Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    So...how does the U-18 team look, relative to seasons past?
    Small and quick. Maybe not as much offensive firepower, but future Wolverines looked pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
      Must be serious for him to miss over one month.
      The "RUMOR" I heard last night was that Red did not make the decision on length - it was dictated from the NCAA and Red basically went along.

The "RUMOR" went on that it had something to do with while he was with the NTDP!
      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
      Row 1
      Seats 6 & 7
      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
        The "RUMOR" I heard last night was that Red did not make the decision on length - it was dictated from the NCAA and Red basically went along.

The "RUMOR" went on that it had something to do with while he was with the NTDP!
        Hmm. So why would Michigan say "violation of team rules"? Saying "violation of team rules" makes it look like Merrill did something he shouldn't have, or didn't do something he should have, while he was at Michigan. Why say that if it's not true? Also, why no word from the NCAA? The NCAA is pretty public about when they have suspended student-athletes (see links below for examples).

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...repay+benefits

Berenson said this in the official press release regarding the suspension: "Jon has an obligation to the team and he did not live up to those responsibilities. He needs to be accountable to his teammates and this program both on the ice, around campus and in the community." That certainly doesn't sound like it is about an NCAA rule violation while at the USNTDP.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Well, regardless of the reason, Merrill is gone until the series down in Miami. This will impact Michigan's conference efforts at NMU and at home against FSU and WMU. That could be significant. OTOH, Clare, Serville, Chiasson, Moffie, Bennett and Pateryn all played pretty well tonight against Niagara and will have a chance to gain more cohesion and confidence against Bentley and St. Lawrence before hitting the road.

I believe Sinelli and Rohrkemper sat out with Szuma (hurt?) and Merrill suspended.

Nice to see Lindsay Sparks pot a hat trick and freshman Travis Lynch add a shortie. Chris Brown spent too much time in the box, but also added a goal. DiGuiseppe had one waived off on a cheap goaltender interference call on Guptill that had Red talking to the officials after the game about it. Hyman and Guptill didn't look out of place although Alex missed a wide open net on a rebound chance and blew it high and wide.

Hunwick looked sharp although had trouble giving up fat rebounds. Decent in zone coverage and speed wore down Niagara. Michigan took too many penalties for my liking, but it was a good opening effort.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Nice to see Lindsay Sparks pot a hat trick ...
            I was a little disappointed that not a single hat was thrown on the ice for that. Just how bad is the economy when people won't give up a greasy old hat?
            No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
              I was a little disappointed that not a single hat was thrown on the ice for that. Just how bad is the economy when people won't give up a greasy old hat?
              I took it that people were not paying much attention and by the time they reallized that it was his third of the night, thought it would look stupid to throw a hat on the ice.

Team looked much better last night. I was very worried after the first two games.
              Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

I think the fans were still in exhibition mode, too. Tuesday night twilight game and the big azz scoreboard blinded them.

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
                  I took it that people were not paying much attention and by the time they reallized that it was his third of the night, thought it would look stupid to throw a hat on the ice.

Team looked much better last night. I was very worried after the first two games.
                  The announcement could have been a little better on the hat trick....

Comment

Pretty darned good solid start.

As scared as we are about the scoring, at least we know there are players who CAN. It's more a matter of them being able to relax and find the back of the net on a regular basis. I'm pretty impressed with the creativity in the offensive zone- there was some good passing and even some communication for a first game. The big question is if/when players get into a slump, will others step up?

Defense- well, there were too many times where the 5 guys on the ice seemed to be watching what was going on, and they had problems getting the puck out of the zone quite a few times. Thankfully, Niagara was not able to really take advantage of that, and got a handful of good scoring chances.

Power Play- was ok. I was expecting a lot worse, but they moved the puck reasonably well, and even got a goal. If they can have one thing they seem to want to work on is the pass to a one time slap shot- but that's not limited to the PP, since they missed every chance the entire game...

PK. Outside of the blue line, the penalty kill was great, as it has been for a LONG time. Pressure deep, really messing up neutral zone passing lanes, and forcing deep dump ins- just like we like it. I see that they are struggling with cycling coverage once the offense gets into the zone, though. And you can see them get really tired, too. A few times, they just could not dump the puck at all. But as bad as I see that, they still scored a great shorty, AND got goals just as penalties ended. Not worried about this what so ever. And I think that the base D and the PK D is related to each other- so fix one, get both.

No need to post about the goalies.

One play really made me nervous- late in the second period, one of our forwards cheated on a face off, which lead to Niagra getting a rather uncontested break in, and subsequent pressure (and face off). Hope they see that during the film watching. Can't cheat like you could in younger leagues.

Great to see wolvereneTrumpet and Streaker. Good lord that scoreboard. Oh, on that, did anyone else notice the ice brightness change as they changed the screen? Or that there's a darker patch right at center ice? Great for the fans, sure, but there are some issues with how it actually can alter play....
                    Last edited by alfablue; 10-05-2011, 07:20 AM.

Comment

We're "hosting" the 2013 West Regional.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...100511aaa.html

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                        We're "hosting" the 2013 West Regional.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...100511aaa.html
                        That's just weird. So there's a regional in Toledo, and it is guaranteed that Michigan will not be playing in that regional (because they will be in Grand Rapids, Michigan, if they make the tournament). I wonder if the Toledo arena and host Bowling Green are a little annoyed that a major draw less than 1 hour from the arena won't be there.

Not to mention the fact that a team is hosting a regional that isn't even the closest regional to their campus. When has that ever happened?

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alton View Post
                          That's just weird. So there's a regional in Toledo, and it is guaranteed that Michigan will not be playing in that regional (because they will be in Grand Rapids, Michigan, if they make the tournament). I wonder if the Toledo arena and host Bowling Green are a little annoyed that a major draw less than 1 hour from the arena won't be there.

Not to mention the fact that a team is hosting a regional that isn't even the closest regional to their campus. When has that ever happened?
                          I had very similar thoughts. There are enough good teams in the area though that depending on how seeds and match-ups shake out Toledo may still have decent attendance (ND, MSU, Miami, tOSU). But Michigan easily would have been the best hope for attendance at a Toledo regional.

Nice to have 2 regionals in the CCHA footprint after last year's foolish idea of hosting in St. Louis. Goodbye CCHA, here have a couple regionals.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            I had very similar thoughts. There are enough good teams in the area though that depending on how seeds and match-ups shake out Toledo may still have decent attendance (ND, MSU, Miami, tOSU). But Michigan easily would have been the best hope for attendance at a Toledo regional.

Nice to have 2 regionals in the CCHA footprint after last year's foolish idea of hosting in St. Louis. Goodbye CCHA, here have a couple regionals.
                            Yeah, Not that GR isn't a great place for a regional, but honestly, the west regional should be somewhere west of Chicago somewhere. Having both Toledo and GR for the regionals is just going to hurt attendance for both of them I think.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              Good lord that scoreboard. Oh, on that, did anyone else notice the ice brightness change as they changed the screen? Or that there's a darker patch right at center ice? Great for the fans, sure, but there are some issues with how it actually can alter play....
                              I noticed it during the UOIT game. At first it looked like some of the overhead general lighting went out then came back. Finally during the 2nd period I figured out it was dependant on what was on the scoreboard.

Also it appears there a several banners missing. There used to be four rows. I fond it hard to believe they consolidated them into 2 rows.
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post

Weird is right.

I don't know about the part where you ask when has a team hosted a regional that sin't even the closest one to their campus. Without going back through history I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss that possibility. However there are SEVERAL other potential hosts closer to the site and conversely several, arguably better, sites closer to U-M.

A strange collection of sites and hosts indeed.

And, yes, the "West" regional should be west of Chicago. Well almost. I say West of the Mississippi River.
                                Row 1
                                Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Working...
                                X