This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The D-I Pre-Season Fan Forum Poll For 2011-2012

Trying to cover many bases here. If you feel a team has been unfairly omitted feel free to specify.
    Wisconsin
    28.38%
    BU
    8.11%
    Cornell
    16.22%
    BC
    5.41%
    Minnesota Duluth
    2.70%
    North Dakota
    4.05%
    Mercyhurst
    4.05%
    Minnesota
    10.81%
    UNH
    0.00%
    Dartmouth
    1.35%
    Harvard
    0.00%
    Providence
    5.41%
    NU
    5.41%
    Ohio State
    4.05%
    Other
    4.05%
    Last edited by brookyone; 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: The D-I Pre-Season Fan Forum Poll For 2011-2012

Also...having troubles with the site this evening so the initial poll posting was messed up. A quote of the one response that was deleted along with the initial messed up thread:

Originally posted by puckskillz
    Wisconsin: Very disciplined. Goaltending and defense a yr better. Coach Johnson will play to their strengths and neutralize their weaknesses. They just plain outwork their opponents and seem to taper well for March. Decker and Knight are phenomenal. But...they have a grueling season in the upper half of the WCHA so we'll see if they end up battle tested or worn and weary.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Geeez...botched this one as well. Supposed to be a public poll. Apologies.

My own vote was for Minnesota this year.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Are you polling who we think will win or who people want to see win. Do you or anyone else really thin that UNH, Harvard, Providence, NU, Ohio Staste, and really a few others have a chance at winning it all. My money is on the Badgers to repeat with the Gophers close on their heels. I see Cornell and BU as the top teams in the East, but the WCHA keeps the title.

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
          Are you polling who we think will win or who people want to see win. Do you or anyone else really thin that UNH, Harvard, Providence, NU, Ohio Staste, and really a few others have a chance at winning it all. My money is on the Badgers to repeat with the Gophers close on their heels. I see Cornell and BU as the top teams in the East, but the WCHA keeps the title.
          It's been fairly apparent in past polls fans voted based on one or the other as far as reasoning...who they want to win it or who they think will win it. depends on the voter (take note of what team UMD fans vote for). Doesn't matter who I really think has a legit shot. I didn't, and wouldn't limit a poll to just those choices. I threw teams on so their fans could vote for them if they wanted. People can decide for themselves what is or is not a realistic or legit vote...or choose not to vote if they think it's too farcical. I wouldn't take it too seriously.
          Last edited by brookyone; 09-13-2011, 12:16 AM.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
            As a betting person voting on UW (which is what I did in the poll). I'd say 50/50 chance of them repeating. Not sure on how close it is with others in the WCHA, but out east, my rank would be 1-BU, 2-Cornell, 3-Quinnipiac with BC and NE the challengers. If I were voting with my heart, it would be for an ECAC team.
            Last edited by OnMAA; 09-13-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              Trying to cover many bases here. If you feel a team has been unfairly omitted feel free to specify.
              IMHO Quinnipiac will give Cornell the hardest run for their money in the ECAC this year, and surprised they are not on your list. They have IMHO a better shot into the final eight than three or four other teams from the east in your listing.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 09-13-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                IMHO Quinnipiac will give Cornell the hardest run for they money in the ECAC this year, and surprised they are not on your list. They have IMHO a better shot into the final eight than three or four other teams from the east in your listing.
                Thought very seriously about including Quinni. They should be listed in the poll.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

As a betting person voting on UW (which is what I did in the poll). I'd say 50/50 chance of them repeating. Not sure on how close it is with others in the WCHA, but out east, my rank would be 1-BU, 2-Cornell, 3-Quinnipiac with BC and NE the challengers. If I were voting with my heart, it would be for an ECAC team.
                  I would agree with this...I also thought Quinny should be in the poll ahead of a few others there.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                    I would agree with this...I also thought Quinny should be in the poll ahead of a few others there.
                    I too would agree with this. They were a tough team last season, and have added some very nice weapons to play along with Babstock. I'm excited to see Cornell play them this season.

Comment

IMHO Quinnipiac will give Cornell the hardest run for their money in the ECAC this year, and surprised they are not on your list. They have IMHO a better shot into the final eight than three or four other teams from the east in your listing.
                      Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                      Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                      I too would agree with this. They were a tough team last season, and have added some very nice weapons to play along with Babstock. I'm excited to see Cornell play them this season.
                      Wouldn't you expect to see some "other" votes for Quinni if a number of fans believed they are a contender for the title? Could be their fans aren't participating in the poll...where's Fred Davenport when you need him?

I would expect a few to register an "other" vote with Quinni in mind specifically.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

They were a tough team last season, and have added some very nice weapons to play along with Babstock.
                        Have they added more recruits beyond the three shown on Hux's list -- Kosta (Canadian U18), Fritz-Ward, and Laden?
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          Have they added more recruits beyond the three shown on Hux's list -- Kosta (Canadian U18), Fritz-Ward, and Laden?
                          Frykas is said to be transferring there from UW. They've had very strong defensive play the last couple of season and appear to be adding some more offensive pop to supplement Babstock's outstanding skills. Do I think they'll win the national championship next season?...no. But at this point, I think they have a better shot at making it to the tournament than Harvard or Dartmouth based on returning players and my perceived strength of their additions.

This should not be interpreted to mean that I don't think Harvard and Dartmouth will be good next season. I expect them to be very solid as both teams have good incoming players and coaches that have a good track record of filling the necessary holes to remain competitive. With that said, Quinnipiac has not posted its 2011-2012 roster, and Seeley has an established record of losing solid players prematurely so my opinion is predicated on the fact that this doesn’t prove to be the case once again this year.

Comment

But at this point, I think they have a better shot at making it to the tournament than Harvard or Dartmouth based on returning players and my perceived strength of their additions.
                            That would be an interesting poll -- pick the eight-team field for the NCAAs. Those are harder to conduct, in part because when you allow posters to pick multiple choices, some can't resist picking all of the choices or at least some quantity other than eight. Based on the last week, don't attempt it brooky! I'd agree that teams like Quinnipiac or Northeastern have a better chance than ever to make the field, but winning the championship will be tough. Conversely, a team like North Dakota could have a hard time getting into the field, but if they do qualify, they'll have a decent chance to win it all.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              Based on the last week, don't attempt it brooky!
                              Don't worry...no chance of that happening.

I have been mulling adding a poll for Minnesota girls high school hockey though. Think that would be a tad contentious?

Also thought an updated version of your own poll titled "Which Conference Will Claim the NCAA Champion in 6 Months?" I think a version for the 2011-2012 season would be interesting.

I think there may very well be a boycott of this poll by UMD fans based on who posted it.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X