• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCHA teams will join WCHA

Didn't see this move coming...

Where does UAH go now?

Comment

Seriously people, if the extra auto-bid was all that important to the schools in general, College Hockey America would still exist. Get off the OMG autobid train, because it hasn't gone anywhere in a decade.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

This is the worst decision they could have made. They should have stayed two separate conferences and kept the extra autobid. Then both leagues would have had room for any expansion that comes down the pike. If you were a D-I athletics director, unless you have a Sugar Daddy donor who can bankroll your entire program and get you into the NCHC or are in the Integer, why would you even consider adding ice hockey?

As for UAH, the NCHC can show us that it is truly "national" and their new conference isn't just about cutting loose the chaff by extending an invitation to the Chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
          Didn't see this move coming...

Where does UAH go now?
          If Western stays in the WCHA UAH should be added to make 12 teams. The problem is we all know they don't want that so if they can bolt they will and then I doubt WCHA members would make a 11 team conference.
          Last edited by scsutommyboy; 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM.
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            As for UAH, the NCHC can show us that it is truly "national" and their new conference isn't just about cutting loose the chaff by extending an invitation to the Chargers.
            Um...No thanks.

Comment

This is the worst decision they could have made. They should have stayed two separate conferences and kept the extra autobid. Then both leagues would have had room for any expansion that comes down the pike. If you were a D-I athletics director, unless you have a Sugar Daddy donor who can bankroll your entire program and get you into the NCHC or are in the Integer, why would you even consider adding ice hockey?

Why should they care about expansion? Nobody else in college hockey seems to care, so why should these schools? The heavy weights of college hockey bailed on all these little schools and now you say they wrong by making one strong conference so they have stability?

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                Um...No thanks.
                That's not very "national" of you

Comment

Um...No thanks.
                  Um..why not?

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                    If Western stays in the WCHA UAH should be added to make 12 teams. The problem is we all know they don't want that so if they can bolt they will and then I doubt WCHA members would make a 11 team conference.
                    I could see them hanging at 11 if they get an answer from Moorhead.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Um..why not?
                      'Causes that not what "The National" is all about.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        This is really a different approach. It is really a move that helps some of the CCHA team. Not sure its that big of a benefit to the handful of other WCHA teams.

Yes
                        I agree it is not a benefit to some WCHA teams such as SCSU. The thing is it is the right thing to do to save some of the small CCHA programs. I hope Western stays and they add UAH for a 12 team league.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                          Why should they care about expansion? Nobody else in college hockey seems to care, so why should these schools? The heavy weights of college hockey bailed on all these little schools and now you say they wrong by making one strong conference so they have stability?
                          They should care because if more schools (especially local ones) join it will help with the incredible travel costs they're going to incur in this new conference.

Comment

I'd argue it is the best decision they could have made- for themselves. It isn't necessarily the best for the growth of the sport or the national picture, but it gives the best security to each school. With the larger conference, the individual schools are more insulated from the chance that a school or two (Notre Dame, Western) gets a better offer and leaves, or a school or two loses funding (LSSU, Ferris, BGSU?), etc. Sure, it would be great to have room left to add programs, but if the past 5-10 years are any indication there is more of a risk of teams dropping hockey than adding. Additionally, most of the consistent "adding hockey" rumors are based around schools that would have no interest in the C/WCHA (sure, there's Moorhead, but any Big 10 school, or Navy are going elsewhere), whereas a lot of the "dropping hockey" rumors have come FROM the C/WCHA schools. By aggregating in one conference, these schools won't have to worry about dropping below 6 unless there is some seismic event (in which case we are all f*ed anyways).

The worries about travel seem premature to me, as who knows if there will be divisions (some sort of East/West alignment seems to make sense) which will lighten the load (and likely mean only one Alaska trip per season for most of the eastern schools), plus who knows how many will accept? If Western doesn't join, there's a spot for UAH right there.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                              That's not very "national" of you
                              The National is not concerned about growing its geographical size. It's about getting the best teams, no matter where they are located.
                              Notre Dame Hockey
                              Reigning Big Ten Champions
                              Reigning CCHA Champions
                              Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

'Cause that not what "The National" is all about.
                                So what is the LTHC all about? And why isn't inviting UAH part of it?

Comment

Working...
                                X