Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
    Kudos to Berenson for letting Ann Arbor Pioneer play the game for the wolverines
    Looks like Pioneer is playing the game again today vs. Union...Michigan 0 - Union 4 almost midway through the 2nd p.
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Does anyone know where our defense went? Do we need to put in a different goalie to see if the defense will play better like in some previous years?
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

What in the world is happeneing? 6-3 loss? Seriously? After a 4-1 loss two days ago?

I knew Mel was a big part of our team, but that big?

Once again, I'm not all that unhappy that we went to a different event. Today, Canadian Brass > Michigan Hockey.

Hope this big trip to the north is a big team building event, else this season probably will end the streak.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          Does anyone know where our defense went?
          Houghton?
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Smithdog View Post
            I think the problem is deeper It looks to me like Mel Pearson is the one responsible for the success the team has had the last few years. Look what he’s done with a 20 year basement dweller, there’re now a top 20 team!
            Interesting theory. The good news is, when Red retires, they'll probably hire Pearson, and he'll have some experience as a head coach by then.

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            Does anyone know where our defense went? Do we need to put in a different goalie to see if the defense will play better like in some previous years?
            I have a few thoughts based on the three games I've seen in person (win against WMU Saturday, loss against OSU Saturday, loss against Union):

1. Hunwick seems to be giving up a lot more rebounds, and this is causing problems.

2. We're taking dumb penalties, and the penalty kill isn't very good.

3. We're giving up too many breakaways, which is probably a positioning problem that can be corrected.

4. I wouldn't say that this team lacks heart completely, but they're not as hungry as some other teams. WMU and OSU both seemed better at the forecheck and better at clogging up the passing lanes because their players hustled more. I didn't see us making them quite as uncomfortable.

Although I can't recall it leading to goals, I might add that we play a lot of risky passes in front of our own net, and we're going to get burned one of these days.

I think that the offense is fine, but they'd better sort out the defensive problems in a hurry, or our tournament streak will be over. The CCHA may be the best conference this year and we're not going to steamroll the conference schedule by showing up.

By the way, does anyone know why what would have been Michigan's third goal against Union today was ruled no goal? It looked clean on the replay to me. I couldn't understand the PA announcement.

Comment

I enjoyed the brass section on hi-fidelity monophonic 1050 AM this afternoon. There was such a ... church-like quality to the acoustics.

Comment

Originally posted by MichFan View Post
                Interesting theory. The good news is, when Red retires, they'll probably hire Pearson, and he'll have some experience as a head coach by then.

I have a few thoughts based on the three games I've seen in person (win against WMU Saturday, loss against OSU Saturday, loss against Union):

1. Hunwick seems to be giving up a lot more rebounds, and this is causing problems.

2. We're taking dumb penalties, and the penalty kill isn't very good.

3. We're giving up too many breakaways, which is probably a positioning problem that can be corrected.

4. I wouldn't say that this team lacks heart completely, but they're not as hungry as some other teams. WMU and OSU both seemed better at the forecheck and better at clogging up the passing lanes because their players hustled more. I didn't see us making them quite as uncomfortable.

Although I can't recall it leading to goals, I might add that we play a lot of risky passes in front of our own net, and we're going to get burned one of these days.

I think that the offense is fine, but they'd better sort out the defensive problems in a hurry, or our tournament streak will be over. The CCHA may be the best conference this year and we're not going to steamroll the conference schedule by showing up.

By the way, does anyone know why what would have been Michigan's third goal against Union today was ruled no goal? It looked clean on the replay to me. I couldn't understand the PA announcement.
                Where all of that is true, the culprit is mostly on the defensive side of the entire team's play. I have never seen a team so mentally lax in their coverage, or making line changes. The penalties are becoming a big issue although today against Union, the Laurel and Hardy crew they had this weekend officiating the games were especially brutal. (Langseth and Philo were both linesmen promoted to head officials. They sucked at that, too.) Four straight calls on Michigan, with slashing the call dujour. Berenson was right on with the first Union goal- Chiasson got hooked just as he was clearing the puck at the side of the net and the offender took it and lasered a perfect shot top corner over Hunwick. That should have been negated by a call. The other calls were cheap, but still, Union didn't get a penalty until midway through the second period. Union worked hard and made Michigan pay with turnovers, though. BUT, just as the Wolverines were getting back into the game, DiGiuseppe got called for a cheap high stick that led to another PPG. Seems like we can't get any breaks- and teams are coming into Yost without fear now.

Michigan's third goal was waived off because a Union player tipped the net forward prior to Brown's shot, although it never came off the pegs. It should have counted or at least drawn a minor to Union for delay of game.

Comment

Did anyone notice how the team came on the ice after the second intermission? I've never seen them step on the ice and then just walk to the bench. I've seen Michigan outplay other teams and lose, but they are the ones getting outplayed. Even the win over WMU we got outplayed. Our PK is terrible. During one of the PK's last night there were just two times the puck left the zone. Union was called for a hand pass, and they also knocked the puck down with a high stick. We never cleared the puck in the full 2 minutes.
                  No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Did anyone notice how the team came on the ice after the second intermission? I've never seen them step on the ice and then just walk to the bench.
                    Yes I did and told anyone willing to listen in my section.

I've seen Michigan outplay other teams and lose, but they are the ones getting outplayed. Even the win over WMU we got outplayed

Mentally the team is fragile. I like Luke Glendening, hard nosed kid, and Hunwick, but team leadership has to set by example. No one is stepping up. Even Chris Brown, a JUNIOR, was quoted yesterday in the post game presser as stating "Adversity doesn't define character, it reveals it". Here is a kid offering to step up, call it what it is and face it. The younger guys on the team need to hear that and embrace it. Two freshmen lead the team in goals and another in +/-. That is ridiculous.

Yes, I have never seen the string of teams walk into Yost and push Michigan around like the past six games. WMU, OSU, NE and Union all did it, and NMU as well asMiami really did it at their places. '85-86 was the last time Michigan lost 4 straight at home. The guys need to focus defensively first, then worry about scoring. Too many individual plays, positioning and pinching errors. It happens during slumps, but now they are pressing.

Our PK is terrible. During one of the PK's last night there were just two times the puck left the zone. Union was called for a hand pass, and they also knocked the puck down with a high stick. We never cleared the puck in the full 2 minutes.
                    Teams are figuring out if you pressure Michigan in their end, regardless of being on a PP or not, they will cough it up because they are focused not so much on winning the battle as much as trying to transition to offense. The PK is average (29th going into the weekend) and is being exploited by very good PP units- OSU, Union are one of the tops in the country. Outside of a few kids (Brown, Guptill, Pateryn, K Lynch) we don't have much size, either, or guys willing to play bigger than they are. Plus, we are getting dinged for cheap penalties when they do start to get physical. Also, Hunwick has not been spectacular in net since the Ferris sweep. His rebounds are killing him and many of the PPG's that have been scored are because of that, and, poor coverage. Tough to kill all the penalties when you are averaging 6-7 a game.

Comment

Did anyone notice how the team came on the ice after the second intermission? I've never seen them step on the ice and then just walk to the bench.
                      That reminds me of the Jack Johnson teams- when the "good" players scored, they did not incuude Sauer in the high 5's/congratulations. That showed so much of the team's character, it was scary.

At the beginning, we thought we had a team, even though a few of us were pointing out some rather major defensive issues. Now those issues are what is defining our team. No need to post anything new- it's the same problems.

Note- IMHO, having Merrill back will not change a thing. One person will not make the team, the team needs to do it. Although, one person can surely break the team....

Oh, well.

Comment

Originally posted by MichFan View Post

I humbly disagree. Hunwick has always given up a lot of rebounds. He plays outstanding positionally - always has his body in the way of the shot.

The difference is that in the past the skaters would clear them unlike what is happening now.
                        Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                        Row 1
                        Seats 6 & 7
                        Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Note- IMHO, having Merrill back will not change a thing. One person will not make the team, the team needs to do it. Although, one person can surely break the team....

Oh, well.
                          True, Merrill is probably worth one goal for per game and takes away one goal against. But right now, that is not nearly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            1000% agreement.

It is now up to 16 games and counting. I am starting to doubt if we WILL see him back. The more this drags on the more plausible I consider the rumor I heard at the start of the season.
                            Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                            Row 1
                            Seats 6 & 7
                            Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                              I humbly disagree. Hunwick has always given up a lot of rebounds. He plays outstanding positionally - always has his body in the way of the shot.

The difference is that in the past the skaters would clear them unlike what is happening now.
                              Joe, it is a little of both. Hunwick gave up a horrendous winning goal last friday against OSU-a shot from the corner that deflected off of his stick thru his five hole. His rebound control has been poor- and magnified by poor defensive coverage. The 2nd Northeastern goal on friday, simple shot from the corner that Hunwick deflected to his right to an open NE player. He needs to be more aware of where he is putting his rebounds. He had zero help against Union, though. Still, he hasn't been the difference maker during this streak.
                              Last edited by streaker; 11-28-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                                1000% agreement.

It is now up to 16 games and counting. I am starting to doubt if we WILL see him back. The more this drags on the more plausible I consider the rumor I heard at the start of the season.
                                He'll be back after the holidays. If he wasn't coming back then he would already be skating with Plymouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X