Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    No doubt, except for maybe the Cornell fans. At least they have been to a Frozen Four (2003) in the last two decades, right?

I also think that scUM could represent the Gophers, since NMU competed against them in the W-back when they actually won playoff games. Both are essentially "weasels", right again?

Here is hoping that Cornell has a better band get-up than NMU, too. Something about horizontal stripes that makes them Yoopers look hefty(er).
    Wait, so you are saying that it's not only possible that the whole scUM and weasel thing isn't original, but it's also recycled???

Oh, man. That's really dissapointing. Too bad for them that Minny can't be the butt of their clever thinking when they head back to the WCHA... bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Crud.

*****http://pepband.bigredbands.org/images/front_slideshow/dryden.jpg******
      http://webb.nmu.edu/Departments/Musi.../PepBand.shtml

Not a fan of red or green. Sorry.

Comment

Can't say I'm a big fan of the Cub Scout colors, either. Sorry.

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I am totally going to the Cornell game. I don't care what weekend it is.

I can steal cheers and recycle insults too. I hear we're playinf eNeMa U this weekend. Hehehe..I'm so uncreative. Anyone seen my bike?
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            I am totally going to the Cornell game. I don't care what weekend it is.

I can steal cheers and recycle insults too. I hear we're playinf eNeMa U this weekend. Hehehe..I'm so uncreative. Anyone seen my bike?
            I am having so much fun in their thread and I didn't bring up bikegate. I hope tCOY have fun with it.

Oh- and LynahFan- you're a good sport.

Comment

I am having so much fun in their thread and I didn't bring up bikegate. I hope tCOY have fun with it.

Oh- and LynahFan- you're a good sport.
              Backachya. Just trying to stir up some good-natured rivalry - already really hoping that I will be able to make the game, but looking forward to it either way.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Wow, they looked very tired at times, tonight. I'm sure Red has thoughts on the re***** too. Not that we didnt take some stupid penalties.

That third goal was huge by DuBlois, but I didn't think that northern had that many threatening chances- like Miami a few weeks ago.

Didnt make progress on first with FSU and Western winning.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Wow, they looked very tired at times, tonight. I'm sure Red has thoughts on the re***** too. Not that we didnt take some stupid penalties.

That third goal was huge by DuBlois, but I didn't think that northern had that many threatening chances- like Miami a few weeks ago.

Didnt make progress on first with FSU and Western winning.
                  Every few weeks Deblois has one of those games where it looks like he should easily be a 20+ goal scorer. Maybe next year those games come with more frequency. Or maybe even in this years' play-offs.... My big hope for this year is that some of these guys that just can't seem to get of the schneid but seem like they're due (Hyman, Sparks, and Glendenning to name a few other examples, it's pretty much half the team at this point) all suddenly have their luck change in the tournament. Far-fetched maybe but if even a few other forwards get it going Michigan could be really tough to beat...

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    I'm sure Red has thoughts on the re***** too.
                    Who is Matthew Miller?

Where did HE come from?

Can anyone confirm he made it out of the parking lot alive?
                    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                    Row 1
                    Seats 6 & 7
                    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                      Who is Matthew Miller?

Where did HE come from?

That was his first time doing a Michigan game this season. It was Hall's second. He's been on the CCHA roster all season. The only other officials Michigan hasn't seen this season is Tocco (MSU grad) and Kronforst. Both did one of the exhibition games. Miller is the 15th different official Michigan has seen this season.

As far as the game, NMU played a really solid road game- physical, smothering- but couldn't generate a whole lot of offense, even with six PP chances.
                      I think it wore down the Wolverines after the first period, which is why they looked sluggish in the second (killed three penalties, too) and half of the third period.
                      Michigan capitalized on the gift first goal and made the best of their PP chances. Merrill was outstanding last night- saved several good chances, made the play to DeBlois on the breakaway and set up Moffie on the one timer. He also was the one who drew the slash knocking the stick out of his hands (basically turned to the official and put his hands up to say "THAT is a penalty, right?") against Gron to set up the 4th goal.

Moffie was strong (+2) 1G 1A and Hunwick was solid.

Not the most consistent performance, but a win is a win. Besides, Red alluded to the fact that NMU is bigger, older and stronger than our team (well, except for guys like Brown, Pateryn and maybe Guptill) so it was important for the team to use good positioning (like Merrill does) to win battles. I thought Bennett struggled last night, but for the most part, the team held their own physically- but it took a toll. It sounds like Clare got hurt late in the game, so Chiasson will be in tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                        Who is Matthew Miller?

Where did HE come from?

I have seen him do ohio state games this year and i think he is terrible. You guys got hosed on a most of them calls last night

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                          I have seen him do ohio state games this year and i think he is terrible. You guys got hosed on a most of them calls last night
                          I went home and re-watched it. The first call on Deblois was legit, checking from behind. The Guptill trip was legit, although I thought he got tripped getting up, so it could have evened up. The Bennett crosscheck was iffy- he shouldered his man as he crashed the crease. The Brown crosscheck call was borderline, but that was a reputation call. The Sparks call was baffling. He was in the crease, behind Coreau and got called for goaltender interference, when he was pushed there by a defenseman. The Glendening call was infuriating since he made a big rush to the net and got his stick lifted right into Coreau, thus the "highsticking the goalie" call.

Like I said in the game thread, the only call I saw on NMU that was a blatant miss was a crosscheck in their end. Sure, they could have called more interference and hooking/holding, but for the most part they let that stuff go and were more focused on protecting the goaltenders. After all, it is what has given the CCHA soreazz about Michigan complaining. I think it played into it.

I am happy that there wasn't any cheap stuff like boarding- and the one time I saw it (elbow thrown at Merrill by Steckel) it got called- but it was really late and came from the official furthest from the play (it happened at the Michigan blueline and the call came from the official standing in the NMU end.)

Comment

It seemed like NMU was most dangerous when Serville-Clare were out there. (I know, they are the third pairing, so it would make sense) I really wasn't too concerned when Merrill-Bennett or Pateryn-Moffie where on the ice. With that being said, wasn't Moffie then one trying to pull the puck out of the net on NMU's only goal?
                            Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
                              It seemed like NMU was most dangerous when Serville-Clare were out there. (I know, they are the third pairing, so it would make sense) I really wasn't too concerned when Merrill-Bennett or Pateryn-Moffie where on the ice. With that being said, wasn't Moffie then one trying to pull the puck out of the net on NMU's only goal?
                              No, that was Pateryn. But I agree, the third pairing was off kilter, too. At least Serville was using his size more. Clare was pinching in like Pateryn likes to do. He got caught a few times... and Bennett was just getting drilled on dump ins.

What's up with the ice, too? I saw several players (like Merrill for one) stumble more than once without being touched.

Sounds like Clare is out now and Chiasson is in, so more third pairing fun tonight.

Comment

What's up with the ice, too? I saw several players (like Merrill for one) stumble more than once without being touched.
                                OK, good, I wasn't the only one to notice this. There were guys losing an edge all night, and some truly bizarre puck movement as well. I don't know if it's the crazy fluctuations in weather we've been having here, but there was definitely something going on with the surface last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X