This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The College Hockey Championship Belt Part III

Congrats to Boston College on winning The Belt.
    Code:
                       Current Holder         Next Defense
    The Belt           Boston College         Ferris State 04/07/2012
    AHA Belt           Air Force              next year
    CCHA Belt          Western Michigan       next year
    ECAC Belt          Union                  next year
    HEA Belt           Boston College         next year
    WCHA Belt          Minnesota              next year
    Ivy Belt           Harvard                next year
    B1G                Michigan               next year
    NCHC Belt          North Dakota           next year
    New England Belt   Boston College         next year
    Massachusetts Belt Merrimack              next year
    Michigan Belt      Western Michigan       next year
    Michigan Alternate Northern Michigan      next year
    Minnesota Belt     Minnesota              next year
    New York Belt      Union                  next year
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Congrats to Boston College on retaining The Belt.
      Code:
                         Current Holder         Next Defense
      The Belt           Boston College         next year
      AHA Belt           Air Force              next year
      CCHA Belt          Western Michigan       next year
      ECAC Belt          Union                  next year
      HEA Belt           Boston College         next year
      WCHA Belt          Minnesota              next year
      Ivy Belt           Harvard                next year
      B1G                Michigan               next year
      NCHC Belt          North Dakota           next year
      New England Belt   Boston College         next year
      Massachusetts Belt Merrimack              next year
      Michigan Belt      Western Michigan       next year
      Michigan Alternate Northern Michigan      next year
      Minnesota Belt     Minnesota              next year
      New York Belt      Union                  next year
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ralph

Could we have a play-up belt (current holder Ferris State)?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Ralph

Could we have a play-up belt (current holder Ferris State)?
          Sure we could, but it is isn't necessarily the case that Ferris would have it.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We could have a d2 and d3 belt it's just a matter of doing the research.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Very true. A D3 Playup Belt would be weird in that CC probably has held it at times for several years in a row without a defense.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Say that I wanted to start researching a D3 Play-up Belt. Would it be fair to say that games involving teams from the west (CC) before the 1951-2 season (when the MCHL was founded) don't count as play-up games? Similarly, would it be fair to use the start of the 1964-5 season (when the ECAC split into two divisions) as the point in time when games involving teams from the east (CCT, SLU, Union, RPI) started counting as play-up games? Those are the seasons when the division between D-I and D-II/III really emerged.

Alternatively, I could start the research in 1904 with the first Union-RPI game and work forward, but that brings up the question of "What constitutes a 'play-up' game if there are no separate divisions?"
                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                  Say that I wanted to start researching a D3 Play-up Belt. Would it be fair to say that games involving teams from the west (CC) before the 1951-2 season (when the MCHL was founded) don't count as play-up games? Similarly, would it be fair to use the start of the 1964-5 season (when the ECAC split into two divisions) as the point in time when games involving teams from the east (CCT, SLU, Union, RPI) started counting as play-up games? Those are the seasons when the division between D-I and D-II/III really emerged.

Alternatively, I could start the research in 1904 with the first Union-RPI game and work forward, but that brings up the question of "What constitutes a 'play-up' game if there are no separate divisions?"
                  We should start with the teams that currently are D-III schools. Once they either completely drop hockey, go to D-III hockey, or move their entire program up to D-II or higher (perhaps some research into that happening is warranted; you must move down and then back up, though), they are dropped from contention, but should they leave with possession of the belt, we create a new belt similar to what happens when a folding team leaves hockey with a state belt.
                  Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    We should start with the teams that currently are D-III schools. Once they either completely drop hockey, go to D-III hockey, or move their entire program up to D-II or higher, they are dropped from contention, but should they leave with possession of the belt, we create a new belt similar to what happens when a folding team leaves hockey with a state belt.
                    But that doesn't answer the question about how to treat Colby, Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Norwich, and Amherst (Eastern teams that were around in the 50s / 60s, but went to D2 / D3 when the ECAC split). Were they eligible for the belt? Or were those games not considered games between play-up teams because there weren't separate divisions, hence no play-up teams?

ETA: Obviously, you can tell where I stand on this issue.
                    Last edited by burgie12; 06-25-2012, 09:26 AM.
                    Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                      But that doesn't answer the question about how to treat Colby, Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Norwich, and Amherst (Eastern teams that were around in the 50s / 60s, but went to D2 / D3 when the ECAC split). Were they eligible for the belt? Or were those games not considered games between play-up teams because there weren't separate divisions, hence no play-up teams?

ETA: Obviously, you can tell where I stand on this issue.
                      I think this may be the first time that we'd have to bring the considerations of non-hockey NCAA sports into consideration. Not to completely dodge your question, but perhaps another one should be asked: When did the ECAC Belt start? If it started at the formation of the league (and does not include any tri-state competition or anything similar), then I would think we should start at the point that the divisions are created.

Comment

When did the ECAC Belt start? If it started at the formation of the league (and does not include any tri-state competition or anything similar)
                        The ECAC Belt started with the first ECAC games (fall 1961). I forget who did the research on this belt and established the start date (it was likely Sean Pickett).
                        Go Red!!

Comment

I think this may be the first time that we'd have to bring the considerations of non-hockey NCAA sports into consideration. Not to completely dodge your question, but perhaps another one should be asked: When did the ECAC Belt start? If it started at the formation of the league (and does not include any tri-state competition or anything similar), then I would think we should start at the point that the divisions are created.
                          Agreed. There were no playups until Divisions started.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Agreed. There were no playups until Divisions started.
                            OK, I'll ask the next question: Are RPI, CCT, SLU, and CC the only eligible ones at the start? What would constitute a "play-up"?

Comment

OK, I'll ask the next question: Are RPI, CCT, SLU, and CC the only eligible ones at the start? What would constitute a "play-up"?
                              I don't think so. MTU has always been a western playup. UND was a playup most of the time, and for some periods Denver was also. I think that all were at the start but it will take research.

Edit: I don't recall when divisions started but there may be others, e.g. UMD.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                I don't think so. MTU has always been a western playup. UND was a playup most of the time, and for some periods Denver was also. I think that all were at the start but it will take research.

Edit: I don't recall when divisions started but there may be others, e.g. UMD.
                                Also, what divisions are we using in the consideration of "play-up"? I believe burgie12 only wanted to consider D-III.

Comment

Working...
                                X