Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the negativity towards more TV coverage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the negativity towards more TV coverage?

It seems like when I read the threads regarding the new TV deal with Versus and the expected increased coverage on the BTN when their conference gets started, there is a lot of negativity. I for one don't quite get it. If the goal is to increase the sport, one of the BEST tools for doing so in more TV coverage.

I get that ratings won't be great - but will they be comperable to the ratings Versus is getting for Friday and Saturday otherwise from January-February? I'd say there is a decent chance of it. Yes, it's not going to be a big number, but it will be a number. And with a national network like Versus covering college hockey, they will be more likely to promote it. And if it gets better ratings, who knows what could happen in the future.

We talk about hockey being a niche sport. It's lacrosse also a niche sport? Yet they get their games on ESPN during the regular season. And not for nothing, there really isn't a major leagues of lacrosse for the players to go to, unlike hockey with has the NHL.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Re: Why the negativity towards more TV coverage?

As a college hockey fan, I think it is a good thing because it will increase exposure for the sport. However, as a Gopher hockey fan it is hard to get excited about it because virtually all of our games are televised state-wide already. And to be honest, I don't think increased national exposure will help or hurt our program all that much. Just my thoughts.

Comment

People watch TV because when they're watching TV ... it tells them to watch other stuff. What that means is that audience is related to promotion. If NBC/Versus promotes the schedule then they'll boost their ratings. If they toss it on randomly like Fox College Sports then only the existing audience will find it. College Hockey Inc. should be actively working NBC/Versus to provide a solid promotional backing for the shows. Work out some sort of partnership with NBC perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
        As a college hockey fan, I think it is a good thing because it will increase exposure for the sport. However, as a Gopher hockey fan it is hard to get excited about it because virtually all of our games are televised state-wide already. And to be honest, I don't think increased national exposure will help or hurt our program all that much. Just my thoughts.
        The Gophers have the best ratings of any school in the country so it can't hurt.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

T.V is increasingly a niche market proposition. T.V. can introduce a LOT of money into the college hockey world; enough money to change college hockey rules, college hockey recruiting, even college hockey conferences! The most hardened college hockey reactionaries are being forced to consider the impact T.V. might have upon college hockey and to recognize that T.V. money could "professionalize" college hockey.
          The heated rejections of the desirability and feasibility of T.V. coverage of college hockey is a form of denial.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            The Gophers have the best ratings of any school in the country so it can't hurt.
            Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that it could hurt Minnesota. I just don't know how it could help the Gophers. They are already one of the most recognized programs nationally. Kids that play for the Gophers know they will recieve a lot of exposure. And even if it does increase the exposure of the program nationally, I don't think it will change their recruiting much. I do think it would be good for college hockey in general though, which benefits every program in the long run.

Comment

My only concern is that if Versus ends up only broadcasting games between The Usual Suspects, then that will be one more factor driving a wedge between the Haves and the Have Nots of college hockey.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                My only concern is that if Versus ends up only broadcasting games between The Usual Suspects, then that will be one more factor driving a wedge between the Haves and the Have Nots of college hockey.
                The have nots need to find the right AD/coach. I don't see why Versus should feel the need to televise a Michigan Tech-Bowling Green matchup. I'm all for more TV coverage regardless of who's playing.

Comment

The basis for NBC/Versus' (NBC Sports Network) pursuit of college hockey is twofold: 1) accumulate media properties, and 2) increase capital through advertising and regional broadcast rights fees...that's it folks...period. There's been an intense sports media property arms race within the industry over the past couple years, but most of the media goodies have already been signed (i.e. Pac-12, Longhorn Network, BTN, SEC, Versus/NHL, etc.). The next big media contracts on the table will be when the BTN (2016) and the Big East (2013) leverage their accumulated market assets against ESPN/ABC for top dollar.

NBC Sports Network sees college hockey as a potential media asset. The bottom line is they don't care about increasing interest in college hockey anymore than any other sport, unless it translates into a brand market share with favorable margins. They're working off specific market potential demographics and stats that indicate an emerging nationwide public interest in the NHL. The "normality assumption" is interest in an NHL brand of hockey can be linearly equated to creating a nationwide college hockey TV market.

Given the uncertainty of market response, this most certainly will be a pilot program with an exit strategy. NBC is not going to sell their soul to expand interest in college hockey. If ratings don't match projections, and sponsorship and right fees flatline, they'll most likely pull the plug on college hockey in a heartbeat. Of course this also may prove to be unfavorable for a long term media deal between NBC and the NCHC, if NBC's soon venture into college hockey goes belly up. My guess is public interest will fluctuate, and college hockey will NOT be an immediate nationwide media success. IMO, without specific branding, college hockey in general is still too much of a niche market for nationwide coverage.

Comment

Then why doesn't the have nots step up their college hockey game?
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Oh it's just that easy is it?
                      Just "step up their game?"
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Oh, I don't know, could there be financial issues there?
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I don't think folks are being negative about the TV coverage nor about getting more college hockey televised. I read it as being much more a reaction to those posters, whose teams are going to the big10 or the bhhc, who seem to be overly optimisitic about all the revenue they see getting from all these new leagues and the rumored tv contracts. IMO, they are not being realistic and those revunues will be not be anywhere close to what they are projecting.

Comment

Would UVM (Vermont) be considered a Usual Suspect? If so, I'm all for it!

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                              I don't think folks are being negative about the TV coverage nor about getting more college hockey televised. I read it as being much more a reaction to those posters, whose teams are going to the big10 or the bhhc, who seem to be overly optimisitic about all the revenue they see getting from all these new leagues and the rumored tv contracts. IMO, they are not being realistic and those revunues will be not be anywhere close to what they are projecting.
                              I agree that there is are some overly optimistic expectations of the revenue. Name recognition for the best hockey teams will take some time. Certainly each prodcast on Versus this year (if not every year) will have at least one name that the casual viewer will recognize.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                              X