Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    I'm going to have to start frequenting the MSU threads to pick up some anti-Wolverine lingo.
    The one that really irks me is when they call us 'arrogant a55es'. And if we weren't better than them, I'd get even more upset.
    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
      The one that really irks me is when they call us 'arrogant a55es'. And if we weren't better than them, I'd get even more upset.
      Well, at least we won't have to worry about that line of insult in this game. I hear Cornell is almost a private school!

Comment

But how should we react if they call us 'the Harvard of the Midwest'?
        No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          (I was proud to be in the student section the weekend we stole from Cornell's student section. and we won that NCAA round!)
          I would love to hear a first-hand account about that weekend. The basic story is there, but how it actually unfolded, what it was like in the stands, the atmosphere of the games, and so on, is not present in the terse explanations currently available on the internet.
          Jesus Saves

Comment

It looks like the best case scenerio for us going into playoffs is a Michigan sweep of Northern. What else can I say but Go Blue! lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
              I would love to hear a first-hand account about that weekend. The basic story is there, but how it actually unfolded, what it was like in the stands, the atmosphere of the games, and so on, is not present in the terse explanations currently available on the internet.
              Couple of lead in items- first and foremost- it was my first year at Michigan, but I've been an avid hockey fan and player- as much as one could be in Idaho. Second- this was Michigan's first trip to the tournemant in a LOOONG time. I understand they were close the year before, but it was a heck of a season. Third- with the more lively crowd that season, chants were getting to be a good thing. It was also the year that a few fans started the c-ya chant after the Duke BB game on Dec 8, 1990. So the whole fan base was paying a lot more attention.

On the other hand, it still wasn't a full arena. I was on the very edge of the student section, right over the blue line When Sparty came to town, their fans were RIGHT next to me. Nice people, BTW. So it wasn't totally like it is now.

And in that day, the tournament first two rounds were on campus, best 2 of 3. We did good enough to host Cornell in the first round.

Cornell fans seem to have been at it for some time, as they brought a HUGE section of people, filling up the upper part of the north end, and a lot of them students. And they made a LOT of noise all weekend. The "your mom called- you suck", the "your not a vacuum, your a black hole, etc" cheers. Lots of stuff that we do now in the middle of the game. We absorbed it all. They were very cool, and just great supporters of Cornell Hockey, and I personally have no problem copying that, noting how much fun they had.

I do think that our fans did a good job of matching them, it didn't seem like some kind of bad blood kind of weekend between the fans at all. Fun as heck.

Tense weekend, though- (I had to look up the scores)- Cornell won Friday's game in OT 5-4, but we won Saturday 6-4 and Sunday 9-3 to head to Boston the following week (where they crushed us in two).

That '90-'91 season was a turning point in many ways- what happened on the ice AND what happened in the stands. Good memories. Partially thanks do Duke for C-ya, and much thanks to Cornell, Michgan fans added onto the Sieve chant, added on to all of the chants, and made some new ones. I *think* we did "goalie-sive" repeated, for sure did the "goalie, goalie, goalie- sieve, sieve" for really fun games, and "ugly goalie/"handsome goalie".

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Couple of lead in items- first and foremost- it was my first year at Michigan, but I've been an avid hockey fan and player- as much as one could be in Idaho. Second- this was Michigan's first trip to the tournemant in a LOOONG time. I understand they were close the year before, but it was a heck of a season. Third- with the more lively crowd that season, chants were getting to be a good thing. It was also the year that a few fans started the c-ya chant after the Duke BB game on Dec 8, 1990. So the whole fan base was paying a lot more attention.

On the other hand, it still wasn't a full arena. I was on the very edge of the student section, right over the blue line When Sparty came to town, their fans were RIGHT next to me. Nice people, BTW. So it wasn't totally like it is now.

And in that day, the tournament first two rounds were on campus, best 2 of 3. We did good enough to host Cornell in the first round.

Cornell fans seem to have been at it for some time, as they brought a HUGE section of people, filling up the upper part of the north end, and a lot of them students. And they made a LOT of noise all weekend. The "your mom called- you suck", the "your not a vacuum, your a black hole, etc" cheers. Lots of stuff that we do now in the middle of the game. We absorbed it all. They were very cool, and just great supporters of Cornell Hockey, and I personally have no problem copying that, noting how much fun they had.

I do think that our fans did a good job of matching them, it didn't seem like some kind of bad blood kind of weekend between the fans at all. Fun as heck.

Tense weekend, though- (I had to look up the scores)- Cornell won Friday's game in OT 5-4, but we won Saturday 6-4 and Sunday 9-3 to head to Boston the following week (where they crushed us in two).

That '90-'91 season was a turning point in many ways- what happened on the ice AND what happened in the stands. Good memories. Partially thanks do Duke for C-ya, and much thanks to Cornell, Michgan fans added onto the Sieve chant, added on to all of the chants, and made some new ones. I *think* we did "goalie-sive" repeated, for sure did the "goalie, goalie, goalie- sieve, sieve" for really fun games, and "ugly goalie/"handsome goalie".
                I wasn't there, but the Cornell fans who were always have fond memories of the series, despite the outcome. In the first game, the scoring was back and forth, with Kent Manderville tying the game with :02 seconds left (box).

And I don't mind at all that Michigan "stole" our cheers. Cornell fans have invaded many arenas over the years, and Michigan fans have so far really been the only ones who've fully embraced the all-out full-game participation exhibited by Cornell fans (and probably even surpassed Cornell fans in some regards). So full props and respect to the Michigan fan base for that!
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Went to set the DVR for tonights game and saw that tBTN is airing the 98 NC game vs BC prior to tonights NMU game. I wish they would air the 96 game vs CC. Anyways, thought I'd leave a reminder to anyone that might care.

Comment

The "large flag" phenomena (Sweden, Texas etc.) is an awesome addition that the CoY should be credited for as well as the singing (Deep in the heat of Texas..). It's clean, too!

One note: NMU has three Texas kids on their roster, too!

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                      The "large flag" phenomena (Sweden, Texas etc.) is an awesome addition that the CoY should be credited for as well as the singing (Deep in the heat of Texas..). It's clean, too!

One note: NMU has three Texas kids on their roster, too!
                      I thought that the "tarkki is a sive" in Finish was really clever, too. Helps that Michigan has a lot of Finns.

Comment

While we're taking trips down memory lane...here is a remarkable moment in scUM history as well...enjoy! Go Cats Go!!!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5558,3887948

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                          While we're taking trips down memory lane...here is a remarkable moment in scUM history as well...enjoy! Go Cats Go!!!

Is the Cornell guy still checking out this thread? Because this is a great example of the most clever Michigan put-down of all! See what this guy did? He put a "sc" before the UM. It's implying that the people that go to the UM, which is the University of Michigan, are "scum." Amazing stuff, you rarely get an opportunity to see that kind of intellect up close like this in a relatively normal environment (usually you have to venture into more dangerous territory like mlive or the Red Cedar Message Board.) Now take note that this is actually the advanced version...he capitalized the "UM" so that everybody knows its the University of Michigan that's he's talking about. That's how you can tell he at least attended a school in Michigan, a person from Ohio could never get that complex.

The best part about this insult is that it was 100% created and 100% deployed by state school graduates with massive inferiority complexes....so perfect for Cornell fans too!

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post

1994- three years after NMU's last conference championship, conference tourney championship and national championship. What is more irrelevant... this incident, or NMU's hockey program? I bet the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
                              Is the Cornell guy still checking out this thread? Because this is a great example of the most clever Michigan put-down of all! See what this guy did? He put a "sc" before the UM. It's implying that the people that go to the UM, which is the University of Michigan, are "scum." Amazing stuff, you rarely get an opportunity to see that kind of intellect up close like this in a relatively normal environment (usually you have to venture into more dangerous territory like mlive or the Red Cedar Message Board.) Now take note that this is actually the advanced version...he capitalized the "UM" so that everybody knows its the University of Michigan that's he's talking about. That's how you can tell he at least attended a school in Michigan, a person from Ohio could never get that complex.

The best part about this insult is that it was 100% created and 100% deployed by state school graduates with massive inferiority complexes....so perfect for Cornell fans too!
                              No doubt, except for maybe the Cornell fans. At least they have been to a Frozen Four (2003) in the last two decades, right?

I also think that scUM could represent the Gophers, since NMU competed against them in the W-back when they actually won playoff games. Both are essentially "weasels", right again?

Here is hoping that Cornell has a better band get-up than NMU, too. Something about horizontal stripes that makes them Yoopers look hefty(er).

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                Here is hoping that Cornell has a better band get-up than NMU, too. Something about horizontal stripes that makes them Yoopers look hefty(er).
                                Crud.

*****http://pepband.bigredbands.org/images/front_slideshow/dryden.jpg******
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X