Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Don't look now but we are all the way up to #2 in the PWR!

Who 'da thunk THAT on Dec. 1????
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7
    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post

The key is the fact that the review has access to exactly one camera angle, directly above the net. From that angle, inconclusive. But from every other conceivable vantage point, yeah, that puck is in the net.
      The replay official has access to every camera angle. Above the net, TV and in house. From every angle = inconclusive.

Plus, the ref was behind the net, staring at the puck.
      Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
        Figure out a way to get the rest of stadium not sitting on their hands and not checking their smart phones the entire game and get back to us.

*****http://i1204.***********.com/albums/bb409/kitsunewill/HatersGonnaHate.gif******
        You mean like half the student section?

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
          The replay official has access to every camera angle. Above the net, TV and in house. From every angle = inconclusive.

I'd be interested in seeing the rulebook on this, but it's my understanding that video replay in the CCHA is above-net-camera only.

All I'm saying is that it sure as hell looked like a clear goal to me, both in real time and on the single replay they showed on the scoreboard. Blasi had a point to complain, even if he ended up looking like a petulant child in doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
            I'd be interested in seeing the rulebook on this, but it's my understanding that video replay in the CCHA is above-net-camera only.
            Then look it up.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-41...blication.aspx

I am absolutely sure that Brian Aaron looked at multiple angles of the play.
            Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Then look it up.

The rulebook outlines video replay procedures for NCAA tournament events (hence the little script for the announcer). Conference play is governed by conference rules for replay. It's my understanding the CCHA restricts replay to the single camera above the net to level the playing field across the conference. If you say it's otherwise, I'm inclined to believe you, but it still sure as hell looked like a goal to me. And most of the folks sitting around me, who all had as good of an angle on the play as one can have in that arena.

Comment

Then look it up.

I confirmed this by listening in with Piotrowski after the game, who was in a rather animated conversation with Dave Brandon. No conclusive evidence that the entire puck crossed the line, from multiple angles. From my section 11 view, I also thought it was a goal, real time. Sergott was actually late getting behind the net to see it before Moffie drew it forward away from the line. You can clearly see this on the replay we saw on the Branda-thon. That is what put Blasi over the moon.

Short of choking in the NCAA tourney against BU, this had to be one of his worst moments. (IIRC, there is youtube of him melting down and getting tossed from a game and giving the salute as he leaves the ice. He was close.)

Weber was smarting after Brown undressed him for that highlight reel goal. BUT, if Gups doesn't tap at Knapp's pads, the whole incident doesn't start. Miami was looking for a reason and got one. Now, they get to sit Weber against UAH while we lose Brown against MSU up there. It was a real dumb move, even if Brown did have to jump in there.
                Last edited by streaker; 02-05-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Really?!? Very, very interesting. I, too, thought 1) it was a goal- Mrs Alfa and I are closer to the net than streaker is- she thought it didn't, I thought it did, and 2) that they were only allowed the above shot. That, and I totally forgot that the ref was *right there* looking closer than ANY camera angle would have (although, considering the glasses they had on all night, it wouldn't be all that stunning that they could have missed it).

One follow up question- when does whining to review become either delay of game or unsportsman like? I know the coach can earn a penalty for being, well, you know...

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    Weber was smarting after Brown undressed him for that highlight reel goal. BUT, if Gups doesn't tap at Knapp's pads, the whole incident doesn't start. Miami was looking for a reason and got one. Now, they get to sit Weber against UAH while we lose Brown against MSU up there. It was a real dumb move, even if Brown did have to jump in there.
                    Weber's way overrated, and a thug. Great to see him being so embarased that he had to react by fighting. What Gups did was not only understandable, but Miami did it ALL WEEKEND. Nice to see Weber show that his team are a bunch of hacks in his eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                      That's quite a statement. Admittedly I haven't seen as many games in the recent years as you, but I can't argue with you. That Wilkins travesty from the UM-OSU CCHA semifinal in '02 looks tame by comparison. Anyone ever recall Red being so visibly upset about officiating before?
                      And note- I don't base that purely on the idiotic calls that were made against us.

Unless anyone can tell me otherwise- since NOBODY in Yost was up in arms- the "hit to the head" against Miami was a joke call. Followed up by the same joke call against Pateryn. Incredibly dumb.

And while we got called for some incredibly weak boarding calls in the first period- we could have gotten some very easily later in the game.

One non penalty I thought was funny- Serville fell just inside the blue line, and managed to keep the puck in the zone with his hands, which we got in the corner. Should have been a pretty easy hand pass- duh.

And can they get SOME kind of consistency in the icing rule. We got the puck first a few times only to have it called icing. What IS the rule?

Basically, the game got out of hand partially due to rickii's team prep, but more due to incompetent reffing.

Comment

We were left wondering just what does constitute icing anymore, as well.

And the ref was Brian Hill, not Brian Aaron. My bad.

Comment

As to the icing, late in the game Michigan was called for icing. After watching a replay the Michigan player definitely passed the face off dot before the Miami player, and reached the puck first. Here's the rule;
                          g. Judgement of first player to touch puck. For the purpose of interpretation
                          of this rule, icing is completed the instant the puck crosses the goal line,
                          unless an attacking player, who is onside at the blue line and with no
                          opponent between that player and the goal line and is clearly in position
                          to be the first player to touch the puck. Icing shall not be called in
                          this situation. This decision by the official shall be made no later than
                          the first player reaching the end zone face-off dots. If the puck enters
                          the goal in this situation icing shall not be called and a goal shall be
                          awarded.
                          The key word here is 'clearly'. I would just prefer they go back to the old icing. Now the Michigan player busts a nut getting down there to negate the icing and doesn't get it, and can't change.

As to the no goal. They showed the ref reviewing the call and he did look at views other than the overhead. One camera angle, probably from center ice, the tv guys said it was over and they saw white between the puck and goal line. From the overhead though, you could see there was a shadow from the crossbar about 3 inches in front of the goal line. The 'white' they saw was between this and the puck. The puck did reach the goal line and I would concede that most of the puck WAS over, but not all the way.
                          No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            I confirmed this by listening in with Piotrowski after the game, who was in a rather animated conversation with Dave Brandon.
                            A pure aside, but man, is Dave Brandon everywhere. And in an overbearing, hover-parent kind of way.

Comment

EXACTLY

That is what I told the guy sitting next to me while they were looking at the review. Sergott was right there, looking at the play, and did not hesitate waving it off.
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                Unless anyone can tell me otherwise- since NOBODY in Yost was up in arms- the "hit to the head" against Miami was a joke call. Followed up by the same joke call against Pateryn.
                                When the call for the "Hit" on Pateryn was made I asked the guy next to me if he thought it was a "Make up" call. He said it was the same call as earlier. I replied that was "My exactly point".
                                Row 1
                                Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Working...
                                X