worth, I thought that the refs made a terrible call on the first goal for UA(F). My tickets are right in the corner and I clearly saw Summerhays cover that puck. It wasn't until they kicked the pick loose that they recovered the puck and eventually score. I have certainly seen refs blow the whistle for a lot less than that we it comes to puck coverage. Doesn't matter though. A win makes you forget that type of stuff. Lets regroup quickly and get ready for what should be a nasty and tough game against Western
    TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Up next is game #3 in this concentrated home stand. WMU has started coming back down to earth after their own 9-game unbeaten stretch. I hope the Irish don't start descending yet.

Both teams are led by some outstanding sophomores. Western's young guns are Chase Balisy, who has 12 points, and Shane Berschbach with 10. The Broncos have several players tied for the lead in goals scored, each having 4. Sophomore Danny DeKeyser leads the team in PPG's with 2. ND's top 2 scorers are also 2nd-year guys. T.J. Tynan has 19 points, while Anders Lee has 17. Lee leads the team (and country) with 12 goals. He also leads the team in PPG's with 5.

Goalies seem to be a question mark for both teams. Western had been splitting time between Nick Pisellini (.909 save %, 2.25 GA) and Frank Slubowski (.892 and 1.98), but Pisellini started both games this weekend, losses against MSU. ND had been employing Mike Johnson (.895 and 2.27) more often than Steven Summerhays (.890 and 2.76), but Summerhays looked pretty solid for nearly 5 periods this weekend, minus about 35 seconds.

Western averages 3.17 goals/game while giving up 2.25. ND averages 3.45 goals/game and gives up 2.45. Western has scored 7 PPG's thus far, but has also given up 7 on the PK. Their PP struggles at 12.7%. Their PK is pretty good at 86.3% (for a score of 99 on special teams). ND has registered 13 PPG's for while surrendering 6 PPG's. Their PP is quite solid at 22.8% while their PK is decent at 85.7% (108.5 on the special teams).

The great John Wooden said, "Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character."
      Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

So who is on fire now? Riley Sheahan? T.J. Tynan? Shayne Taker? Was that a pretty move around their Dman to pot his first of the season, or what?

Kind of a sloppy game defensively, and Anders Lee without a point, but a win is a win.

Nice to visit with Sugarisland. Too bad the bus WMU brought down apparently didn't have GPS as they came by way of St. Joe, MI and somehow ended up on the West Si-eed before finally reaching the rink near the first intermission.

But the highlight of the night was when Mr. JJfP got to participate in the intermission shot for 2 plane tickets. He gave pointers to the girl, who had never shot a puck before. He didn't score. She did.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          West Si-eed
          ... appropriate for the "Straight inta Compton" thread, I suppose.

Comment

There is an English proverb that states, "A good beginning makes a good end."

I've never been to the dedication of anything. What will it be like? Who will be in attendance? How distracting will it be for ND? Or, more importantly, how motivating will it be for BC?

BC is coming off an embarrassing home loss to BU. They'll be straining the reins to make up for it and steal ND's CFIA dedication night thunder. They are led by Chris Kreider who has 16 points, 3 of which are PPG's to lead the Eagles in that category. Bill Arnold (14 points), Kevin Hayes (13), Steven Whitney (12), Pat Mullane (12) and Johnny Gaudreau (10) round out their players in the double digits. Parker Milner has played every minute between the pipes for them. He's got a GA of 2.33 and a save % of .908.

ND is led by T.J. Tynan with 20 points. Anders Lee has 17, while leading the team in PPG's with 5. Riley Sheahan and Billy Maday (12 each) finish the list in the double digits for the Irish. Mike Johnson's numbers have slipped a bit. His GA is 2.24 and his save % is .898.

BC averages just over 7 penalties/game. Their PP sits at 22.8% while their PK is 88.7%. They average 3.75 GF while giving up 2.5 GA as a team. They are 7th in the PWR, 8th in KRACH and their SOS is 23rd. They beat NoDak the opening weekend to win the Ice Breaker.

ND takes under 5 penalties/game. Their PP is a solid 23.7% and their PK is acceptable at 86.4%. They are scoring 3.42 goals/game and giving up 2.42/game. ND is 3rd in both the PWR and KRACH and their SOS is 6th. Those numbers could even improve by Christmas as 6 of the next 8 games ND plays are tough and will say quite a bit about their skill, strength and desire.

I'd like to see Nick Larson, Bryan Rust, Jeff Costello and Mike Voran start picking up the pace in their scoring. If this team is going to be great, they can't get there unless more players contribute.

The Irish playwright Sean O'Casey once said, "Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity." Here's to good vibrations.
            Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 11-16-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

BC hasn't fared well against Notre Dame in regular-season contests, so that's motivation right there. And, as was already said, BC is eager to make amends for that horrible home loss to BU...on CBS, no less. This game will be on CBS, too.
              Chris V
              Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

A couple of Qs that some nice domehead might care to answer so I can do some trip planning: 1--Which hotel(s) are closest to Compton (preferably within walking distance)? and 2--Which hotel do visiting teams usually use?

Thanx and hope to see ya'll in a few weeks.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Fairfield Inn at Eddy Commons is right across the street from the CFIA. Not sure where all the teams stay, but a phone call to the SID of the team you are wondering about could probably shed some light on it.

So are the rest of you Notre Dame folks growing tired of people asking you where/how to get tickets to the game Friday? I'm beginning to wish they would have held the "dedication" ceremonies last weekend instead of for a game with a little more casual interest already built in.

Comment

[QUOTE=IrishHockeyFan;5268321So are the rest of you Notre Dame folks growing tired of people asking you where/how to get tickets to the game Friday? I'm beginning to wish they would have held the "dedication" ceremonies last weekend instead of for a game with a little more casual interest already built in.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking I could get enough for several trips overseas for my tickets over the tunnel. And don't inundate me, folks, I'm not selling them.
                    Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                    Courage to change the things I can,
                    And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                      I'm thinking I could get enough for several trips overseas for my tickets over the tunnel. And don't inundate me, folks, I'm not selling them.
                      Last I saw they were going for $800 apiece. That could get you a few plane tickets.

Comment

Tonight's game should be very exciting. Let's hope the sell-out crowd brings it's 'A' game as well as the team.I agree with JJFP that the players mentioned need to pick up the scoring pace for this team to reach it's potential.Also an important game for Johnson if Jackson calls his #. Will be fun to watch no matter what the outcome. Go Irish!!

Comment

That did not suck.

Comment

You guys did a lot better than Miami could have done. I don't think they've ever beaten a team with the word "Boston" in their name. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                              There is an English proverb that states, "A good beginning makes a good end."

I've never been to the dedication of anything. What will it be like? Who will be in attendance? How distracting will it be for ND? Or, more importantly, how motivating will it be for BC?

BC is coming off an embarrassing home loss to BU. They'll be straining the reins to make up for it and steal ND's CFIA dedication night thunder. They are led by Chris Kreider who has 16 points, 3 of which are PPG's to lead the Eagles in that category. Bill Arnold (14 points), Kevin Hayes (13), Steven Whitney (12), Pat Mullane (12) and Johnny Gaudreau (10) round out their players in the double digits. Parker Milner has played every minute between the pipes for them. He's got a GA of 2.33 and a save % of .908.

ND is led by T.J. Tynan with 20 points. Anders Lee has 17, while leading the team in PPG's with 5. Riley Sheahan and Billy Maday (12 each) finish the list in the double digits for the Irish. Mike Johnson's numbers have slipped a bit. His GA is 2.24 and his save % is .898.

BC averages just over 7 penalties/game. Their PP sits at 22.8% while their PK is 88.7%. They average 3.75 GF while giving up 2.5 GA as a team. They are 7th in the PWR, 8th in KRACH and their SOS is 23rd. They beat NoDak the opening weekend to win the Ice Breaker.

ND takes under 5 penalties/game. Their PP is a solid 23.7% and their PK is acceptable at 86.4%. They are scoring 3.42 goals/game and giving up 2.42/game. ND is 3rd in both the PWR and KRACH and their SOS is 6th. Those numbers could even improve by Christmas as 6 of the next 8 games ND plays are tough and will say quite a bit about their skill, strength and desire.

I'd like to see Nick Larson, Bryan Rust, Jeff Costello and Mike Voran start picking up the pace in their scoring. If this team is going to be great, they can't get there unless more players contribute.

The Irish playwright Sean O'Casey once said, "Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity." Here's to good vibrations.
                              That proverb couldn't be more true!!

Comment

Wow. Lets have dedication nights every game. Fitting that on a day that will go down in Notre Dame history, they play a game that will go down in Notre Dame Hockey history
                                TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Working...
                                X