X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAC 2011-12 Thread

Who will win the MIAC this season?

St. Thomas appears to have reloaded.
    Hamline looks like they restocked their blueline.
    Concordia-Mooreheard returns a lot of veterans.
    Gustavus always plays tough.

Any thoughts? Predictions?

Re: MIAC 2011-12 Thread

Without a ton of conviction, I am going to go with Gustavus. The MIAC could be a coin flip this year. I think Hamline will come back to the back even though they look to have a nice recruiting class.

Comment

Stab in the dark.

Teams I see near the top of the conference:
      St. Thomas
      Concordia
      Gustavus
      Hamline

Teams that always seem to be indistinguishable to me in the middle:
      St. Olaf
      Augsburg
      St. Johns

Teams that probably have the most to work on:
      Bethel
      St. Mary's

Comment

Curious to know your thoughts behind your pick. Also curious to know why you think Hamline will fall back. They did lose "Mr Everything" in Chris Beringuer but have two USHL dmen coming in. Also return All-American forward Brian Arrigoni as well as several other upperclassmen. Granted they did lose quite few Seniors though. Finally, they do have a very interesting new coach in Scott Steffen.
        But I do agree with you that MIAC could be another coin flip.

Comment

Concordia -MN Returns entire starting roster. Gustavus, returns solid skilled group. Hamline recruited well considering their loss of some big names. St Thomas also has a big class of new recruits arriving. Augsburg competes year in year out.

Going to be a interesting year in the MIAC

1.Concordia-MN
          2.Gustavus
          3.Hamline
          4.St.Thomas
          5.Augsburg

Comment

Every year seems to be a "dog fight" in the MIAC with no clear cut favorite. I guess parity does have it's place in MN D3 hockey. A lot of good players to go around I guess. Too many for any one team to become dominant with. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by puckrfactor View Post
              Every year seems to be a "dog fight" in the MIAC with no clear cut favorite. I guess parity does have it's place in MN D3 hockey. A lot of good players to go around I guess. Too many for any one team to become dominant with. Thoughts?
              It is funny that you say this. I thought that Hamline really started to create some separation with the rest of the league over the last two seasons. Last season I thought Hamline was the strong favorite in every MIAC game they played (much in the way that SNC was a favorite in each NCHA game they played). I doubt that separation will exist this season. They have a super looking class coming in, but their graduation losses are also very significant. Games between the top four schools could be straight up coin flips at the end of the day. The MIAC should be fun to follow this year for sure.

Comment

I would agree that Hamline was one of the favorites to win the MIAC the past two years. But it came down to the last weekend I believe in both seasons. Even though they split with SNC last year, I'm not so sure they were expected to win each game like SNC in their respective leagues. I don't think a lot of people gave Scott Bell enough credit for what he was doing to build Hamline into a national D3 contender. However, I believe the Pipers have learned a ton about themselves over the last several years. And it now comes down to depth and consistency. I believe Concordia MH may be experiencing the same thing. IMO it will be about the middle of the schedule. Hamline lost or tied some games last year where they should have won and separated themselves from the pack. I think they know this and it will be an emphasis going forth. It will be very interesting to see how the Pipers react to new coach Scott Steffen. Early indications are very positive after Bell's surprise exit. Steffen had shown he can certainly recruit, especially given the short timeframe he had to work with though. The most important question is his game coaching abilities. A lot of Hamline's success will rest on the shoulders of senior goalie Beau Christian.

My prediction is it will come down to Hamline and C-MH with ST and GA right in the mix.

Comment

St. Thomas removes interim tag from Boeser's title

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/d3men/#ixzz1Y3ukiG3d

Comment

Just a guess here but...

St. Thomas (they will get Nationally ranked)
                    Hamline
                    Concordia
                    Augsburg
                    Gustavus Adolphus
                    St. Mary's
                    St. Olaf
                    Bethel
                    St. John's

Comment

That's a pretty good turnaround for the Tommies. Nationally ranked? I'd like to hear your reason(s) behind this.

Comment

Originally posted by puckrfactor View Post
                        That's a pretty good turnaround for the Tommies. Nationally ranked? I'd like to hear your reason(s) behind this.
                        Well as I said above, it is a guess. However, I look at the strength of their recruiting class, and see what others in the East have brought in for this year. They placed 2nd in their conference, so why would you suggest it is a turnaround ?? They are also one of the teams nationally that have a long tradition of success. Not scientific but as I said just a guess. The game is still played on the ice and they will be fun to watch especially in the Adrian Tournament.

Comment

I guess you're right in that "turnaround" might've been too strong a term. My response was really in reference to your statement of Nat'l ranking. Just not sure they are there just yet. They do have a nice looking crop of new recruits coming in but still remains to be seen how that all translates to D3. Definitely a well-respected and well-coached team! Looks like Hamline and GA have a good
                          looking group of frosh as well. Another very interesting year in store for the MIAC indeed. Will be fun to watch!!!

For the record, I am going with
                          1) Hamline - good returning class including All-American Brian Arrigoni and senior goaltender Beau Christian. Very good recruiting class especially on the blueline.
                          2) Concordia-MH - returning all starters after an amazing year for the Cobbers last year. They will have something to prove!
                          3)St. Thomas - good incoming recruits. Always competitive and tough.
                          4) Gustavus - consistency, well-coached, decent recruiting class.
                          5-8) Your guess is as good as mine!

With that said, 1-4 could be be a toss up as well. Either way, can't wait for the season to begin!

Comment

I can't wait for the puck to drop. It will be interesting to watch this season especially when teams venture outside the region.

Comment

Yes, can't wait. The Tommies will play in the Adrian Tournament over Thanksgiving break. While the Pipers will head east to the Oswego Tournament during Christmas/New Years break. Any other MIAC teams going east this year?

Comment

Working...
                              X