Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Well- it depends on which Michigan team comes to play their final eight games. Keep in mind that November hole they dug was pretty deep. Including Alaska they are 8-2-2 and yet that only has gotten them back into the thick of the race. It just seems that those losses magnified 2x what the current wins do.

This is probably the most competitive CCHA I have ever seen, and I go back a long time. I mean, even in Michigan's high flying mid 90's the quality of the league night in and night out wasn't this good- LSSU, Miami, MSU and WMU were all good also- but the rest of the league stunk. So, with this kind of schedule strength Michigan just has to position themselves as best they can and take care of their own business. You can't do much about what everyone else is doing.

If I was a betting person I wouldn't count Michigan out of a top four finish. But, the Miami series in two weeks will be the biggest series of the year. They are playing out of their minds and yet are still fighting for a NCAA berth. We owe them big time and they have owned us. It will be a titanic series.

I also think that with their sweep of WMU they are in a terrific position -they have three more road games left out of ten games- so this makes the Michigan series even bigger. They come in and manhandle us again, they will win the league.

Right now I would say the league title is between WMU and Miami with ND and Michigan in the mix. OSU is fading fast. LSSU, MSU, NMU and Ferris will impact it.

None of the contenders have an easy schedule the rest of the way.
    IMO Michigan can only afford to lose 1, maybe 2 games the rest of the way. They must sweep Miami at home, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Michigan can survive by splitting with sparty, and maybe splitting with Northern. And thank God we have Bowling Green to round out the year but we must sweep them (and on the road, not an easy task). Even with all of that happening we need some help, but we'll see.

They have seem to come together though, but the bye-week hopefully won't disrupt the flow...
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Interesting weekend. I thought we played pretty well on Friday- got a lot of decent looks on the goal, but they had cold sticks and ND had a hot goalie. As for the ND goals- I'd only be really bummed about the second- where a bad rebound was added to poor coverage to get a pretty easy goal. Hunwick did his job keeping the game in hand, though.

And we got a power play goal!

Followed by the 2 PP goals on Saturday! Stunning!

Here's what's concerning me, though- the time spent in our defensive zone vs on offense. We had a tough time breaking into the ND zone and staying there any decent amount of time. Sure, our D zone coverage is much improved. But that still is a lot of pressure and time on them. And a lot of pressure on Hunwick. Can we sustain that? We managed to last year, until the last game....

They are getting a lot better, though. Not sure if this time off will be good or bad. Rest or rust?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Interesting weekend. I thought we played pretty well on Friday- got a lot of decent looks on the goal, but they had cold sticks and ND had a hot goalie. As for the ND goals- I'd only be really bummed about the second- where a bad rebound was added to poor coverage to get a pretty easy goal. Hunwick did his job keeping the game in hand, though.

And we got a power play goal!

Followed by the 2 PP goals on Saturday! Stunning!

Here's what's concerning me, though- the time spent in our defensive zone vs on offense. We had a tough time breaking into the ND zone and staying there any decent amount of time. Sure, our D zone coverage is much improved. But that still is a lot of pressure and time on them. And a lot of pressure on Hunwick. Can we sustain that? We managed to last year, until the last game....

They are getting a lot better, though. Not sure if this time off will be good or bad. Rest or rust?
        One of the best comments that Dave Starman made Saturday night referred to the difference in how Michigan forechecks/kills penalties from last year (w/Scooter, Rust, Hagelin etc.) versus this season. Not the same experience, speed or talent level (yet). I think that has much to do with creating the type of sustained puck possession pressure they use to exert in the offensive zone. The only line that can do that effectively is the top line and on occasion the PDG-Glendening-Treais combo. A turnover and a great keep in by PDG helped set up the Treais PPG .

We have trouble in our zone when our defense do not recognize the opponent's pressure- and ND was extremely effective in sending in two men deep. It's their bread and butter on creating chances. They rarely create by moving the puck down the ice on their opponents. It's their transition game that helps them. Our defense chooses to try to cycle in our own zone (like the Wings do) and it sometimes bites them instead of chipping it out. Red would prefer puck possession to dumps, so it depends on the team they are playing.

As far as rest or rust.. I think red played his hand when he said it will be good to regroup. These past six games have been physically taking a toll. The more time they have to work on some things in practice for Miami, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
          IMO Michigan can only afford to lose 1, maybe 2 games the rest of the way. They must sweep Miami at home, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Michigan can survive by splitting with sparty, and maybe splitting with Northern. And thank God we have Bowling Green to round out the year but we must sweep them (and on the road, not an easy task). Even with all of that happening we need some help, but we'll see.

They have seem to come together though, but the bye-week hopefully won't disrupt the flow...
          I said that Michigan had to finish winning 10 of their 14 conference games to make the NCAA playoffs. They are 4-1-1, much better than I figured they would be right now. A Miami, NMU and MSU split puts them at 7-4-1, probably not good enough to win the league, but good enough to take a top four spot and stay in the top 10 in the PWR. That would leave the BG series. Don't discount the Falcons- they may have a bad record but they play everyone tough, especially Michigan down there. If Michigan sweeps that series to go to 9-4-1, I think they'll be in good shape. I tend to think that Michigan can do better at Yost, though- meaning that they don't split with Miami or NMU. That would really take a ton of pressure off down the stretch. Hard to imagine a season where Michigan loses 7-8 games on home ice.

Comment

Jim!
            Scott!
            C'mon, GET WITH IT!
            You aren't doing your job.
            You let this thread get down to page 3!
            Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7
            Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Joe, that just proves how balanced our fan base is. Other fan bases jump for joy when they, as we did, briefly edge into a #1 seed position. At Michigan #1 seeds are our birthright, even in potentially streak-breaking years like this one. Personally, I get excited about NCAA championship banners.

And the streak. I really want to continue the streak.
              Jesus Saves

Comment

Laying low, Joe... examining the composite schedule and prepping for what will no doubt be a difficult last eight games. Also awaiting word on the extent of David Wohlberg's injured arm that occurred in practice this week. It could potentially be serious- been in a sling all week.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                  Joe, that just proves how balanced our fan base is.
                  I was just needling Jim and Scott. They challenged each other near the start of the season to keep this thread on the first two pages.

Other fan bases jump for joy when they, as we did, briefly edge into a #1 seed position.
                  #1 seeds mean NOTHING. Recall the '96/'97 season when our guys spent the entire season as #1 only to lose in the semifinals in Milwaukee? The next year was much better when we came out of nowhere.

I really want to continue the streak.
                  YES!
                  THE STREAK MUST BE KEPT ALIVE!
                  I was in mourning around Thanksgiving when it looked like it was over.
                  Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                  Row 1
                  Seats 6 & 7
                  Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Crazy weekend and we didnt even play.

You'd think someone would have made a big ccha statement, but that didn't happen and while we sit in 7th, anything can happen.

For us, the d is really starting to do well, and if the shooters can get some touch.

I still worry we will just add to the ccha mess, though

Comment

Really looking forward to this weekend. How's Michigan looking on the injury front? Anyone out?
                      Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                        I was just needling Jim and Scott. They challenged each other near the start of the season to keep this thread on the first two pages.
                        Who do they think they are?? Michigan Tech fans???
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          Who do they think they are?? Michigan Tech fans???
                          I have nothing against Twitch... but.. uh, no.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post

Man, go away on for a while when there is no hockey and people start taking shot...
                            Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Update on Wohlberg: skating by himself, no contact drills. May be with team next practice. Was in stands today and his status is probable. No sling.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                Hard to imagine a season where Michigan loses 7-8 games on home ice.
                                Earlier this year that seemed like an unfortunate probability...
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X