Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Congrats on your weekend your team played very well over the 2 games. Hope to get another crack at you guys in detroit!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
      Why does it always seem like Michigan is playing it's best hockey when they play us? Maybe it's just all those God-awful (from my viewpoint anyway) 10-1 games...

Please tell me Hunwick is not playing as well as it appears, or that Merrill's return has created a very divided lockerroom, something to hang my hopes on? We've got issues. Goalie troubles, our "best" goal scorer has only managed to find the back of the net in 1 of his last 14 games, and we are really beginning to resemble the middle of the pack CCHA team that we are right now. Games in hand on most of the rest of you notwithstanding.

Congrats on the two thorough wins this weekend.
      Heh, it could be worse, IHF. In 1964 Michigan beat Ohio in Columbus 21-0. I think even the shovel boys scored in that one.

Caustic- good to hear from you. Main differences: Merrill and his quiet calm demeanor installing confidence. Hunwick was slumping in November, too- not just the guys in front of him. He is back to being dominant. Also- The genius on the part of the Red Baron by finding the Guptill-Wohlberg-Brown line. Eleven points this weekend, guys. He didn't form that line until the trip to Alaska I believe.

Can't figure out the problem with the PP. They did try to use new combinations, but stuck to the rotation defense. At least Treais scored Friday from the result of PP pressure, although the penalty expired. I just think that they need to get more shots through and stop trying to make the extra passes. I get the idea of forcing the opponent netminder side to side, but the collapsing d-men are taking away the cross ice feed in the crease. We've been defended really aggressively and don't seem to win many individual battles, either.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
        Congrats on your weekend your team played very well over the 2 games. Hope to get another crack at you guys in detroit!
        Thanks- even for the year now. A rubber game in the CCHA championship wouldn't be hard to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
          And the moment I type that I recall that we wore blue against red-clad Wisconsin two years ago, though they wore red pants. My guess? The teams decided Maize contrasted better. The look does add to the non-home feel of the game for OSU, though; lots of Michigan fans present, Michigan clearly more comfortable in the outdoor environment, wearing home unis... I can't believe we got away with this.
          Thought provoking post, as always. Good to have you back on the board.

The Frozen Diamond Classic was a great event to be part of, regardless of the final score. But you're saying that we "overpaid" for the chance to play outdoors. Several reactions:

1. I can honestly that this never occurred to me until reading your posts. It's a good, challenging thought. But even with 20-20 hindsight I don't feel cheated.

2. As for the jersey colors, I think you nailed it in your follow-up post when you said it was a good looking game. My take is that the powers-that-be settled on an arrangement that was favorable for all concerned. I highly doubt that the score would have been any different had Michigan been wearing either Blue or White. It was just a one-time, photogenic thing to do.

3. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? No question that Michigan had a greater comfort level on the big stage, and that this had an impact on the outcome. But how is a rising program going to develop that same comfort level if they refuse to play in such games?

4. Given the current CCHA standings, giving up a home game does appear to be a negative. But remember that this event wasn't scheduled during the last couple of weeks. Back when the relevant decisions were made, the potential cost probably didn't seem as high. Put another way, only the very most optimistic observers would have predicted the results enjoyed by the Buckeyes during the first half of the season. Since we actually are in the middle of a chase for the regular season title, maybe the timing was poor. But again, who woulda thunk? For my part, the focus should be on the program's earlier than expected progress, not the arguably unfortunate timing of one off-campus game.

5. I have no inside knowledge on this, but I was under the impression that Progressive Field Snow Days was sponsored by the Cleveland Indians. In other words, Ohio State wasn't issuing invitations, it accepted an invitation. As such, the event wasn't a Buckeye creation as much as it was an Indians creation. Note that the outdoor rink has been up and running for a while, and hosted other games prior to the Ohio State/Michigan match-up. If all of that's accurate, it puts your comments in a slightly different light.

6. Should Ohio State be invited to host another game at Progressive Field, I'd allow that I'd prefer a different opponent next time. Michigan State? Notre Dame? Perhaps Penn State, a couple of years down the line? Any of the above would be appealing. But be all that as it may, it was appropriate to have the Wolverines be a part of Cleveland's first outdoor game.

My two cents, FWIW.

Comment

PBG, I'd like to see a Michigan-Ohio State outdoor game someday in the horseshoe. I was talking to some of the powers that be on this subject at last Friday's hockey game and here were the points made. First of all our program has to grow and get a respectable fan base as they do not want the Michigan fans outnumbering us in our own venue (no offence Michigan), next we have the estimated cost of one million dollars to do this which is why OSU was so eager to do the Cleveland game with the Indians picking up the tab. The better our program gets the better the chances of a TV contract with sponsorship to cover the costs. So it's possible but down the road a ways yet.
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              6. Should Ohio State be invited to host another game at Progressive Field, I'd allow that I'd prefer a different opponent next time. Michigan State? Notre Dame? Perhaps Penn State, a couple of years down the line? Any of the above would be appealing. But be all that as it may, it was appropriate to have the Wolverines be a part of Cleveland's first outdoor game.

My two cents, FWIW.
              I know this isn't a buckeye thread, but you posted it here. IMHO, yes. Not every year, though. This isn't a gimmick to score the most fans ever at a hockey game, it's a gimmick to expose more of the state of Ohio to hockey. Assuming it can be pulled off as well as yesterday, seems like it should be done.

Could it be Bowling Green or Miami, too? BG, for sure. Miami is tough since it's the other of the state (like having Lake State host a game at the Joe- worked, sort of, and mostly due to the opponent being UM or MSU. Heck, Western v. Bowling Green is a good MAC game.

To the game, OSU played really well- got a lot of shots, but once Hunwick is hot, and the D is even partially supporting him- it's not a shock to see one goal in 2 games. Better yet, a lack of huge PK time. Things are coming together here in AA, but I think things will be fine in Columbus in a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                I know this isn't a buckeye thread, but you posted it here. IMHO, yes. Not every year, though. This isn't a gimmick to score the most fans ever at a hockey game, it's a gimmick to expose more of the state of Ohio to hockey. Assuming it can be pulled off as well as yesterday, seems like it should be done.

Could it be Bowling Green or Miami, too? BG, for sure. Miami is tough since it's the other of the state (like having Lake State host a game at the Joe- worked, sort of, and mostly due to the opponent being UM or MSU. Heck, Western v. Bowling Green is a good MAC game.
                Good thoughts, but the "Future Outdoor Games Not Involving the Wolverines" topic really needs to move over to the Buckeye thread. Obviously you're more than welcome to join in over there.

One thing I should add to my previous post. I'd love to see another Buckeye/Wolverine Outdoor Game someday, and didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Let's go with a different match-up next time, but there's no reason Sunday's game needs to be one and done.

To the game, OSU played really well- got a lot of shots, but once Hunwick is hot, and the D is even partially supporting him- it's not a shock to see one goal in 2 games. Better yet, a lack of huge PK time. Things are coming together here in AA, but I think things will be fine in Columbus in a month or so.
                Partially agree. The Michigan team we saw this weekend is the best competition we've faced all year. I can't agree that Ohio State played well, but I attribute that to the Wolverines knocking the Buckeyes off their game.

I'm kind of puzzled by the "in a month or so" comment. Taking the next month off simply isn't option. But maybe I'm not catching your meaning.

In any event, I'll join klbaum and streaker in hoping for a rubber match at Joe Louis...

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                  In any event, I'll join klbaum and streaker in hoping for a rubber match at Joe Louis...
                  Bought my tickets back in the fall when they first went on sale!

Comment

Well.. on to the Notre Domers.

Haven't done my homework on them yet, but they seem to be a streaky team. Can beat BU and BC, but get swept by WMU (after they got swept by UMD). Hard to figure out what team to expect. (Not that WMU is chopped liver. I suspect that we have a candidate for CCHA COTY there again.)

First time at the Compton for the boys. I am hoping for at least four more points to stay in the upper reaches of the PWR and the CCHA race.

Comment

No Riley Sheahan for the Irish on Friday. 1 Game suspension for an illegal hit. Now all we have to do is stop Lee and Tynan, right?

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        No Riley Sheahan for the Irish on Friday. 1 Game suspension for an illegal hit. Now all we have to do is stop Lee and Tynan, right?
                        Speaking strictly in the here and now, I'd rather be missing Lee than Sheahan. Sheahan is better defensively and is scoring at a more consistent pace. Speaking as someone who likes to defend his reputation around here as one who doesn't complain about the officiating in Notre Dame losses, the call on Sheahan was pretty bad. It would have been nice if the CCHA would have at least acknowledged the rather egregious mistakes that were made in the game while doling out that suspension, but alas that wasn't to be.

I'm guessing stopping Lee and Tynan might be a little bit harder for at least Friday. Jackson has had them split up for a while now, and I wonder if he won't put them back together in the absence of Sheahan.

Comment

Tough loss last night, but as Red said it appeared that the team was sluggish in the first period, took too many penalties and allowed the Irish's physicality get under their skin. Tough to come back against this team when their goaltender stands on his head. Also thought the officiating was standard CCHA fare. Lynch should have had a penalty shot called instead of a minor penalty... but between our PP and our ability to convert 1x1 shootouts, nothing is certain.

At least our top line held up against the physical play. Guptill deflects a Pateryn shot for a PPG to get them close, but it wasn't to be.

Comment

Gutty win and finally the PP comes through. Hunwick and Guptill definitely stars.

Comment

We finally get up into the Top 4 in the league and now we have a bye-week to deal with. Well, back down to 6 or 7. And imagine if Miami had not crapped the bed in the first 1/2 of the season! Wow, it's like they woke up just before sweeping us. That series in two weeks, which never was a cake-walk, looks very daunting now.

With our luck we'll end up in 5th place, get the first round bye but have to go on the road to #4 (and it'd be even more awesome luck if that 4th place team ended up being Western). I have a bad feeling that we'll be getting some bad karma for Hagelin's heroics last year....
                              Last edited by UMICH; 01-22-2012, 03:41 AM.
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                                We finally get up into the Top 4 in the league and now we have a bye-week to deal with. Well, back down to 6 or 7. And imagine if Miami had not crapped the bed in the first 1/2 of the season! Wow, it's like they woke up just before sweeping us. That series in two weeks, which never was a cake-walk, looks very daunting now.

With our luck we'll end up in 5th place, get the first round bye but have to go on the road to #4 (and it'd be even more awesome luck if that 4th place team ended up being Western). I have a bad feeling that we'll be getting some bad karma for Hagelin's heroics last year....
                                Well- it depends on which Michigan team comes to play their final eight games. Keep in mind that November hole they dug was pretty deep. Including Alaska they are 8-2-2 and yet that only has gotten them back into the thick of the race. It just seems that those losses magnified 2x what the current wins do.

This is probably the most competitive CCHA I have ever seen, and I go back a long time. I mean, even in Michigan's high flying mid 90's the quality of the league night in and night out wasn't this good- LSSU, Miami, MSU and WMU were all good also- but the rest of the league stunk. So, with this kind of schedule strength Michigan just has to position themselves as best they can and take care of their own business. You can't do much about what everyone else is doing.

If I was a betting person I wouldn't count Michigan out of a top four finish. But, the Miami series in two weeks will be the biggest series of the year. They are playing out of their minds and yet are still fighting for a NCAA berth. We owe them big time and they have owned us. It will be a titanic series.

I also think that with their sweep of WMU they are in a terrific position -they have three more road games left out of ten games- so this makes the Michigan series even bigger. They come in and manhandle us again, they will win the league.

Right now I would say the league title is between WMU and Miami with ND and Michigan in the mix. OSU is fading fast. LSSU, MSU, NMU and Ferris will impact it.

None of the contenders have an easy schedule the rest of the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X