Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Nice of OSU to trade home-ice advantage for a confusing environment where Michigan has, by far, the higher level of experience. What was the point of that again? Exciting Cleveland's burgeoning hockey fanbase?

So I checked the pairwise when I got home, and... dude. How nice, for once, to have the conference with serious RPI advantages. The streak has a good chance to continue after all. I hope the team can keep up the pace. People who have seen the team actually on ice more than I: What's the key in the change in results? HOBART!!! style stats-watching and the occasional televised game suggests team defense has noticeably improved, is this accurate?

I can't wait for Michigan to get regular matches in Minneapolis again. TV and UMD games just aren't the same.
    Jesus Saves

Comment

Merrill back makes a big difference. It feels to me like an unusually high percentage of the goals against have been the result of not being able to clear the defensive zone against a forecheck and #24 makes a big difference both for his ability to do so and his ice time leaving the rest of the "D" with fresher legs to do better when they're out there.

It's also been a bit of luck. Lots of close games breaking against the Wolverines in November have been breaking for Michigan since.
      Hail! Hail! to Michigan, the champions of the CCHA (2010-11 regular season)!

Comment

Whatever it is, it isn't the PP. 3 for 30 since the loss in Alaska. 10% won't usually cut it. But they have been getting enough goals and playing good D. The tie to LSSU it seemed they were focusing too much on D. Janecyk was in net and it appeared to me that they were over compensating.

Tonight they looked a lot faster than tOSU. Maybe the ice/snow accentuated their speed. I didn't see this disparity indoors.

They still have a ways to go before I put them in top 10. They need to show me they can pass the puck to their teammates as well as they pass to the opposition. Tonight they took a big step forward in that regard.
        No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The big thing I see is mostly more confidence playing the puck in our zone. So much less panic mode, and they are making much better passes. Jon has a lot to do with it, but it started in December. Merrill adds a sense of calmness.

IMHO next should be the poor PK which is 10th in the ccha then the PP. we can win wo the PP, much harder when th PK puts the team behind the eight ball.

They are really coming around.

BTW, what's up with the jersies today? OSU in dark, us in yellow? I thought we were the visitors.

Comment

We should be ranked in top 5 and what's great is we have tremendous depth and we are young.

Two big thumbs up for the boys.

Will be a real showdown next weekend in Notre Dame. Huge opportunity to soar again in the standings.

Comment

OSU was wearing special jerseys for the game, which naturally came in red. Thus, Michigan would wear a light jersey, and Maize is the obvious choice. Good looking game.

Perhaps a tie while focusing on protecting Janecyk might be a blessing in disguise? If I recall correctly, Michigan's rally around Hunwick following Hogan's injury two years ago was not only a turning point in that season, but set the stage for the defensive philosophy that nearly won #10 last year as well. This year's defensive lapses have been all-the-more confusing to me for that reason, even if some of our best two-way forwards are playing in the NHL.
              Jesus Saves

Comment

And the moment I type that I recall that we wore blue against red-clad Wisconsin two years ago, though they wore red pants. My guess? The teams decided Maize contrasted better. The look does add to the non-home feel of the game for OSU, though; lots of Michigan fans present, Michigan clearly more comfortable in the outdoor environment, wearing home unis... I can't believe we got away with this.
                Jesus Saves

Comment

Both teams had to agree to the colors. So if OSU had to have red, that is a very interesting choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    Value City's (I HATE that name, it's so tacky) official capacity for hockey is 17,500 which was a sell-out it's inagural season against who else but Michigan. Last nights crowd was around 10,000 and was twice as large as the biggest crowd we had so far this season which was against Miami. There was a decent turnout of Michigan fans last night but the OSU fans were very much the majority.
                    It's interesting that Michigan holds the outdoor college hockey attendance record for a regualr season game against the Spartans last year and Ohio State holds the indoor regular season record against Michigan in 1999.
                    I can see it now - Take the portable sheet, install it in Ford Field, Michigan vs. Sparty - VOILA! A new indoor record!
                    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                    Row 1
                    Seats 6 & 7
                    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                      Well we're #5 in the PWR right now. Doubt will be that high in the polls but all that matters is the PWR.
                      #5 in RPI as well
                      #6 in KRACH - which incidentally is the rating system I find to be closest to reality
                      Row 1
                      Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        The big thing I see is mostly more confidence playing the puck in our zone. So much less panic mode, and they are making much better passes. Jon has a lot to do with it, but it started in December. Merrill adds a sense of calmness.

IMHO next should be the poor PK which is 10th in the ccha then the PP. we can win wo the PP, much harder when th PK puts the team behind the eight ball.

They are really coming around.

BTW, what's up with the jersies today? OSU in dark, us in yellow? I thought we were the visitors.
                        I don't recall if it was Hunt or Trainor during yesterday's game when osu went on the PP he said M was perfect on the PK over the previous four games. One second would have made it 5 games in a row.
                        Row 1
                        Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          but it started in December.
                          I've been saying the same thing
                          Row 1
                          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

We should be ranked at worst 5th, maybe 6th any other ranking would be a joke.
                            Running down the roster we are the most talented team in the CCHA if not the entire NCAA.
                            11 NHL draft picks and the best coach in the league
                            This could be our year.

Comment

Why does it always seem like Michigan is playing it's best hockey when they play us? Maybe it's just all those God-awful (from my viewpoint anyway) 10-1 games...

Please tell me Hunwick is not playing as well as it appears, or that Merrill's return has created a very divided lockerroom, something to hang my hopes on? We've got issues. Goalie troubles, our "best" goal scorer has only managed to find the back of the net in 1 of his last 14 games, and we are really beginning to resemble the middle of the pack CCHA team that we are right now. Games in hand on most of the rest of you notwithstanding.

Congrats on the two thorough wins this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                                I don't recall if it was Hunt or Trainor during yesterday's game when osu went on the PP he said M was perfect on the PK over the previous four games. One second would have made it 5 games in a row.
                                They are much better, for sure. But from what Red has done in the past, there's still work to do. Coverage in the other end plus the neutral zone is awesome. But there are still some play issues in our D zone- particularly when they win the face off. Seems to be related to the base defensive play, too- they get into a panic, try a blind pass or dump, and before you know it, a great scoring chance. OSU had a few of them, but only got the one goal. Teams like Notre Dame probably wont be so nice.

Power play is a better just in one week. Against Lake State, we would do a great dump pass to the other winger, only to have him miss it completely, and the puck is back down the ice. This time, they were a lot more paitent, and moved the puck really well. Still have to find the way to score, but still.

My expectations are based on what Red has done in the past + the talent that they have shown. These guys can be great.

As for the polls- who cares? The only bragging right that really counts in seen in banners. As for which subjective poll is best- even if one is better than the other, the one that matters is PWR, since a close version of that is used in March. Even then, it doesn't matter until March....

Comment

Working...
                                X