Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Well I gues we can agree to disagree. What I see is a freshman that works his tail off every shift. He is strong on the puck and in the face off circle. He is a beast on the boards. Very strong and controls them with authority.

I would like him to shoot more. He is too unselfish with the puck in my opinion.

If he shoots more he will put up more points but what I like a lot is that he is not afraid to go in the corners or get pounded in front of the net.

we all know that he has tremedous scoring ability as anyone can see from his past. That skill doesn't just go away.

Personally, I would like to see him playing with Wohlberg and Brown. I think that would be a ridiculous line but I assume he is being used to balance our lines.

Having said that the kid is just a freshman and he's here to learn, like all freshmen. If he was perfect or any of our players for that matter were ready then they'd be in the show already.

I am sure happy he chose Micigan than some other school and I'd bet anything he will continue to improve and adjust to the college game.

The real issue Streaker is our returning players. We can't count on freshmen to take us to the promised land. If we have a chance to win a championship then our Seniors and Juniors have to step up and produce. Which I believe they will do.

As always look for a much better second half run and who knows maybe we'll surprise a lot of people.

Comment

RR- one thing about working hard- that phrase is overrated-even washing machines do that. You have to be productive.. and he will be. He's still adjusting to bigger, stronger more experienced players against him.

Yes, no doubt the junior and senior class will determine more than any group where this team is heading... even if two freshmen are leading the team in points.

Rumor is out that Michigan is talking to another back-up goalie for next season. Some kid named Steven Racine from the BCHL. He's bounced around alot playing for Chicago Steel of the USHL and the Chicago Hitmen of the NAHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Robin View Post
        The real issue Streaker is our returning players. We can't count on freshmen to take us to the promised land. If we have a chance to win a championship then our Seniors and Juniors have to step up and produce. Which I believe they will do.
        Hyman has always been a team leader. He was his Junior teams Captain at 17. That is virtually unheard of in Junior A hockey.

Comment

Has Hyman really been playing? Both on the team have left no impression on me. Being that one is an upper classman, the other is a highly touted freshman, and both are forewards- that's bad. Few of the forewards are playing decent D, and those two are not. Neither are scoring, either.

I guess that I'm not noticing due to their bad play, so there's a positive...

Comment

Well we still have a lot of hockey to play. Let's not forget this team has 9 freshmen and a small Senior class.
            Can't say anybody is playing poorly. Sure we can tighten up on D and put more pucks in the other net. But the team is still gelling and don't forget we are missing Merill in the line up.

Jon is a gigantic part of our team.

As far as our freshmen go. I am impressed and like what I see. There is always an adjustment period as Streaker points out.

I hope high end freshmen like Hyman stay the full four years, better for us that he takes more time adjusting to the college game and devloping, instead of him rocketting out the gate and being a one and done.

Let's also not forget that Zach is playing Center which means more skating, in all three zones and lots of corner work and playmaking.
            It's a lot easier to put up points from the Wing positions.

Not to take away from anyone else's play.

I really like the future of our team. As long as we can keep our players as long as possible we will be hard to beat down the road.

Look at last year's team. Hagelin and Louie and Matt and Scooter... the Seniors had a huge impact on us almost winning it all.

Carl benefitted by staying all 4 years at Michigan. Hopefully all of our players realize the advantages of developing in Michigan and getting a degree as well.

Go Blue!

Comment

I can certainly say that not everyone is playing to their capabilities or they wouldn't be a .500 team or 8-5 at Yost. Lindsay Sparks, Luke Moffatt and Kevin Lynch in particular, as far as the experienced players. And, like Berenson would say, the freshmen are not freshmen anymore once the second half starts.

Comment

Merrill news:

http://http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/19/two-days-in-the-desert-with-apples-lost-founder-ron-wayne/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmyaol%7Cdl11%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D121470
                Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                Row 1
                Seats 6 & 7
                Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

uh, Ron Wayne? Maybe the wrong link...

Comment

He probably meant to post this:

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?i...42#YourCallTop

Comment

Nice article.

Interesting little note about him and Red getting some early morning skates in.

Even if Jon doesn't stay with Michigan long, I do hope that his carreer in the NHL is long- he's really taking this well, I think. Behind closed doors, he may be protesting, etc- but to us- he's taking it full on, with full repercussions to bring him to his team and his school. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Nice article.

Interesting little note about him and Red getting some early morning skates in.

Even if Jon doesn't stay with Michigan long, I do hope that his carreer in the NHL is long- he's really taking this well, I think. Behind closed doors, he may be protesting, etc- but to us- he's taking it full on, with full repercussions to bring him to his team and his school. Very cool.
                        The fact that he screwed up yet again during his suspension tells me that he won't "get it" until he is serious about cleaning up his act- which, with all indications- he is. Kudos to Red and to all of the wise people in the know for the tough love. The last thing he needed was an out to the pro's. IMO, it would have train wrecked this kid's life- consider all of the talented NHLers that have taken a wrong path and have ended up destitute or worse. Makes you wonder why there has been so many suicides in sports this year also- the list is staggering from young people in their prime to retired athletes. Mindblowing.

Comment

Kind of surprised no one is talking about Mike Knuble's milestone (although since this isn't my team's thread I only read down a few posts). He is the exact player I love. Smart. Good in all 3 zones. Quiet leader. Congrats to his longevity.
                          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                            Kind of surprised no one is talking about Mike Knuble's milestone (although since this isn't my team's thread I only read down a few posts). He is the exact player I love. Smart. Good in all 3 zones. Quiet leader. Congrats to his longevity.
                            I loved Mike's play while at Michigan, but that was .. what... 16-17 years ago? Great accomplishment, no doubt and plenty of our M blogger sites have dedications to Mike for being the only M player to ever do it. MgoBlue.com did a great piece with Red chiming in, too.

This from college hockey, inc:

http://collegehockey.tumblr.com/post...g-1-000-career
                            Last edited by streaker; 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post

Jim
                              Thank you
                              I don't know how I did that. I must have clicked on the wrong tab I had open to get the URL
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                I loved Mike's play while at Michigan, but that was .. what... 16-17 years ago?
                                close

as I recall I think he graduated in '94 or '95 - that would make it 17 - 18 years ago
                                Row 1
                                Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Working...
                                X