Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU and ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU an

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    8 teams is a nice sounding number and all. But, the non-conference schedule would be only 6 games (not counting the potential 4 exempt games for playing UAA and UAF in Alaska). 6 teams ain't enough though. 7 might be the right number if you ask me. With an unbalanced schedule (play everyone 3 times?) you might just be able to find a palatable solution to the horror of flying all the way to the great white north 2 times.

Something unrelated:
    And to everyone in the press and here quoting WCHA rules ... do you really think that the WCHA can't just vote to set aside rules that in the past made conference membership more of a pain? Please quit quoting current WCHA rules which were put in place by hegemonic entities in order to suppress the less powerful members of the former conference.
    Can teams play 38 games or is there a 36 game cap?

If the league has 8 teams I don't see a problem with UA being in the league. each team could have a travel partners and teams that travel to alaska would have to play two straight weekends and stay the week inbetween. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal.
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Re: Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU an

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post

If the league has 8 teams I don't see a problem with UA being in the league. each team could have a travel partners and teams that travel to alaska would have to play two straight weekends and stay the week inbetween. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal.
      38 is ok...as for your 2 straight weekend thing, we've discussed this before. It would either have to occur while the traveling team is on the road (i.e. thanksgiving week for Michigan Tech) or the NCAA would have to give a waiver to allow a lower 48 team to spend the week in Alaska while classes are in session.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        38 is ok...as for your 2 straight weekend thing, we've discussed this before. It would either have to occur while the traveling team is on the road (i.e. thanksgiving week for Michigan Tech) or the NCAA would have to give a waiver to allow a lower 48 team to spend the week in Alaska while classes are in session.
        And since UAA and UAF are granted that waiver every year ... then it's especially not a problem. Here's the thing though ... the Alaska teams probably aren't overly concerned with the number of conference games per year. Typically, I think UAA and UAF wouldn't have a hard time coming up with non-conference opponents. In fact, I think they'd both easily fill their schedule. But how many non-conference games are Mankato, MTU, SCSCU and Bemidji going to want to have to schedule? Is there a magic number? Is 10 too many for any of them? An insular conference schedule (i.e. what the WCHA has currently) is fine when you've got "powerhouses" in the mix but I can't feature a 28 game conference schedule going forward ...

I'm just sooooo into the 7 ...
        8? not so much ...

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          And since UAA and UAF are granted that waiver every year ... then it's especially not a problem. Here's the thing though ... the Alaska teams probably aren't overly concerned with the number of conference games per year. Typically, I think UAA and UAF wouldn't have a hard time coming up with non-conference opponents. In fact, I think they'd both easily fill their schedule. But how many non-conference games are Mankato, MTU, SCSCU and Bemidji going to want to have to schedule? Is there a magic number? Is 10 too many for any of them? An insular conference schedule (i.e. what the WCHA has currently) is fine when you've got "powerhouses" in the mix but I can't feature a 28 game conference schedule going forward ...

I'm just sooooo into the 7 ...
          8? not so much ...
          It's just my opinion but I don't think Tech will have any trouble filling 10 non con games what so ever. I agree that it could be a benefit. I'm also ok with 8 teams. but again, that's just my opinion. I think you will see teams like UMTC/ UMD/ Wisconsin looking for a number of games in and around Minnesota so I don't think the other teams will squawk either.I'd also like to see 2 exemptions for the teams that go North and play two series. I think it's an advantage recruiting wise.
          Last edited by manurespreader; 07-21-2011, 08:24 AM.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Going back to the "southern Minnesota" schools discussion, there's no way the WCHA would or should leave out MSU-M or SCSU. As much as it pains me to say so, recent history clearly demonstrates that St Cloud is the top of the remaining teams. I hope that changes soon, but it's reality for now. With SCSU in the mix, MSU-M fits geographically. Plus they are the only team against whom we won a series last year, so they have to stick around. I just don't see how any one can argue that we add another Alaska school instead of two Minnesota schools for geographic reasons????? I'd be happy with 8 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post

Actually, it is possible to play 39 games, as the Hall of Fame game is also exempt.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                It's just my opinion but I don't think Tech will have any trouble filling 10 non con games what so ever. I agree that it could be a benefit. I'm also ok with 8 teams. but again, that's just my opinion. I think you will see teams like UMTC/ UMD/ Wisconsin looking for a number of games in and around Minnesota so I don't think the other teams will squawk either.I'd also like to see 2 exemptions for the teams that go North and play two series. I think it's an advantage recruiting wise.
                It certainly would be interesting to see what kind of schedule Michigan Tech could put together with 10 NC games and NMU as a conference member. The fact that the NCHC and B1G are at 6 bodes well for MTU getting games with those teams as well as a few series with eastern team. I'd expect the GLI (2 games), 1/2 series with an eastern team (2/4 games) and 3/4 series with the NCHC/B1G schools. I would be surprised if MTU/Wisconsin didn't continue a relationship with 1 series a season...maybe rotating like this (2-Madison, 2-Green Bay, 2-Madison, 2-Houghton over 4 years).
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Danny Martin isn't one to write something like that without something to go on, so I'm assuming he knows something. Since this is the local Fairbanks rag I'm going out on a real long limb here and saying that it will be the Nanooks and either Moorhead or Lake State. I don't think WMU will make a move until Notre Dame announces their intentions.
                  Danny Martin also thought that Colorado College was DI in all athletics, and that if he calls the NCHC "the Nat" enough it wil catch on! You ever watch him do an interview? It's brutal. Great guy....not so great reporter(except when he copies, cuts, and pastes). Alaska has obviously sent in a app, along with LSSU. Moore-head isn't even a DI team yet. Can they even apply? Anyone know?
                  All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                    My hope: LSSU applies to the WCHA with UAF, both are admitted, and the league offices are located in Houghton, the most centralized location and the city and school.
                    I have always likes LSSU, and have rooted for them when not playing us. I like what you are thinking here.
                    All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      The UAA athletic director was on the radio this afternoon talking about the new UAA sports arena (that does not include hockey). A caller asked him about the "new" WCHA and would _airbanks be part of it, and Cobb said UAA was going to fight very hard to get UA_ into the WCHA. He said we should know something in a month. I hope it doesn't take that long, but this thing seems to be a real mess right now.
                      I still CANNOT wrap my head around the new UAA sports arena not including hockey!!!! I just don’t get it. I have opinions on how that whole bait and switch took place, but putting that aside, I find it utterly idiotic that the main athletic program of the university wasn't the focal point of the sports complex. Simply perplexed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
                        I still CANNOT wrap my head around the new UAA sports arena not including hockey!!!! I just don’t get it. I have opinions on how that whole bait and switch took place, but putting that aside, I find it utterly idiotic that the main athletic program of the university wasn't the focal point of the sports complex. Simply perplexed.
                        I sincerely think there is more to the UAA arena than the public knows about. A 5,000 seat arena for D2 basketball and volleyball is a little excessive. My hunch is that either hockey will be included or they will use it to jump to D1 in other sports.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Exactly. That's why Moorhead has given themselves that three-month window to get enough money to prove that starting a program is feasible - and that's just the first step. Whether or not they can jump through all the hoops remains to be seen.

After Fairbanks (which I'm expecting sooner or later), I doubt that an eighth team gets added in any hurried fashion. There's at least a whole 'nother year for these things to get hammered out, and other decisions should be expected by then.
                          It will be sooner than later. You have to scheduling into account here. Teams usually are scheduled out more than 2 years from what I understand. You can’t schedule a team that doesn’t exist. It would be to the benefit of everyone to get these leagues set quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            I sincerely think there is more to the UAA arena than the public knows about. A 5,000 seat arena for D2 basketball and volleyball is a little excessive. My hunch is that either hockey will be included or they will use it to jump to D1 in other sports.
                            I hope they include hockey. I really don't care about the other sports much. I agree 5000 seat for DII basketball, and volleyball is crazy. I wouldn't believe they ever pull more than 2k fans per game for any of those teams (other than playoffs).

Comment

It certainly would be interesting to see what kind of schedule Michigan Tech could put together with 10 NC games and NMU as a conference member.
                              Enjoy seeing LSSU, FSU, BGSU, and Bobby Mo every year.

The fact that the NCHC and B1G are at 6 bodes well for MTU getting games with those teams as well as a few series with eastern team. I'd expect the GLI (2 games), 1/2 series with an eastern team (2/4 games) and 3/4 series with the NCHC/B1G schools. I would be surprised if MTU/Wisconsin didn't continue a relationship with 1 series a season...maybe rotating like this (2-Madison, 2-Green Bay, 2-Madison, 2-Houghton over 4 years).
                              NMU took Wisco to the negotiating table just to get the 2-Madison, 2-Badger Showdown (Madison), 2-Green Bay (Neutral) a few years back. Wisco looks at Green Bay as a "home" game for their fan base who can't make it to Madison, and NMU banks the gate intake (after fees). This upcoming agreement was just for 2-Madison, 2-Green Bay.

Denver had no interest whatsoever in making a reciprocal trip to the UP for our stint in Denver. That was 2-Denver, 2-Denver Showcase, here's your check, thanks.

NoDak even went further by just wanting us for two games in Grand Forks. No reciprocal trip ever. Take the big check and there's the on-ramp toward MQT.

I would imagine for NMU, the Wisco series will remain. Maybe not every two years, but I believe every graduating class from NMU will see one Wisconsin series. The Green Bay/Milwaukee/Southeast Wisconsin corridor is collecting more alumni, and it's a great marketing tool for the University.

I really don't see NMU ever being invited to play with Michigan and (to some extent) Michigan State. If anything, we'll be invited to the GLI and see them that way. If there even is a GLI in two years. Maybe a once a decade invite to East Lansing/Ann Arbor... but I don't see it. We'd likely get tOSU as a Ten-Year non-con agreement before we play Michigan (anywhere (regular season)), once they join the B1G.

I have heard that NMU wants to continue making trips to WMU and ND. For ND, that will likely turn into a NoDak/Denver situation where we take a big check and always drive to South Bend. Western may be more amicable and want to venture back.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Enjoy seeing LSSU, FSU, BGSU, and Bobby Mo every year.

NMU took Wisco to the negotiating table just to get the 2-Madison, 2-Badger Showdown (Madison), 2-Green Bay (Neutral) a few years back. Wisco looks at Green Bay as a "home" game for their fan base who can't make it to Madison, and NMU banks the gate intake (after fees). This upcoming agreement was just for 2-Madison, 2-Green Bay.

Denver had no interest whatsoever in making a reciprocal trip to the UP for our stint in Denver. That was 2-Denver, 2-Denver Showcase, here's your check, thanks.

NoDak even went further by just wanting us for two games in Grand Forks. No reciprocal trip ever. Take the big check and there's the on-ramp toward MQT.

I would imagine for NMU, the Wisco series will remain. Maybe not every two years, but I believe every graduating class from NMU will see one Wisconsin series. The Green Bay/Milwaukee/Southeast Wisconsin corridor is collecting more alumni, and it's a great marketing tool for the University.

I really don't see NMU ever being invited to play with Michigan and (to some extent) Michigan State. If anything, we'll be invited to the GLI and see them that way. If there even is a GLI in two years. Maybe a once a decade invite to East Lansing/Ann Arbor... but I don't see it. We'd likely get tOSU as a Ten-Year non-con agreement before we play Michigan (anywhere (regular season)), once they join the B1G.

I have heard that NMU wants to continue making trips to WMU and ND. For ND, that will likely turn into a NoDak/Denver situation where we take a big check and always drive to South Bend. Western may be more amicable and want to venture back.
                                I don't see the GLI going anyway because Michigan and MSU have a very open schedule now and don't have anything else at the Joe anymore. It will be interesting to see who the 4th team is...if it ends up being a rotation of the other Michigan schools or continues to include eastern teams. I highly doubt it includes an NCHC team going forward. As for the UW/MTU/NMU relationship...who knows what that holds but I would think UW might start making the occasional trip to the UP since they can't have everything at home and MTU/NMU are 2 of the shortest trips available for UW. Who knows...maybe it just ends up that UW plays MTU & NMU both twice each year with one series in GB and the other in Madison each season. I hope that at least occasionally those games will take place in Marquette and Houghton.

Comment

Working...
                                X