Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Yeah, Not that GR isn't a great place for a regional, but honestly, the west regional should be somewhere west of Chicago somewhere. Having both Toledo and GR for the regionals is just going to hurt attendance for both of them I think.
    I partially agree and partially disagree.

Attendance WILL suffer.

The "West" regional should be west of the Mississippi River. Yes, I know, that rules out Madison but if Bucky wants to host one it doesn't have to be a "West". After all, next year they become part of the Big Ten Hockey Conference. Look at the geography involved. Very different than the WCHA they are accustomed to.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7
    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
      I noticed it during the UOIT game. At first it looked like some of the overhead general lighting went out then came back. Finally during the 2nd period I figured out it was dependant on what was on the scoreboard.

Also it appears there a several banners missing. There used to be four rows. I fond it hard to believe they consolidated them into 2 rows.
      Agree. My thoughts are that the scoreboard is too big and hangs too low. The changes in lighting is definitely noticeable at the fan level... how it affects the netminders and other players may also be a factor.

I'll have to take a closer look at the banners this weekend. My guess is, with the renovations basically just beginning, there is a grand plan for that also.

No one has mentioned the new "horn". Big change from the old "fire alarm" type buzzer.

New policies on bags and snazzy new threads for our events (security) people.

I wonder if our P.A. guy has been told to reel it in, also??

Comment

The scoreboard and banners will be higher next year once all of the renovations are completed.

Comment

Good to know the s-board will go a little higher. It's only been hit once.. Sat. game!
          Maybe I'm getting used to the light changes better but it can mess with you if you are high up and cannot avoid seeing it in the line of sight. Sat. night the board flashed football score before the game (very quick) then nothing the rest of the evening.
          I hope it will not be standard operating procedure to have the band play while the PA is trying to tell us about penalties and scoring. The sound is bad enough as is...

I hope in the rework to come that the press move 'up' does not include the TV cameras. They are too high as is, no feel for speed when your looking at the same angle as the Goodyear blimp.
          He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
            Good to know the s-board will go a little higher. It's only been hit once.. Sat. game!
            Maybe I'm getting used to the light changes better but it can mess with you if you are high up and cannot avoid seeing it in the line of sight. Sat. night the board flashed football score before the game (very quick) then nothing the rest of the evening.
            I hope it will not be standard operating procedure to have the band play while the PA is trying to tell us about penalties and scoring. The sound is bad enough as is...

I hope in the rework to come that the press move 'up' does not include the TV cameras. They are too high as is, no feel for speed when your looking at the same angle as the Goodyear blimp.
            Don't even get me started on the audibility of the PA system. It is no better than before they "Upgraded" it 10 years ago.

I don't have any problem feeling the speed of the game from my seats. I am curious why they have two cameras side by side in the press box at center ice but are not using the platform by the band.

One other thing - I don't remember the scoreboard on the south wall before. Is that new or is my memory failing?
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

One other thing - I don't remember the scoreboard on the south wall before. Is that new or is my memory failing?
              Our usher said it was new (well, bringing back and old) as the teams can't see the new scoreboard from the benches.

Comment

Don't even get me started on the audibility of the PA system. It is no better than before they "Upgraded" it 10 years ago.

I don't have any problem feeling the speed of the game from my seats. I am curious why they have two cameras side by side in the press box at center ice but are not using the platform by the band.

Couldn't agree more on the PA. That has been a problem since I started going to games in 1975, and probably long before that. The acoustics are as bad as you would expect in a building with steel girders built in the 1920s, but bad acoustics doesn't mean you should have a bad sound system--just the opposite. I know that there is somebody else who posts on this thread who is more qualified to comment on the sound system than I am.

I agree with you that they need to improve their camera coverage--2 cameras, both at center ice, don't always give you the options you need. I think the replays have been very slow as well; hopefully that will improve. The goal replay should be playing as soon as the goalie digs the puck out of the net, and exciting or important plays that don't result in goals (great saves, penalties) have not been replayed at all. I kind of wonder how much the director actually knows about hockey.

The south wall scoreboard has been there for 15 years or so--since they installed the previous center ice scoreboard--but it was never turned on for varsity games until this year. I assume it is there so the refs and players don't have to skate to the boards and crane their necks just to see the time remaining.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

What's wrong with the TV coverage? wT was on ALL night.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    What's wrong with the TV coverage? wT was on ALL night.
                    Only 27 times for Tuesday's game. My group in section 17 is keeping track of how many times we are on. After this weekend we're going to establish an over/under number for the season and take bets (or not since gambling, even 50/50 charity raffles, is wrong).

Does anyone know anything about Bentley's team? I had to look up where they are from.
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Sure can't read that there was a real blow out based on that score. I was very relieved when we scored that 3rd goal.

Michigan sure looks tired- but this time, I can understand it. But if I can complain- they look exhausted playing in our zone, but with some energy on offense...

Good thing we only had one penalty. One? This is Michigan, right? Shocking.

Lots of things to work on, but considering that this is the 4th game in 6 days, a win is a win.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Sure can't read that there was a real blow out based on that score. I was very relieved when we scored that 3rd goal.

Michigan sure looks tired- but this time, I can understand it. But if I can complain- they look exhausted playing in our zone, but with some energy on offense...

Good thing we only had one penalty. One? This is Michigan, right? Shocking.

Lots of things to work on, but considering that this is the 4th game in 6 days, a win is a win.
                        Yep, one PK- and they let a team with an 8% PP from last season, score. It was like watching a practice- up and down etc. The turnovers and defensive coverage was pretty poor. Faceoffs looked to be split, too. Good thing Bentley doesn't have many snipers. I did like the third period, though- held them to 3 shots and put pressure in their end during whole shifts. The three goal outburst at the end was long in coming. I agree, though- they are feeling the effects of the schedule. Meet tonight, then rest for a couple days before St. Lawrence next Thursday, then a tough road trip to NMU next weekend.

I liked Bentley, though- small, speedy, gritty. Good forechecking team. Clogs the shooting lanes in their end well. Like their coach said, they didn't finish strong. I think we would have gotten bit if they had a couple real scorers. Hunwick was good when he had to be, though. 1 goal in six periods isn't too shabby, even if it is against the weaker sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          I liked Bentley, though- small, speedy, gritty. Good forechecking team. Clogs the shooting lanes in their end well. Like their coach said, they didn't finish strong. I think we would have gotten bit if they had a couple real scorers. Hunwick was good when he had to be, though. 1 goal in six periods isn't too shabby, even if it is against the weaker sisters.
                          I agree- they were a fun opponent to watch. Almost stunning that they goalie seemed to have a letdown at the end of the game like that. The play will test our legs for speed, but they won't beat us to exhaustion with hitting. Should be intereting tonight to see who came off worse from last night- them from our forcheck or us from their speed and the number of games.

Comment

Yet another game where the score does not refect how close the game really was. ENG's will do that for you. The third goal was SO late, after a ton of shots.

Tired.

One of my biggest early season pet peves has really come up- blind passes or touch passes- so few of them are anywhere close at this point, it's kind of aggrivating to watch. And a lot of the passes were not with much effort, so are easy to interrupt. Granted, Bentely was clogging the lanes all night, but we were not exactly making that task all that hard.

And their goal- scrabling in our zone, again, a dump out, again, but this time the dump didn't make it out... more scrambling and a goal. There were times that our D looked like a Mite game, with the team following the puck around. No wonder they are so tired.

Oh, well, a win is a win. Scoring wise, those freshmen. Yea, they are good. If Hyman gets going....

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                              Couldn't agree more on the PA. That has been a problem since I started going to games in 1975, and probably long before that. The acoustics are as bad as you would expect in a building with steel girders built in the 1920s, but bad acoustics doesn't mean you should have a bad sound system--just the opposite. I know that there is somebody else who posts on this thread who is more qualified to comment on the sound system than I am.
                              During a previous life I did some advanced high end, albeit amateur (serious), sound engineering. I think the problem is the way the speakers are dispersed around the arena rather than clustered in the middle.

Think about the sound wave leaving from all those different distances from your ear and the fact that sound travels at very close to 1100 feet per second - they arrive at your ear several milliseconds apart muddying up everything. Every sports arena has difficult sound challenges but none sound as bad as Yost. The difference - the others all have the PA speakers clustered in basically one place.
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

They changed the scoring on the goals from Tuesday's game against Niagara. It now shows Brown, T. Lynch, Sparks, Sparks, Brown.

Sparks "loses" his Hat Trick. ;-(
                                Row 1
                                Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Working...
                                X