WCHA, CCHA talk merger (08-03-11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA, CCHA talk merger (08-03-11)

No disrespect, but this league would stink!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
      Hey Bigmgr74:

I'll go with the two leagues with the two automatic bids. I'll take Lake State and Fairbanks in the WCHA. If Lake State would rather stay where they are, I'll takes Huntsville. Hey, Huntsville is like a southern trip and they are worth salvaging.

Many of the NCHA programs, especially UND, UMD, & MN from the Big Ten will still want to keep most of their Minnesota college rivalries.

I guess we'll see after the Notre Dame decision.
      I would have to think that Lake State would want to stick with the other Yooper schools. However, the WCHA taking in Huntsville instead of Fairbanks would be nice way to spread the Alaska schools between the 2 leagues. Anchorage and Fairbanks could be permeantly locked in together in the interlock and two teams from the other league that didn't go to their leagues Alaska school will get to make a trip up to the other Alaska school. We would avoid the problem of having to send a team up to Alaska twice, and in turn, gives the Alaska schools 4 added home games. Other that little tweak, everything else from my plan posted earlier would work out pretty well I think.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Donald is so smrt I bet if he had a blog there'd be tens of followers.

Comment

My plan from earlier, revisited... with the idea of keeping the Alaska schools separate but with a decent compromise that I think even Donald might accept.

UAA, BSU, SCSU, Mankato, MTU, NMU, LSSU, and UAH in the WCHA.
          UAF, FSU, WMU, BGSU, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Niagara and Caniasus into the CCHA.

Either way, both league are at a nice even 8 schools, and I think once things stabilize a little bit, they both could be in the market for another school perhaps. MSU-Moorhead suppose to be working on getting the funds to start up a whole new program, and it might not take long for a school in the NCHA to decide that life in the NCHA isn't all its cracked up to be. And frankly, both leagues at 9 would make an interlock work even better I think.

At 8 teams, each school would play each school home and home, for 28 games each. With each league getting to use the Alaska exemption, that means the schools can play up to 36 games. That would just mean that an interlock would just likely be 4 games.

At 9 teams, each team playing a home and home would mean they would play 32 games, so the deal here would be that they would play 4 schools within the league home and home for 16 games that way, 2 schools away for 4 games, and then the last 2 schools at home for 4 games, for a total of 24 league games, and then you easily have room for the interlock to give each school 6 games that way, for a total of 30 games apiece. And the added bonus of keeping the Alaska's in separate leagues in a nine team league, you could easily make Anchorage and Fairbanks interlock partners, and then whatever schools from the other league that didn't go to Alaska, they would come up to the other Alaska school, thus meaning the Alaska schools would get 4 home games every year that they don't necessarily have to pay for those teams to come up there.

And I guess other schools on both sides of the league could opt to become interlock partners. But with the way I've got everybody sorted out out here, I don't think there would be an real rush for anybody wanting to always square off with any one school in the other league.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

AHA schools are supposedly refusing to be in the same league as UAF. Back to the drawing board...

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
            My plan from earlier, revisited... with the idea of keeping the Alaska schools separate but with a decent compromise that I think even Donald might accept.

UAA, BSU, SCSU, Mankato, MTU, NMU, LSSU, and UAH in the WCHA.
            UAF, FSU, WMU, BGSU, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Niagara and Caniasus into the CCHA.

Either way, both league are at a nice even 8 schools, and I think once things stabilize a little bit, they both could be in the market for another school perhaps. MSU-Moorhead suppose to be working on getting the funds to start up a whole new program, and it might not take long for a school in the NCHA to decide that life in the NCHA isn't all its cracked up to be. And frankly, both leagues at 9 would make an interlock work even better I think.

At 8 teams, each school would play each school home and home, for 28 games each. With each league getting to use the Alaska exemption, that means the schools can play up to 36 games. That would just mean that an interlock would just likely be 4 games.

At 9 teams, each team playing a home and home would mean they would play 32 games, so the deal here would be that they would play 4 schools within the league home and home for 16 games that way, 2 schools away for 4 games, and then the last 2 schools at home for 4 games, for a total of 24 league games, and then you easily have room for the interlock to give each school 6 games that way, for a total of 30 games apiece. And the added bonus of keeping the Alaska's in separate leagues in a nine team league, you could easily make Anchorage and Fairbanks interlock partners, and then whatever schools from the other league that didn't go to Alaska, they would come up to the other Alaska school, thus meaning the Alaska schools would get 4 home games every year that they don't necessarily have to pay for those teams to come up there.

And I guess other schools on both sides of the league could opt to become interlock partners. But with the way I've got everybody sorted out out here, I don't think there would be an real rush for anybody wanting to always square off with any one school in the other league.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              AHA schools are supposedly refusing to be in the same league as UAF. Back to the drawing board...
              Seems kinda silly to me to worry about having to fly up there for one weekend a year when they cover most of the plane trip. Fine then, Swap Huntsville and Fairbanks around, and then work out the early interlock deal so that the AHA's don't have to go to Alaska. Once they're in, then they can be scheduled to go to the North for the interlock.

One measly trip a year, they cover a good chunk of it, and you get the option of playing 2 extra games to boot out of it, which could be done either at home, or at another school for a non-con payday. Still think that my plan would work out pretty good even for them.

It just happens.

Comment

My preference ...
                WCHA: UAA, UAF, SCSU, BSU, MSU, Tech, NMU
                CCHA: FSU, BGSU, LSSU, Mercyhurst, RMU, Niagara, Canisius, UAH
                Independents or BHHC (as if I care ...): Notre Dame, WMU

And I'll just restate (not to be a *****) ... a future WCHA without UAF isn't acceptable to us UAA fans. I don't see interlocking scheduling agreements as the same thing as being conference mates ... and it just isn't. And remember ... UAA and UAF never get to play more than the NCAA maximum 34 game schedule. I think that it would be proper and definitely good form for the WCHA to bring UAF in. Lesser action is a slap in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                  My preference ...
                  WCHA: UAA, UAF, SCSU, BSU, MSU, Tech, NMU
                  CCHA: FSU, BGSU, LSSU, Mercyhurst, RMU, Niagara, Canisius, UAH
                  Independents or BHHC (as if I care ...): Notre Dame, WMU

And I'll just restate (not to be a *****) ... a future WCHA without UAF isn't acceptable to us UAA fans. I don't see interlocking scheduling agreements as the same thing as being conference mates ... and it just isn't. And remember ... UAA and UAF never get to play more than the NCAA maximum 34 game schedule. I think that it would be proper and definitely good form for the WCHA to bring UAF in. Lesser action is a slap in the face.
                  Doubtful UA gets into the WCHA unless CCHA & WCHA merge. *****http://th13.***********.com/albums/a255/ahuacate/Smilies/th_eatpopcorn.gif******
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 08-05-2011, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Doubtful UA gets into the WCHA.
                    Aren't they going up there for a visit?
                    "My greatest achievement."
                    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                      Aren't they going up there for a visit?
                      You call it a "visit," I believe the mafia calls it a "shakedown."
                      *****http://tacticalip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/shakedown-114x150.jpg******
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Its always interesting to hear the arguments against Alaska schools because of Alaska travel, because those are mostly myths solidly dispelled on this board years ago.

What is also interesting is to hear the complaints about travelling -- which seem to me the exact reasons the National schools pulled out of the WCHA -- e.g., the other schools either didn't ahve the budget or were always worried about the budget. I am confused as to why travel to Denver and CC were NEVER a problem for the WCHA schools -- and yet Alaska was/is? I don't have an answer, I'm not making some grand statement -- I just think its odd that flying to Denver and CC for the past 50 years has seldom, if ever, come up as a problem for the WCHA schools. Having travelled a fair bit myself, and having once lived in Anchorage, once you're on the plane, a direct flight to Anchorage is only marginally longer than a flight to Denver or Colorado Springs. In the end, aren't you still flying, not bussing? ( IN FACT -- the Alaska schools pay the travel costs anyhow -- something Denver and CC do not do). So where is the difference?

In my opinion, it was the petty foolishness of smaller-budget schools which helped split up the Alaska schools, combined with a bone of contention for some larger schools who resented any travel (Michigan, almost single handedly through Berensen, really did a number on screwing over the Alaska schools and he sold the travel issues to the other smal budget schools). I believe its time for that childish notion to be put to rest, and UAF and UAA should be able to play in the same league (if they want) as CC and Denver. Just my opinion. I don't see any merit to the whimpering about travel costs and travel time. It just doesnt hold up to scrutiny.

And then, in a hilarious bit of myopic local-yokel theater, we have a few folks who say: We'd rather play Barabas -- er -- sorry -- I mean Moorhead State.

I have put my cards on the table long ago -- I prefer LSSU to be part of the WCHA because I think the WCHA schools are better situated, and more dedicated to hockey, than any of the remaining CCHA schools. And certainly more than any AHA team. So in a way, I see the Alaska arguments as helpful to my own school's cause.

As for UAH, I think its a crime that the CCHA refused to grant UAH membership (once again, looking at Michigan's hockey program which took the lead in this homicide). UAH should already be part of the CCHA, but I guess that ship is sailed. What is sad is that now the CCHA leadership STILL wants to turn a cold shoulder to UAH.
                        Last edited by Lakerblue; 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                          UAF into the WCHA is a gotta have for me or I'll be feeling like Mike Anderson feels right now.
                          And this is why nobody takes you seriously. Do you want to be in the same conference with UAF? Sure. WE GET IT. But you will not be getting boned A TENTH as much as UAH if they stay separated. You get to play them twice a year, sorry it costs you OOC games. I now hope it happens unless keeping them separate will help provide smaller schools more games, more $, and keeps programs open. However, UAH had their conference fall out from their feet, the CCHA act like they were the home of the Detroit Red Wings, and have to go independent. What did they do? Keep going, keeping playing hockey, and hold out for a glimmer of hope. And then the best thing for UAH ever happened... college hockey Armageddon. And it still stounds like they may be stuck inside looking out a window watching the other kids play. And you think that if your program, which is in ZERO chance of folding, doesn't get their rival in their league, they got screwed just as bad? You HAVE a rival that you play every year. _untsville would love to have a rival, or approximately 50% of their games played at home, or a conference....

I/others can and have carefully interpreted the language of the exemption clause and it is pretty clear. I don't see any ruling or whatever that "they" will have to make. It was structured to compensate programs for the hardship of travel ... if you travel twice then certainly it's reasonable that you'd be compensated twice. I'm not NCAA expert so I'm not going to sit here and guarantee that 4 games is how it will be but I can't find a reason either to imagine that it won't be.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Donald is so smrt I bet if he had a blog there'd be tens of followers.
                          Is it SOLELY the fact that the U will not be a conference opponent anymore 24 short months from now that I'm starting to like you, or is it comments like this? Methinks the latter.

Ummm... are they STUPID? They'd be willing to pass up a chance to hand out scholarships, be bigger fish in the pond and get extra games some/most years because they are that afraid to go to Alaska? Will someone tell these East Coast liberals that Palin is usually in the lower 48 these days?
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                            And this is why nobody takes you seriously. Do you want to be in the same conference with UAF? Sure. WE GET IT. But you will not be getting boned A TENTH as much as UAH if they stay separated. You get to play them twice a year, sorry it costs you OOC games. I now hope it happens unless keeping them separate will help provide smaller schools more games, more $, and keeps programs open. However, UAH had their conference fall out from their feet, the CCHA act like they were the home of the Detroit Red Wings, and have to go independent. What did they do? Keep going, keeping playing hockey, and hold out for a glimmer of hope. And then the best thing for UAH ever happened... college hockey Armageddon. And it still stounds like they may be stuck inside looking out a window watching the other kids play. And you think that if your program, which is in ZERO chance of folding, doesn't get their rival in their league, they got screwed just as bad? You HAVE a rival that you play every year. _untsville would love to have a rival, or approximately 50% of their games played at home, or a conference....

I/others can and have carefully interpreted the language of the exemption clause and it is pretty clear. I don't see any ruling or whatever that "they" will have to make. It was structured to compensate programs for the hardship of travel ... if you travel twice then certainly it's reasonable that you'd be compensated twice. I'm not NCAA expert so I'm not going to sit here and guarantee that 4 games is how it will be but I can't find a reason either to imagine that it won't be.

Is it SOLELY the fact that the U will not be a conference opponent anymore 24 short months from now that I'm starting to like you, or is it comments like this? Methinks the latter.

Ummm... are they STUPID? They'd be willing to pass up a chance to hand out scholarships, be bigger fish in the pond and get extra games some/most years because they are that afraid to go to Alaska? Will someone tell these East Coast liberals that Palin is usually in the lower 48 these days?
                            I know, I still think my interlock plan with the Alaska schools separate and both leagues working toward the goal of both being at 8 for the 2013-14 with an eye towards both going to nine while kind of collectively sticking it to the NCHA schools, would be the best interest for all parties in the long run. Heck, Syracuse is likely just a big donation away from finally starting up their own program, and there's not a whole lot of room for them right now in either Hockey East or the ECAC. And I would doubt that a donor would be dropping a couple million into the program there with the idea that they would have to languish in AHA. While the retooled CCHA wouldn't exactly have a lot of pizzazz, there's would be some decent schools there, and with them bringing the CCHA to 9 schools, they would have ample chances to get some decent Non-Con games against some of the East Coast powers. I would think that the idea of possibly getting a huge draw like the Orange regularly into their barns, and thus, bringing in a whole lot more attention to their own programs to the point where they should be a little more able to gather some local funding to improve their barns, having to take a mostly paid plane trip to Alaska would be a pretty small price to pay for that.

I'm not saying that Syracuse is going to just jump up there and want to join the CCHA right now, but honestly, were else would they likely go should they get a check somewhere near the range that PSU got?? That chance is out there, and being ready for it would increase their odds of that happening. And if the Orange don't jump, well, odds are that somebody else might, and it would improve their conference as a whole. A paid trip to Alaska with them getting an extra weekend of games out of it would be a well worth while investment to be ready to take that gamble.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                              I know, I still think my interlock plan with the Alaska schools separate and both leagues working toward the goal of both being at 8 for the 2013-14 with an eye towards both going to nine while kind of collectively sticking it to the NCHA schools, would be the best interest for all parties in the long run. Heck, Syracuse is likely just a big donation away from finally starting up their own program, and there's not a whole lot of room for them right now in either Hockey East or the ECAC. And I would doubt that a donor would be dropping a couple million into the program there with the idea that they would have to languish in AHA. While the retooled CCHA wouldn't exactly have a lot of pizzazz, there's would be some decent schools there, and with them bringing the CCHA to 9 schools, they would have ample chances to get some decent Non-Con games against some of the East Coast powers. I would think that the idea of possibly getting a huge draw like the Orange regularly into their barns, and thus, bringing in a whole lot more attention to their own programs to the point where they should be a little more able to gather some local funding to improve their barns, having to take a mostly paid plane trip to Alaska would be a pretty small price to pay for that.

I'm not saying that Syracuse is going to just jump up there and want to join the CCHA right now, but honestly, were else would they likely go should they get a check somewhere near the range that PSU got?? That chance is out there, and being ready for it would increase their odds of that happening. And if the Orange don't jump, well, odds are that somebody else might, and it would improve their conference as a whole. A paid trip to Alaska with them getting an extra weekend of games out of it would be a well worth while investment to be ready to take that gamble.
                              Syracuse has its own issues with the sports they have now. Not to mention, where are they going to play? Certainly not Tennilly. They aren't getting a team anytime soon.

Comment

Got a link on that? I know at least half of the "AHA-4" would love the two extra home games, and I'd wager it's more like 3 of the 4.
                                Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Working...
                                X