Maine Black Bears 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine Black Bears 2011-2012

The Black Bears open the season September 23rd - 24th against Sacred Heart at home. Nice opportunity to see the renovated Alfond with new seats in lower bowl and building improvements. Looking forward to the upcoming season. The team should continue to improve after making the playoffs last season and earning some impressive regular season wins.

Re: Maine Black Bears 2011-2012

How does their freshman class look this year?
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Do they have the 2011 roster posted !

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey it's only a Game View Post
        Do they have the 2011 roster posted !
        Yes, it's posted today. 8 new freshman, but 4 sophs no longer on the roster...everyone else eligible is returning.

Comment

Very young team. Katy Massey from Waterville is on the roster. I believe she is a "walkon" and wanted desperately to play for Maine. The coaches preseason poll released today has the Maine women finishing 8th in Hockey east. I'm sure that's because of their youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
            Yes, it's posted today. 8 new freshman, but 4 sophs no longer on the roster...everyone else eligible is returning.
            It's 3...one of whom was a walkon....not sure where she ended up. One is at Bemidji and one is at a top D3 program...maybe Plattsburgh, not sure.

I think the other you are talking about was actually a Sr walkon who was listed as a freshman on collegehockeystats

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              Very young team.
              Team is not as young as it may seem once you look past the 8 freshmen. The team rosters 12 upperclassmen, 7 seniors and 5 juniors. IMHO the ranking may have more to do with teams like Vermont coming in with a killer recruit class bumping them up in the pre-season rankings.

Comment

Great start to the season against Sacred Heart this weekend. Maine had much more talent than this team. I still find it hard to believe that Maine will finish last in Hockey East.

Comment

sacred heart is pretty much a d3 team...

Comment

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
                    sacred heart is pretty much a d3 team...
                    Actually Maine is pretty much a d3 team...sacred heart is club.

Comment

The Maine Team will surprise people as the season goes on,Sacred Heart was not a true test,more or less a chance to get some playing time in for most...but I like the team first attitude and they do have some talent....one of the Freshman/#17 Jennifer More stood out as a player to watch and make some noise....all in all it maybe a up & down season but there is hope and with a steady foundation things for Women UM Hockey could be headed to the upside. I don't think they finish 8th in Hockey East...

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                        Actually Maine is pretty much a d3 team...sacred heart is club.
                        No, Maine is much improved, both on and off the ice. The administration has put more money behind the program and the coaching staff has recruited higher caliber players.
                        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                          No, Maine is much improved, both on and off the ice. The administration has put more money behind the program and the coaching staff has recruited higher caliber players.

I do have to wonder just how much of that funding came at the expense of the 2nd full time assistant position that they cut prior to last season? Given the players that other programs brought in, I can understand why they were picked where they were coming into the season, but the reality is they have been getting better for several years and they finally do have enough good players to be more than competitive and pull out a win on any given day. It's going to be an uphill battle to get into the top 6, but especially with Ott in net, nothing would be too shocking.

This is going to be a big recruiting cycle for them if they want to keep their momentum going as they lose 7 players, including several that have been instrumental in the growth of the program over the last few seasons

Comment

Any pictures of the new look Alfond from the games the other day? I hear there is netting obstructing the view in the balcony and luxury boxes now.
                            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

good weekend for the bears. Coming from behind both nights. 4-0!
                              Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Working...
                              X