Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I don't get College Hockey Inc.

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
    Perhaps college coaches should actually listen to what Paul Kelly and College Hockey Inc is saying......relax the rules and allow CHLers the opportunity to play. Seeing the drubbing that many of the elite schools are taking at the hands of the CHL, perhaps these coaches won't be so quick to scream for an excemption when the NCAA is changing its amature policy and rules.
    Except that the college coaches aren't the ones who actually make the rules.
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Isn't that allowed because it's two different sports? They're still amateurs for football. Or am I misunderstanding the NCAA's rules?
    You have it right. Chris Weinke could not have come back and played college baseball for Florida State, but he was still considered amateur in football. That being said, the rules don't appear to be quite that cut and dried. I seem to remember a piece once on a University of Colorado wide receiver who was a world-class downhill skier. He couldn't accept money for his skiing, for some reason, or he would loose his amateur status for football. Now why you could take money for minor league baseball but not for skiing is beyond me
    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post

You have it right. Chris Weinke could not have come back and played college baseball for Florida State, but he was still considered amateur in football. That being said, the rules don't appear to be quite that cut and dried. I seem to remember a piece once on a University of Colorado wide receiver who was a world-class downhill skier. He couldn't accept money for his skiing, for some reason, or he would loose his amateur status for football. Now why you could take money for minor league baseball but not for skiing is beyond me
      He could not accept endorsement money WHILE playing college football. I think if he had done his skiing thing before playing football (like Weinke and Wilson)...he'd be ok.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The NCAA needs to change the rules. All of these rules about endorsements and other things are silly. I mean a player should be able to sell his rights to be marketed to make a little money on the side. It seems immoral to deny them that opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          He could not accept endorsement money WHILE playing college football. I think if he had done his skiing thing before playing football (like Weinke and Wilson)...he'd be ok.
          That would explain the difference, although it seems like a pretty arbitrary line. Oh well, the NCAA is really good at arbitrary.
          sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
            :
            No but they certainly influence how the rules are implemented......two or three years ago, college hockey had the option of making CHL players elligible but they refused despite changes in the NCCA rules that allowed players to play in leagues with pro players.....http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4579737

It's really time to end this silly rule!

Comment

Perhaps college coaches should actually listen to what Paul Kelly and College Hockey Inc is saying......relax the rules and allow CHLers the opportunity to play. Seeing the drubbing that many of the elite schools are taking at the hands of the CHL, perhaps these coaches won't be so quick to scream for an excemption when the NCAA is changing its amature policy and rules.
              I doubt this happens.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                I doubt this happens.
                I do think there should be some leniency given to the decisions of (15?),16,17 year old kids (specifically Canadians) like trying out for a CHL team, riding the pine for a CHL team, playing for a CHL team. I don't think its appropriate for the NCAA to dictate that a (15?)16-17 year old that can't play college choosing to play against the best competition they can (major juniors). The current defections have little to do with him and more to do with players choosing the other route or NHL teams pushing players to choose major juniors. This whole committing to a US university and never playing a game for them and choosing to go CHL is nothing knew. I remember it happening to a goalie that committed to Michigan Tech during the Sertich years (2002) and chose to go to Sudbury after a stellar season in the USHL(Marty Magers).
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I doubt this happens.
                  So why is it O.K for other NCAA sports but not hockey? The only reason certain college coaches are against it is because they fear losing out on the very elite NHL bound players....but guess what, they already are. Only 4 NCAA "affiliated" players were taken in the first round this year and 3 of those have now opted for the CHL.
                  Allowing CHL players would open up a large talent pool that would especially help the middle to lower level D-1 programs in attracting and keeping talent.

Comment

So why is it O.K for other NCAA sports but not hockey? The only reason certain college coaches are against it is because they fear losing out on the very elite NHL bound players....but guess what, they already are. Only 4 NCAA "affiliated" players were taken in the first round this year and 3 of those have now opted for the CHL.
                    Allowing CHL players would open up a large talent pool that would especially help the middle to lower level D-1 programs in attracting and keeping talent.
                    I agree. How does this help the University of Minnesota?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      I do think there should be some leniency given to the decisions of (15?),16,17 year old kids (specifically Canadians) like trying out for a CHL team, riding the pine for a CHL team, playing for a CHL team. I don't think its appropriate for the NCAA to dictate that a (15?)16-17 year old that can't play college choosing to play against the best competition they can (major juniors). The current defections have little to do with him and more to do with players choosing the other route or NHL teams pushing players to choose major juniors. This whole committing to a US university and never playing a game for them and choosing to go CHL is nothing knew. I remember it happening to a goalie that committed to Michigan Tech during the Sertich years (2002) and chose to go to Sudbury after a stellar season in the USHL(Marty Magers).
                      I agree. From a Minnesota POV they don't want to help the Canadians instead they want to help the Minnesota kid.

Comment

I agree. How does this help the University of Minnesota?
                        A Peter Mueller would have went to the WHL for one season and then joined Minnesota for one or two more before turning pro...a win for Minny as well as Mueller.

Comment

A Peter Mueller would have went to the WHL for one season and then joined Minnesota for one or two more before turning pro...a win for Minny as well as Mueller.
                          Maybe but his age was a problem.

Comment

It's not OK for other sports. You can compete in NCAA sports only if you have not played "professionally" in your sport. They relaxed the rule so you could be pro in sport A and still be elegible in sport B. That's it. You play bouncyball for $, you can't play NCAA BB. Same for hockey and I don't see them making an exception for hockey. The only hope would be redefining the CHL teams as amatuer.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              The only hope would be redefining the CHL teams as amatuer.
                              Well, CHL players do make less than most SEC football players and the NCAA considers SEC football players amateurs ....
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Well, CHL players do make less than most SEC football players and the NCAA considers SEC football players amateurs ....
                                How much more do CHL players "make" than USHL, BCHL players?

Comment

Working...
                                X