Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CCHA teams will join WCHA

Originally posted by Goon View Post
    Pretty sure that the NCHC will have that as well as national exposure.
    I don't even think the Big 10 hockey conference will have national exposure, never mind the NCHC. I hope I'm wrong on both accounts, but I don't think I am.
    #NewMass

Comment

Don't discount how much the Big Ten Network, ESPN, and CBS College Sports have influenced the current goings-on in college hockey.

The Big Ten Network is salivating over a BTHC to show in the winter. Look for ESPN II to want a piece of the pie soon, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        It won't surprise me a bit if by the time this is all sorted out SCSU and WMU join the current line up of NCHC teams.
        Agreed. SCSU would be a far better fit than Bowling Green.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
          Don't discount how much the Big Ten Network, ESPN, and CBS College Sports have influenced the current goings-on in college hockey.

The Big Ten Network is salivating over a BTHC to show in the winter. Look for ESPN II to want a piece of the pie soon, too.
          ESPN doesn't even want the NHL, why would they want college hockey? ESPNU broadcasts the occasional Sunday game, but they do far more baseball, softball, soccer and lacrosse than hockey. The tournament gets crappy ratings - do you think it is a coincidence that they leave immediately after the game concludes and broadcast anything but hockey during intermission?

And I doubt the BTN is "salivating" over college hockey. No doubt it's nice for them that there will be a specific BTHC, but they already have plenty of programming (that orange ball).

Comment

I think you might be overvaluing contractual obligations, filler programing and a network that relativley few people on a basic cable package receive. While those networks have increased coverage, there is little incentive for them to show or promote more college hockey than they already do.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              ESPN doesn't even want the NHL, why would they want college hockey? ESPNU broadcasts the occasional Sunday game, but they do far more baseball, softball, soccer and lacrosse than hockey. The tournament gets crappy ratings - do you think it is a coincidence that they leave immediately after the game concludes and broadcast anything but hockey during intermission?

And I doubt the BTN is "salivating" over college hockey. No doubt it's nice for them that there will be a specific BTHC, but they already have plenty of programming (that orange ball).
              What they'll do is lots of Friday and Sunday hockey, since they have basketball to show the rest of the week. And since they don't have to buy the rights, it's better than showing "Inside Northwestern's Engineering Department" or whatever they show outside of live sports now.

If ESPN is interested in college hockey, it's for ESPNU, which is about 40 million households short of ESPN/ESPN2 and often on a premium tier. They might do the equivalent of buying a cup of coffee for the rights. Versus/NBC Sports may be interested in some filler programming while they try to get more sports wrested away from ESPN but the fact that nothing has been leaked since last month about them doing games this year makes me think someone got around to looking at Frozen Four ratings or they telescoped their interest to Notre Dame only.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                Agreed. SCSU would be a far better fit than Bowling Green.
                Not according to Goon and all his UND buddies over on their sites.
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  Versus/NBC Sports may be interested in some filler programming while they try to get more sports wrested away from ESPN but the fact that nothing has been leaked since last month about them doing games this year makes me think someone got around to looking at Frozen Four ratings or they telescoped their interest to Notre Dame only.
                  Notre Dame is expected to move 2 of their football home games to NBC Sports next season - we are going to be seeing far more than just ND hockey on that network in exchange for that.

So my guess would be you are right on that point.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    I love how in the news paper article they link on there they say western would be the prize of the WCHA if they joined. In the last 15 years how many times have they made the tourney? heck how many times in their history have they made the tourney?
                    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                      Hey, I care about the MAC! No one knows Miami has a hockey program, but if they are more than a casual sports fan they could probably tell you that Roethlisberger went to Miami (OHIO). Which sadly is a hell of a lot more then the average joe in non-hockey areas can say about any other college in the NCHC. When Miami is your best recognized school, you have a serious problem if your goal is national exposure.

I realize alot of people in this thread are from very hockey centric areas, but seriously, college hockey is not even on the radar of the average sports fan. Arguing if UMD or SCSU has a greater national draw is pretty ridiculous. Just my personal experience, but I've lived in Michigan (maybe 1 out of 25 could tell you something about college hockey), Ohio (maybe 1 out of 100), and Indiana (lol no).
                      Rapeistburger is a bum and should really pay his old HS to fix up their football field so they don't have a honking crown in its fieldturf. I hate that stadium.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        Have you ever come across an intelligent individual that calls themselves "Goon" ?

Comment

I believe the NCHC will cause world peace...

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                            I love how in the news paper article they link on there they say western would be the prize of the WCHA if they joined. In the last 15 years how many times have they made the tourney? heck how many times in their history have they made the tourney?
                            A st cloud fan making fun of another team for it's post-season success? You can't make this stuff up...

Comment

ESPN doesn't even want the NHL, why would they want college hockey?

ESPN wanted to talk to the NHL, but Bettman was wooed enough by NBC not to entertain them too seriously. And remember, by saying "ESPN", it means their entire lineup. In this case, it would be ESPNU they would be seeking programing for.

And I doubt the BTN is "salivating" over college hockey.

BTN wants to be a major player in the future. Their college football coverage is their bread and butter from September to January...but after that? They want a sport to pick up the Jan-spring lull. College hockey provides that.

Comment

And I doubt the BTN is "salivating" over college hockey.

BTN wants to be a major player in the future. Their college football coverage is their bread and butter from September to January...but after that? They want a sport to pick up the Jan-spring lull. College hockey provides that.
                                IIRC there is another sport on the BTN that kicks it into full gear from January to March...

Comment

Working...
                                X