Realignment and TV Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realignment and TV Markets

These are television markets only, no print or radio rankings are included.

The teams are listed as to current commitments to play beginning 2013 (NMU is listed in the WCHA because they have committed to the conference by that time.) As of this writing (07/25/2011) ND, WMU, UA-F, etc. have not made commitments to other conferences and are listed in their current conference. The B1G Hockey Conference was not included because it is comprised of the flagship universities which would have statewide coverage.

(#) = market ranking
    NL = Not listed in the top 201 markets

NCHC
    Colorado C. (91)
    Denver (18)
    Miami (NL [34 Cincinnati])
    Minnesota – Duluth (139)
    Nebraska – Omaha (76)
    North Dakota (NL)

WCHA
    Alaska - Anchorage (150)
    Bemidji State (NL)
    Michigan Tech (NL)
    Minnesota State - Mankato (199)
    Northern Michigan (180)
    St. Cloud State (NL)

CCHA
    Alaska - Fairbanks (202)
    Bowling Green (182/73 [Toledo])
    Ferris State (NL)
    Lake Superior State (NL)
    Notre Dame (89 [South Bend/Elkhart])
    Western Michigan (39 [Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek])

AHA teams looking to move to the CCHA
    Canisius (51)
    Mercyhurst (146)
    Niagara (51)
    Robert Morris (23)

Unaffiliated
    Alabama - Huntsville (82)

Source: http://www.stationinde*****/tv/tv-markets
    Michigan State University Spartans
    NCAA Champions - 1966, 1986, 2007

Re: Realignment and TV Markets

Originally posted by greenG View Post

The teams are listed as to current commitments to play beginning 2013 (NMU is listed in the WCHA because they have committed to the conference by that time.) As of this writing (07/25/2011) ND, WMU, UA-F, etc. have not made commitments to other conferences and are listed in their current conference. The B1G Hockey Conference was not included because it is comprised of the flagship universities which would have statewide coverage.

(#) = market ranking

NCHC
    Colorado C. (91)
    Denver (18)
    Minnesota – Duluth (139)
    Nebraska – Omaha (76)
    North Dakota (NL)

WCHA
    Alaska - Anchorage (150)
    Bemidji State (NL)
    Michigan Tech (NL)
    Northern Michigan (180)
    St. Cloud State (NL)

CCHA
    Alaska - Fairbanks (202)
    Ferris State (NL)
    Lake Superior State (NL)

Canisius (51)
    Mercyhurst (146)
    Niagara (51)
    Robert Morris (23)

Unaffiliated

North Dakota (Grand Forks) is considered part of the Fargo-Valley City market (#120).
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

(#) = market ranking

NCHC
      Colorado C. (91)
      Denver (18)
      Minnesota � Duluth (139)
      Nebraska � Omaha (76)
      North Dakota (NL)

WCHA
      Alaska - Anchorage (150)
      Bemidji State (NL)
      Michigan Tech (NL)
      Northern Michigan (180)
      St. Cloud State (NL)

CCHA
      Alaska - Fairbanks (202)
      Ferris State (NL)
      Lake Superior State (NL)

Canisius (51)
      Mercyhurst (146)
      Niagara (51)
      Robert Morris (23)

Unaffiliated

as per Nielsen DMA http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...MA%20Ranks.pdf
      And this Map http://www.truckads.com/licensed_affiliates1.asp#usamap

Bemidji- Minneapolis/St. Paul - 15
      Cloud- Minneapolis/St.Paul-15
      Nodak- Fargo/Valleycity-120 (might as well include minot market as well-157)
      Lake state- traverse city/cadillac-119
      Ferris state- traverse city/cadillac-119
      Tech- marquette-179

Comment

Western Bias.

Comment

Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
          as per Nielsen DMA http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...MA%20Ranks.pdf
          And this Map http://www.truckads.com/licensed_affiliates1.asp#usamap

Bemidji- Minneapolis/St. Paul - 15
          Cloud- Minneapolis/St.Paul-15
          Nodak- Fargo/Valleycity-120 (might as well include minot market as well-157)
          Lake state- traverse city/cadillac-119
          Ferris state- traverse city/cadillac-119
          Tech- marquette-179
          If Bemidji hosts NMU is the game televised in Minneapolis?

Comment

The B1G Hockey Conference was not included because it is comprised of the flagship universities which would have statewide coverage.
            If you are going to use this approach, to remain consistent North Dakota and Alaska (Fairbanks) are also considered their states' flagship universities and should be considered as having statewide coverage.
            sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Maybe you should be looking to see if current (last year) TV agreements will hold up after the make-over. Fox North will still have N Dak and Minn if they are not on BTN. Fox Det will probably shadow Mich and MSU when they are not on BTN. But where does Comcast's hockey that was CCHA but almost always with Mich. or MSU and whom ever they are playing. I don't think the CCHA will be much of a draw in the biggest markets of MI and Ohio by showing Ferris or BGreen. I would hate to see it but college hockey on local TV may take a hit on this one.
              He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

If Bemidji hosts NMU is the game televised in Minneapolis?
                Actually, it probably is. tptMN carries some of the BSU games and it is available on comcast and I believe directv as well. I watched SCSU play Bemidji this year in Minneapolis.

Also, comcast carried almost all of the SCSU home games in Minneapolis on one of their public access channels.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                  If you are going to use this approach, to remain consistent North Dakota and Alaska (Fairbanks) are also considered their states' flagship universities and should be considered as having statewide coverage.
                  Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
                    Maybe you should be looking to see if current (last year) TV agreements will hold up after the make-over. Fox North will still have N Dak and Minn if they are not on BTN. Fox Det will probably shadow Mich and MSU when they are not on BTN. But where does Comcast's hockey that was CCHA but almost always with Mich. or MSU and whom ever they are playing. I don't think the CCHA will be much of a draw in the biggest markets of MI and Ohio by showing Ferris or BGreen. I would hate to see it but college hockey on local TV may take a hit on this one.
                    BTN has several overflow channels, more than enough to show all of the B1G games. I expect that FSD and Comcast won't have B1G games after the founding of the new conference. The CCHA may benefit from this, depending on how much FSD and Comcast want to broadcast college hockey. My guess is, the networks will find basketball games to broadcast instead of small college hockey.

Comment

The Bowling Green on your link is for Bowling Green, Kentucky. Bowling Green, Ohio gets its commercial TV from Toledo.

Comment

BTN has several overflow channels, more than enough to show all of the B1G games. I expect that FSD and Comcast won't have B1G games after the founding of the new conference. The CCHA may benefit from this, depending on how much FSD and Comcast want to broadcast college hockey. My guess is, the networks will find basketball games to broadcast instead of small college hockey.
                        BTN doesn't use the overflow channels outside of football.

Q: Why does the BTN stream additional basketball games instead of showing them on the overflow channels as it does with football?

A: Here’s what BTN spokesman Mike Vest had to say.

“Overflow channels aren’t available during basketball season because of the capacity of our facility in Houston. There are a lot of other games that are fed out of Houston during prime time in the season, such as NBA, NFL and other college games, as well as ours.”
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

here's a question to add to the fire here. Shouldn't a teams market be where most of the alumni live vs where the school is. I would bet most St lawrence alum do not live in rural NY state for instance. Wouldn't their strongest market come from the city of NY? Isn't that where most TV sets that would watch a St Lawrence game be?
                          Last edited by manurespreader; 07-26-2011, 11:04 AM.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            here's a question to add to the fire here. Shouldn't a teams market be where most of the alumni live vs where the school is. I would be most St lawrence alum do not live in rural NY state for instance. Wouldn't their strongest market come from the city of NY? Isn't that where most TV sets that would watch a St Lawrence game be?
                            You'd want to cover in the area where the school is, but only a few games (as opposed to the whole season), so that you entice the townies to go to the arena and watch the games in person, thereby increasing revenue for the school in the form of ticket sales. Although you could make the same case for showing most of the games, so that people can go and get their second and a half to wave and look silly. Alumni showing ability is nice, but you also have to figure that with the advent of the internet, most of them are already tuning in via their school's means (B2, streaming radio, live "blogging" on the USCHO score threads ). Not to mention, there's no guarantee that a large group of alumni flock to a specific location.

Given your location, I'll forgive your ignorance regarding the state of NY.

Comment

Originally posted by mmb5 View Post
                              The Bowling Green on your link is for Bowling Green, Kentucky. Bowling Green, Ohio gets its commercial TV from Toledo.
                              Thank you. Where I'm situated, in Michigan, I assumed it was the local BG.

Comment

Working...
                              X