Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Relief to win that game. Funny how the game laid it self out, last night- we got a ton of great attempts, but no puck luck with the shots. Better pasing, and puck movement, and just a few decent shots.

As the game progressed, we just looked to get more and more tired. The poster boys for that being the Wholberg, Guptil, and Brown line- holy cow did they not play well last night or what? IIRC, they were on the ice when northern tied the game. ugh.

Heck of a goal by Trieas. And a BIG gift to the seniors.

A note about Sparks- he's really getting going, I think. Moving a lot, getting himself open- I wonder if he could draw a few paniced D on him leaving someone open.

One point will let us play a home series in 3 weeks. And 1st is Ferris's to not get swept over.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Relief to win that game. Funny how the game laid it self out, last night- we got a ton of great attempts, but no puck luck with the shots. Better pasing, and puck movement, and just a few decent shots.

As the game progressed, we just looked to get more and more tired. The poster boys for that being the Wholberg, Guptil, and Brown line- holy cow did they not play well last night or what? IIRC, they were on the ice when northern tied the game. ugh.

Heck of a goal by Trieas. And a BIG gift to the seniors.

A note about Sparks- he's really getting going, I think. Moving a lot, getting himself open- I wonder if he could draw a few paniced D on him leaving someone open.

One point will let us play a home series in 3 weeks. And 1st is Ferris's to not get swept over.
      That was a great college hockey game. UM won with their ability to make NMU pay for their mistakes. NMU tied the game at 1 and could have taken momentum to the room after 2. But they took a penalty immediately after and UM cashed in. A bad turnover by NMU in OT resulted in a great pass and a great game winning goal.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
        It's going to be a total disaster when this happens at Yost
        It's coming, only a matter of "When?" not "If?"

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
        And I think it's a major stab in the back to people who supported a godawful basketball program through the dark ages of sanctions and Amaker
        YEP! I feel the knife. I've been there since '80-'81!

You forgot (intentionally?) that "Empty suit" Brian Ellerbe.
        Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
        Row 1
        Seats 6 & 7
        Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          I am definitely a Broncos fan next weekend. A sweep by them (possible but unlikely) and a sweep by us (likely but not assured) means another regular season title banner.

Plus my grandson is a freshman there.
          Row 1
          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Awright, since no one else has mentioned it, does any one realize that the Wolverines have now won 20 games in a season for the 25th consecutive season, an NCAA record - and counting!
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

BUMP!

JIM, SCOTT - "Wherefor art thou?"

This thread drifted down to page 3!

You guys are falling asleep on the job!
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Things like "work" get in the way of important things. Oh well, not much to say. Can't complain about the results on the ice. I do like the trip down to BG, but will not be making it this year.

This seems like a classic "trap" weekend. We might (probably) need to sweep in order to hold on to 2nd, but a third place finish still means a bye in the first round and a home series in the second. Not much to differentiate between the teams below us. Reference the current standings.

What can you do?
                Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Regarding personal seat donations at Yost:

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                  It's coming, only a matter of "When?" not "If?"
                  It was already in place in 2003, at least in the good seats. I met someone who had center ice tickets one day when I went over to section 4 to watch a period one day and she said that she had to "give" the athletic department $1,000 in addition to the price of the tickets so that she could get those seats. I forget her name but she said that she was from Brighton.
                  Originally posted by alfablue
                  Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

We need one point this weekend to make sure we host a second round game. Miami, currently in 5th, is 5 points back. They would have to pass us as well as State and Western, and walla- no home game at all.

I think we'll be able to get one measly point, though.

With they way they were playing, and what I've seen reported being said by the team, they do know that the team performance wasn't exactly stellar last week. Add onto that- BGSU has been playing some really good hockey this calendar year, won a few they may have not, played hard in all.

If it weren't for the little part about earning one point to host a second round series- I'd be a lot more worried. But the team knows they still have a shot to tie Ferris, which nets them the #1 seed. They know- all they can do is take care of their own games this weekend.

Comment

My group of friends is headed down to BG for the Saturday game. Should be fun. Anyone else going?
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                        It was already in place in 2003, at least in the good seats. I met someone who had center ice tickets one day when I went over to section 4 to watch a period one day and she said that she had to "give" the athletic department $1,000 in addition to the price of the tickets so that she could get those seats. I forget her name but she said that she was from Brighton.

Sect. 4 is the corollary at the other end to Sect. 6 where my seats are. Neither I nor no one I know of near me have had to pay a "PSD". Of course, I have been there since the '94-'95 season . Perhaps newbies coming in must pay.
                        Row 1
                        Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Well? WTH happened? We haven't given up 4 goals in a game since the 5 game losing streak when we did 4 times in a row. The loss, coupled with Miami's win and possible MSU win over ND means we could end up in 5th place. We'd get the bye, but lose home ice in the second rd.
                          No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Sect. 4 is the corollary at the other end to Sect. 6 where my seats are. Neither I nor no one I know of near me have had to pay a "PSD". Of course, I have been there since the '94-'95 season . Perhaps newbies coming in must pay.
                            When I had my tickets in Section 22, I do remember reading the season ticket renewal, and finding that it mentioned that anyone wishing to move to the sideline seats needed to be a member of the Victors Club, Captain level or above.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I think that must have something to do with it, although she did add that she needed to "grease the wheels" to move from her end-zone seats IIRC.
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

But WTH happened tonight? Bowling Green? Seriously? I know everyone gets up for Michigan but seriously? Bowling Green? I'm glad it wasn't on TV although I did have to semi-follow the live chat blog...

Comment

Working...
                                X