Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CCHA teams will join WCHA

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    First, Cal Marvin didn't do it. Without Red Jarrett, North Dakota doesn't start up a hockey program. It's really as simple as that. Cal Marvin was definitely an important part of the first years of the North Dakota hockey program, and I don't want to make it seem like he was unimportant.

Second, your previous post said that a bunch of Minnesotans started up the North Dakota program. Red Jarrett was not a Minnesotan. In fact, the very first team ('46-'47) was made up of 13 North Dakotans, 4 Minnesotans and a guy from Washington. That makes it a little hard to argue that a bunch of Minnesotans started the program.
    I heard it was over-aged canadians that started the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      First, Cal Marvin didn't do it. Without Red Jarrett, North Dakota doesn't start up a hockey program. It's really as simple as that. Cal Marvin was definitely an important part of the first years of the North Dakota hockey program, and I don't want to make it seem like he was unimportant.

Second, your previous post said that a bunch of Minnesotans started up the North Dakota program. Red Jarrett was not a Minnesotan. In fact, the very first team ('46-'47) was made up of 13 North Dakotans, 4 Minnesotans and a guy from Washington. That makes it a little hard to argue that a bunch of Minnesotans started the program.
      Red needed Cal because without him UND doesn't have a ice hockey program. Cal went out to recruit a bunch of Minnesotan's to help start up the UND program. http://www.orwicksiou*****/id76.html
      Last edited by 4four4; 09-11-2011, 09:06 PM.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Red needed Cal because without him UND doesn't have a ice hockey program. Cal went out to recruit a bunch of Minnesotan's to help start up the UND program. http://www.orwicksiou*****/id76.html
        You should have just quoted theralph.com there instead of the Orwick Family website (where they quoted that information from). Even still, that site clearly shows that Jarrett was the reason for the program, even though it claims that it was "co-founded" by Marvin and Jarrett. I would disagree with that statement, largely for the following two paragraphs...

Originally posted by Orwick Family Website
        Jarrett, an All-American halfback on UND’s 1930 football team became the football coach and athletic director in the spring of 1947. Jarrett then decided to make the move from club hockey. UND and the city of Grand Forks did not immediately stand by Jarrett’s decision because UND already had two men’s sports in football and basketball.

Jarrett went ahead with his plan and got the Michigan athletic Director, Fritz Crisler, to agree to a two game series against the Wolverines in Ann Arbor. Jarrett worked hard to line up a schedule with other established hockey programs and scheduled games with Minnesota, Colorado College, and Michigan Tech.
        Also, Jarrett makes these decisions prior to soliciting help from Marvin for recruiting purposes. In fact, the varsity program started up in '46-'47 (Jarrett was an "interim" AD prior to getting the job full-time in the spring of '47), whereas the recruiting that Marvin did was prior to the '47-'48 season. Again, I don't want to say that Marvin was unimportant, as he was clearly responsible for bringing in some of the early greats in the program, but he did that after the program had been formed. Therefore, it makes it difficult to argue that he (along with a "bunch of Minnesotans") started the program. They didn't. Jarrett did.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

So this thread about the teams in the CCHA joining the WCHA is full of posts from teams neither in the CCHA, that will not be a part of the WCHA.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
            Why would UND Fighting SIOUX fans be obsessed with a program that's not even been relevant for 3 season?
            You tell me
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              You tell me
              DU is our new heated rival.
              Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
              Eric's Twitter
              The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                So this thread about the teams in the CCHA joining the WCHA is full of posts from teams neither in the CCHA, that will not be a part of the WCHA.
                Talking about how the North Dakota program got started. Yeah, I was thinking that myself, but then again full-bore thread hijacks are nothing new.
                My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

So if they are so anxious to start their own leagues, why is it so hard to start their own threads?

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post
                    So if they are so anxious to start their own leagues, why is it so hard to start their own threads?
                    It seems a bit absurd to think that anyone on this board would ever start a thread about a Big Ten Hockey Conference. The subject is simply taboo and never discussed openly.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on where the new WCHA might hold their tourney. Given the geographic distribution of the future league, it seem far from certain. I doubt the new league will continue in the Excel Center because they probably couldn't come close to filling it, and the center of the league has shifted substantially to the east. The Resch Center in Green Bay seems like a logical choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                        I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on where the new WCHA might hold their tourney. Given the geographic distribution of the future league, it seem far from certain. I doubt the new league will continue in the Excel Center because they probably couldn't come close to filling it, and the center of the league has shifted substantially to the east. The Resch Center in Green Bay seems like a logical choice.
                        Yeah, a place that's nowhere near any of the teams in the league would be a great choice. A veritable financial bonanza.
                        Last edited by MavsFan; 09-12-2011, 11:02 PM.
                        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                          I bet the "new" WCHA stays at the Xcel Energy Center until further notice.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                            Yeah, a place that's nowhere near any of the teams in the league would be a great choice. A veritable financial bonanza.
                            So you would take the XCel, which is an hour from Mankato or St Cloud, but 10 hours from LSSU and 11 from Ferris, 8 from NMU and Tech? Green Bay is no more than 8 hours from any one of the schools who have currently accepted WCHA play, 3 from NMU, 4 from Tech, 5 from LSSU. By your logic, Grand Rapids would be as good a spot as St Paul then, wouldn't it?
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              In fact the Gophers don't have a losing record against many teams in the country.
                              Hey anytime you want a rematch against RIT...

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                So you would take the XCel, which is an hour from Mankato or St Cloud, but 10 hours from LSSU and 11 from Ferris, 8 from NMU and Tech?
                                Sounds good, let's make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X