Lindenwood's role in computer rankings/RPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood's role in computer rankings/RPI

As I gear up for another year of computer rankings, I need to make a decision as to what to do with Lindenwood.

I currently exclude Sacred Heart from the "Rutter Rankings" due to the fact that they play so few D1 games in a given year. The current schedule only shows four games against D1 opponents, so I will continue that practice this year.

Lidenwood, on the other hand, plays 18 games against D1 opponents. Collegehockeystats.net has all of their games listed as "non-conference" for their opponents, but collegehockeystats.net has no schedule or roster page for them. Not even sure if they will count towards the NCAA's RPI calculations.

I am leaning toward including them, since they are playing a primarily D1 schedule. The best argument against including them is that some teams may treat these games as exhibition games, therefore playing different line combinations and backup goalies. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Lindenwood's role in computer rankings/RPI

From what I have read, Lindenwood won't be considered a Division I program this season -- there has been mention that they need to serve a two-year probationary period in order to be considered a full NCAA program. As such, I thought games involving them were exhibitions, not games with NCAA implications. I doubt it matters for the top teams, but if someone like Robert Morris plays them five times, there could be a trickle-down effect on the final digits of the RPI.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by LakersFan View Post
      As I gear up for another year of computer rankings, I need to make a decision as to what to do with Lindenwood.

I currently exclude Sacred Heart from the "Rutter Rankings" due to the fact that they play so few D1 games in a given year. The current schedule only shows four games against D1 opponents, so I will continue that practice this year.

Lidenwood, on the other hand, plays 18 games against D1 opponents. Collegehockeystats.net has all of their games listed as "non-conference" for their opponents, but collegehockeystats.net has no schedule or roster page for them. Not even sure if they will count towards the NCAA's RPI calculations.

I am leaning toward including them, since they are playing a primarily D1 schedule. The best argument against including them is that some teams may treat these games as exhibition games, therefore playing different line combinations and backup goalies. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
      Is there a 1 or 2 year waiting period before Lindenwood is eligible to qualify for the NCAA tournament as an at large? If so I'd say wait until they have fulfilled that requirement to include them. Even thought that's not necessarily what your rankings are for, at the end of the day that's kind of why everyone wants to look at them...to see how close to the top they are and whether or not they might have a legit shot come the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
        ...eligible to qualify for the NCAA tournament...
        I like this thought. It would make a clear distinction when "new" programs are added to your system.

Comment

While many folks are only interested in the top 10, I am certain each team down to the bottom of the rankings is extremely interested in how they are progressing. This would be especially true for Lindenwood as they built their program and look to enter a league. Furthermore, this could encourage programs to increase their D1 content of their schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by backcheck View Post
            Furthermore, this could encourage programs to increase their D1 content of their schedules.
            If by programs you mean Sacred Heart...who by this point has made it pretty clear that their intent is never to be a full fledged D1 program in any way shape or form except by name.

Teams should be eligible for the tournament

and/or at the very least play a full slate of D1 games so as not to negatively impact other D1 programs who are so generous as to play the new program in their first season.

It's not a knock on Lindenwood or any future new program, it's just a measure to maintain the fairness to all programs.

Comment

Originally posted by LakersFan View Post

In the grander scheme of things (top ten etc) it does not matter a whole lot. As a result, my vote would be to add them in, considering they are playing a D1 schedule. It is not gonna hurt anyone elses feelings, and it gives the Lindenwood fans a sense of pride and belonging, since it is their intent to go D1.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 09-14-2011, 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/2011/09/14/lind...n-to-join-cha/

That answers the question starting a year from now (assuming acceptance). I would probably include them this year too for that reason.
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Working...
                X