Beantown Women's Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beantown Women's Classic

Anybody have any information on the teams registered in the new Beantown Women's Classic set for Marlborough this coming weekend? I heard through the 'grapevine' that the College Division has some Elite players and a number of Olympians playing. What's the scoop?

Re: Beantown Women's Classic

Originally posted by Stick Boy View Post
    Anybody have any information on the teams registered in the new Beantown Women's Classic set for Marlborough this coming weekend? I heard through the 'grapevine' that the College Division has some Elite players and a number of Olympians playing. What's the scoop?
    Yeah, from what I'm hearing the whole "fair and balanced teams" thing that was touted has gone out the window with quite a few stacked teams.

Comment

the word i have is that info has been slowwwwww to be posted and team rosters are just being finalized. with that said, does look like the balancing of teams has been left to the participants, so there probably won't be much balancing. i'm hearing the bu/bc/yale alliance team is stacked!! regardless the competition for these girls/ladies has to be better than when they participated in the chowder cup (which is a very good for younger talent and fun event).

Originally posted by Hux View Post
      Yeah, from what I'm hearing the whole "fair and balanced teams" thing that was touted has gone out the window with quite a few stacked teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        From what I understand, the college division is supposed to be open to college players (and girls that are commited D1), but the Futures division is really where the college coaches will want to go and scout players (ie. "future" college players). Then you have the younger aged divisions as well. But, by virtue of it being a summer tournament and everyone wanting to win, of course there will likely be stacked teams at every age, but at least it's within an age group. You know what you're getting in the college division if you play there, and the Futures and younger divisions should be some up and coming talent!

Comment

http://beantownclassic.com/contents/...heduleresults/

there is an excell file posted of the schedule at this website - note alot of the "college" division and senior games are at the NAVIN rink and not at the NE Sports Center, which is not what was expected. Don't know the rosters, just that alot of players too old for Chowder cup signed up to play just for fun , ie summer hockey..they claim there are no "gate" fees to watch these games, so not expecting much...

NAVIN RINK SCHEDULE:

29-Jul Navin
          Time Home Away Divison

8:30am Beantown Prospects v. Skudkin COLL
          9:50am Blizzard v. Claw Dogs COLL
          11:10am Team New England v. Hudi and the Carpfish SENIOR
          12:30pm Senior AA Stars v. Team Athletic Republic SENIOR
          1:50pm Blizzard v. Skudkin COLL
          3:10pm Claw Dogs v. Toms Sporting Goods COLL
          4:30pm Team Athletic Republic v. District 5 COLL
          5:50pm Team New England v. Senior AA Stars SENIOR
          7:10pm Team Athletic Republic v. Beantown Prospects COLL

30-Jul Navin
          Time Home Away Divison
          7am Claw Dogs v. District 5 COLL
          8:20am Hudi and the Carpfish v. Senior AA Stars SENIOR
          9:40am Fiery Ficus v. Beantown Prospects COLL
          11am Blizzard v. Toms Sporting Goods COLL
          12:20pm Team Athletic Republic v. Detroit Belle Tire COLL
          1:40pm Team New England v. Beantown Prospects SENIOR
          3pm Fiery Ficus v. District 5 COLL
          4:20pm Hudi and the Carpfish v. Blizzard SENIOR
          5:40pm Claw Dogs v. Beantown Prospects COLL
          7pm Fiery Ficus v. Skudkin COLL
          8:20pm Team Athletic Republic v. Toms Sporting Goods COLL
          9:40pm Blizzard v. District 5 COLL
          Last edited by sheba; 07-27-2011, 08:16 AM. Reason: added Navin RInk schedule

Comment

This will be an excellent tournament for the Division 1 player and the graduated one. I know 3 teams stack with Olympians and excellent division 1 player who are on the roster for Team USA and Team Canada. Wait and see! I wish I could go!

Comment

Originally posted by sheba View Post
              http://beantownclassic.com/contents/...heduleresults/

there is an excell file posted of the schedule at this website - note alot of the "college" division and senior games are at the NAVIN rink and not at the NE Sports Center, which is not what was expected. Don't know the rosters, just that alot of players too old for Chowder cup signed up to play just for fun , ie summer hockey..they claim there are no "gate" fees to watch these games, so not expecting much...
              This is run by the same person that runs the Toronto Prospects Event in June. There was a college division at the June event with some excellent hockey. Yes there were some stacked teams, but at least all teams were stocked with college aged players, unlike chowder which can be a real mismash of ages within the same division. The top five to six teams at Prospects were loaded with high end talent.

Don't think gate fees drive the quality of competition. Gate fees are a function of profit taking. Chowder charges $1800/team plus gate fees, 3 game guarantee. Beantown charges $1500/team (college div), 4 game guarantee and no gate fees. If you are looking at the dollars and cents, if everything else is equal the choice is obvious.

There has been a clear impact on Chowder, as it's AA division is half the size of last years field, and our schedule was changed several times since the original one came out a few weeks ago, presumably driven by conflicts between the two events, as some players are playing in both.

Bottom line, it will be interesting to compare the two after the weekend is past, as it will be a leading factor for the future of both events. I can't see both events running on the same weekend year after year.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 07-27-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                There has been a clear impact on Chowder, as it's AA division is half the size of last years field, and our schedule was changed several times since the original one came out a few weeks ago, presumably driven by conflicts between the two events, as some players are playing in both.
                So, who else is going to be @ either the Beantown Classic or Chowder Cup ... or both??

Any recommended brewpubs around any of the rinks?

Comment

I didn't intend that the quality of competition is related to the lack of gate fees.. I should have separated the comments - I think gate fees are ridiculous for summer tournaments - especially when you have to buy a "weekend pass" and only can watch one game! I think that at the College and Senior levels, the player participants are looking to just have fun and are playing with teams with their friends who don't expect alot of balance and parity anyway.

Comment

Here's the link:
                    http://beantownclassic.com/wp-conten...rs-Basic1.xlsx

Comment

Originally posted by Sporty Fan View Post
                      My antiquated version of Excel can handle the schedule, but not the rosters
                      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                        My antiquated version of Excel can handle the schedule, but not the rosters
                        DC...It required some trickery for me to be able to see the data. For some reason the file was stored as a ZIP file, and within the ZIP file it was full of files with XML tags, but no content. So to un-trick the file error type, click on the link, and do a "Save Target" and save the file to your desktop. Then change the file type from ".zip" to ".xls" or ".xlsx" and then open the file with excel. Best to save as ".xls", as that is compatible with older versions of Excel.

Good Luck.....

Comment

DC...It required some trickery for me to be able to see the data. For some reason the file was stored as a ZIP file, and within the ZIP file it was full of files with XML tags, but no content. So to un-trick the file error type, click on the link, and do a "Save Target" and save the file to your desktop. Then change the file type from ".zip" to ".xls" or ".xlsx" and then open the file with excel. Best to save as ".xls", as that is compatible with older versions of Excel.

Good Luck.....
                          I'm on a Mac and could read the file. No zip issues.

But you can also download the file & upload it to Google Documents ... it will convert the file to the Google spreadsheet format and you can read it/print it, etc.

Comment

Good Luck.....
                            Thanks. It's showing up in properties as a .xlsx, which is beyond the scope of my current version. I can open the document, but it's not translating. I have tried saving as a few different file types I can open, but it doesn't clean up.

I also tried the Google docs route, which is what I do to circumvent my horse and buggy, but it said it was unable to open the document. I'll try later at home....
                            Last edited by DC78-82; 07-27-2011, 03:11 PM.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                              Thanks. It's showing up in properties as a .xlsx, which is beyond the scope of my current version. I can open the document, but it's not translating. I have tried saving as a few different file types I can open, but it doesn't clean up.

I also tried the Google docs route, which is what I do to circumvent my horse and buggy, but it said it was unable to open the document. I'll try later at home....
                              Check your email. See if that worked ...

Comment

Working...
                              X