2012 Hockey East Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Hockey East Championship

I was just on the Hockey East website and read the press release that the league will hold the 2012 Championship at the Hyannis Youth & Community Center.

Although it is truly a neutral site I’m quite disappointed with this decision as I think the HYCC is out of the way for all the schools and fans. And for me it will make very hard to attend and also get to the BU-NU men’s game that evening, which I also would like to attend. Now if BU doesn’t advance to the semifinals there is no way I’ll be going.

Also, the press release doesn’t mention what the seating capacity is, but I it is listed as 1,500 on Wikipedia. Over the past six seasons the semifinals have averaged 1062, with the host team involved in the last five (see below). So, how many tickets will the league reserve for the four participating teams this season? If the league is able to sell a fair number of tickets to local youth teams it could impact the ability of loyal fans of participating teams to be able to get tickets.

Championship Attendance
    Year -Location-Semifinals (Championship)
    2011-BU-1050 (615*)
    2010-PC-822 (425*)
    2009-UNH-1038 (1201)
    2008-UC-893 (432*)
    2007-UNH-1628 (1301)
    2006-NU-941* (917*)
    2005-BU-703* (597*)
    2004-NU-562 (691*)
    2003-NU-358/435* (704*)
    *host team did not participate

*host team did not participate

These are just some immediate thoughts I had after reading the press release. I’m very interested I reading what others think.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 09-09-2011, 07:55 PM. Reason: added attendance for 2003/2004/2005
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Re: 2012 Hockey East Championship

Great research I went to last year and would have guessed more than 1500 - the atmosphere should be pretty good - none of the past have been a nuetral site the 2006 might say when there is no home Team attendance is affected.

Comment

I think it's ridiculous. I just read it today and I can't imagine what their reasoning is.

Frankly, I think the practice of having it at the top seed's school made as much sense as anything. Of course, if either Maine or Vermont were to finish first, then that could cause issues. Attendance is not stellar regardless, but this can't help. I would probably make the trip down if UNH were playing, but other than that I definitely won't go.

I think it should always be held in Boston. They can rotate between BU, BC and NU. Hell, if they want a neutral site, play it at Harvard. I know this could bring up equity issues, but given the number of people who actually attend, it should be held in the most centralized location as possible (apologies again to Maine and Vermont).
      UNH WILDCATS
      NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES

Comment

Originally posted by Wild E. Cat View Post
        I think it should always be held in Boston. They can rotate between BU, BC and NU. Hell, if they want a neutral site, play it at Harvard. I know this could bring up equity issues, but given the number of people who actually attend, it should be held in the most centralized location as possible (apologies again to Maine and Vermont).
        I agree and think it could be held at Agganis Arena, although BU would have a slight advantage if that were to happen. Another option might be to hold it at Lowell's Tsongas Center. Below are the times for each team to travel from their arena to Tsongas, Agganis or HYCC according to Google Maps:

Code:
                           Tsongas Agganis HYCC
        Boston College      0:46    0:10   1:28
        Boston University   0:45    0:01   1:22
        Connecticut         1:49    1:40   2:33
        Maine               4:03    4:15   5:22
        New Hampshire       1:09    1:21   2:28
        Northeastern        0:46    0:08   1:18
        Providence          1:20    1:02   1:27
        Vermont             3:17    3:34   4:40
        Sean

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
          Great research I went to last year and would have guessed more than 1500 - the atmosphere should be pretty good - none of the past have been a nuetral site the 2006 might say when there is no home Team attendance is affected.
          Thanks Joe, I used the Hockey East website and it only went back to 2006. I have since gotten the rest of the semifinal attendance figures from USCHO as well as the championship game attendance. After the first two championships attendance figures indicate the importance of having the home team in the championship game. My guess is Hockey east is hopping to sell most of the tickets to local youth teams and not be dependent on the host team's fans. I don't agree with it, especially due to the small seating capacity of the HYCC.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I think it has more to do with increasing the visibility of the league and the women's game and creating a bit of atmosphere by banging out a small building than worrying about home team fans and the like. That said, I would prefer to see it somewhere like Tsongas, though the arena is really too big. A better place would have been at Salem, since they have seating capacity for 1800 or so. However, the place is kinda run down, so not really a great place for staging a big event like the league playoffs. It's times like these that you wish the Boston area had a men's junior team with an 3500 seat arena..
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              It's times like these that you wish the Boston area had a men's junior team with an 3500 seat arena..
              Then maybe Walter Brown is the perfect place to hold the tournament...

Sean

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

What a terrible freaking idea.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I agree with you. The team that wins the regular season should be rewarded with home ice. As far as holding the event in a centralized location I'm against it being held only at the Boston schools. It's is hockey EAST not hockey Boston. If thats the case is should held in a neutral site that is also central.
                  Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                    As far as holding the event in a centralized location I'm against it being held only at the Boston schools. It's is hockey EAST not hockey Boston. If thats the case is should held in a neutral site that is also central.
                    The WCHA tournament semis and finals have been held at Minnesota's home rink beginning in 2004 every year except 2008, when it was at UMD. From what I've heard, UMD is the only team opposed to holding it in Minneapolis -- the others like the location and facility; Coach Miller feels that it gives the Gophers too much of an advantage. Historically, it seems that the best team has won, because the team winning the WCHA tournament has also won the NCAA title each time.

At this point, the best decision is likely whatever serves to grow the sport. Whether that is best accomplished by rotating the site or having a permanent home is open to debate.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      At this point, the best decision is likely whatever serves to grow the sport. Whether that is best accomplished by rotating the site or having a permanent home is open to debate.
                      Yes, definitely. The only thing I know for sure is that the current decision doesn't serve to accomplish that goal.

At one time there was support for permanently holding it at UNH. I agree that this is certainly not equitable, although it's probably most practical. That being said, as a UNH fan, I have no issue with it always being at one of the arenas in Boston. Unfortunately we're talking about a sport with a tiny following. I think, therefore, that Boston is the best place to have it until something changes. The Maine and Vermont men could argue that the Garden is an unfair advantage for the men's tournament, but Hockey East isn't going to change it because of that.
                      UNH WILDCATS
                      NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        What a terrible freaking idea.
                        Well stated.
                        UNH WILDCATS
                        NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES

Comment

I always liked the HE format. Rewards the team with the most consistant season. I agree with the earlier comment on finding a smaller venue. A neutral site would work well if it is a destination place and an intimate setting that maximizes the game experience. That's why Ridder works so well in MN. The opposing band and a reasonable fan base can really neutralize a home or local team's support. Witnessed this last yr at the WCHA final between WI and MN. Loud Badger fans and pep band. If it's a destination location then there are things to do around the games. Might have a chance to lure curious hockey fans in for a weekend of great hockey and overall fun. But need that smaller intimate building..

Comment

I really can't articulate how dumb I think this is. Hyannis?? Are you kidding me with this nonsense? We could just say eff it, have it at UNH, quadruple the attendance, quintuple the atmosphere, and be less inconvenient to exactly 8 teams.
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              I really can't articulate how dumb I think this is. Hyannis?? Are you kidding me with this nonsense? We could just say eff it, have it at UNH, quadruple the attendance, quintuple the atmosphere, and be less inconvenient to exactly 8 teams.
                              Well, on the plus side those that golf will be able to get a jump on the season!

Comment

Working...
                              X