Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Good game last night. Western is for real. Looked fast and physical all night.

Something to try and take your minds off last night, here is a little write-up on Christoval "Boo" Nieves, a Michigan commit for 2012

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ist&Itemid=117
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Does ANYONE have an idea why Brown was a scratch last night?
      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
      Row 1
      Seats 6 & 7
      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
        I heard shoulder, but who knows. Must have happened in practice.

They were talking about him maybe playing tonight on the radio.
        Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
          I heard shoulder, but who knows. Must have happened in practice.

They were talking about him maybe playing tonight on the radio.
          When I got in my car on the way home from the game I caught Trainor and Randall saying "They've got to find a way to get him in the game tomorrow" but that was all I caught. SO I figured it was some sort of relatively minor injury. He looked okay last weekend so it had to be something in practice.
          Row 1
          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
            Left hand or wrist- that was wrapped last night as he watched the game from the letterman landing.

Comment

Totally ended up watching football...meaning I watched something with even less scoring. Sounds like we got outplayed in the 3rd. See y'all in Detroit in a few months (hopefully)
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Left hand or wrist- that was wrapped last night as he watched the game from the letterman landing.
                No, he's been playing with a broken thumb for the past several weeks. This is different- shoulder is my guess also since it is classified as "upper body, day to day".

They missed him and Merrill and will need both come March.

Keep in mind WMU had their best d-man (Witkowski) out Friday because of a dq from the previous week, and is also missing two junior forwards due to injury and academics.

I'll take the split, but WMU could and should have swept. I thought we played better friday and totally mailed in the 2nd period on saturday. Luckily the PPG's bailed us out, especially Guptill's. It set the stage for the third- I wouldn't want to have gone into the period behind. WMU's coach Murray was upset with the officiating, which, for him, isn't anything new. I thought they should have gotten a room on friday for all the sidebar meetings he wanted to have with them.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                  No, he's been playing with a broken thumb for the past several weeks. This is different- shoulder is my guess also since it is classified as "upper body, day to day".

They missed him and Merrill and will need both come March.

Keep in mind WMU had their best d-man (Witkowski) out Friday because of a dq from the previous week, and is also missing two junior forwards due to injury and academics.

I'll take the split, but WMU could and should have swept. I thought we played better friday and totally mailed in the 2nd period on saturday. Luckily the PPG's bailed us out, especially Guptill's. It set the stage for the third- I wouldn't want to have gone into the period behind. WMU's coach Murray was upset with the officiating, which, for him, isn't anything new. I thought they should have gotten a room on friday for all the sidebar meetings he wanted to have with them.
                  Thanks- thought it was more his hand, but hope he gets back, soon.

Never thought that you could see that much impact on one guy, but our offensive zone play just wasn't the same this weekend has it has been in the past.

The 3rd goal timing was really interesting- Mrs Alfa and I were discussing issues we've been seeing- from the team dumping and not being able to do anthing with it to the team trying skating up the boards- just to let Western cut us off. And right then, Lynch took the puck deep and let Trieas score the goal. Sometimes, the play lets you be lucky.

I too thought Western could have easily taken the weekend from us- they are playing really good hockey.

Which really makes me wonder about the coaching- Murray spent WAY too much timg complaining to the refs (and IMHO, earned a penalty on the icing/personnel play last night), and the team is diving a lot- too many times small hits (if there even was one) would draw penalties. Which also exposed some reffing inconsistencies, there's a shocker... Anyway- they are playing better than that- based on the hard nosed play, and the speed/hustle the team was showing- there's no need for generating cheap calls like that. Since SO many of the team was doing it, it's gotta be coaching. It was fun to see it bite them with a goal on Friday- when the goalie got hit in the head from his own player, and floundered on the ice long enough to allow a pretty easy goal.

Hope we can learn and build on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Which really makes me wonder about the coaching- Murray spent WAY too much timg complaining to the refs (and IMHO, earned a penalty on the icing/personnel play last night), and the team is diving a lot- too many times small hits (if there even was one) would draw penalties. Which also exposed some reffing inconsistencies, there's a shocker... Anyway- they are playing better than that- based on the hard nosed play, and the speed/hustle the team was showing- there's no need for generating cheap calls like that. Since SO many of the team was doing it, it's gotta be coaching. It was fun to see it bite them with a goal on Friday- when the goalie got hit in the head from his own player, and floundered on the ice long enough to allow a pretty easy goal.
                    Well, It was his first time coaching a college game at Yost. I'm sure he learned from it.

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
                      Well, It was his first time coaching a college game at Yost. I'm sure he learned from it.
                      I don't think it has anything to do with Yost, and I very much hope to see them on TV playing anyone else. And do hope my opinion is not correct....

Comment

It was a little tongue in cheek. The joke among my hockey friends is that if you win at Yost on Friday night, on Saturday you'll be 0-2 on the PP while Michigan will be 4-21

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
                          It was a little tongue in cheek. The joke among my hockey friends is that if you win at Yost on Friday night, on Saturday you'll be 0-2 on the PP while Michigan will be 4-21
                          And the first "Michigan gets all the calls" post falls on November 7th this year. That means two more weeks of autumn, right??

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
                            And the first "Michigan gets all the calls" post falls on November 7th this year. That means two more weeks of autumn, right??
                            LOL. Considering that the PP's were fairly even for the weekend for both teams (and U-M was the only team to capitalize). Murray has always been a yapper, even in the NHL. Solid coach, upright guy, but I hate that aspect when coaches try to work officials, especially at this level. Problem is, the officials let them get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                              Murray has always been a yapper, even in the NHL. Solid coach, upright guy, but I hate that aspect when coaches try to work officials, especially at this level. Problem is, the officials let them get away with it.
                              They're lucky I'm not wearing the stripes. I would go out of my way to make sure the next call put them down another skater. Of course, I've been called an "SOB" so many time I consider it a compliment.
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Through all of the "stuff"...

We still have a tough weekend ahead of us. Miami's record may not be too hot this season, but they still are Miami, and we still have not won in Oxford for quite some time. This will be an interesting weekend- we had the tough time up in Marquette, followed by a great weekend at home, then a very tough weekend at home- what will we get this weekend?

Only our second set of games away from Yost- get used to it, boys- you have WAY more away games than home for the remainder- and it's just November.

If the games are on TV, I get to miss them both- two different things going on tonight and tomorrow, but that matters little. Go Blue!

Comment

Working...
                                X