Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Most complete game of the season tonight. Solid pressure, good offense, sound defense and even decent PK. Hunwick gets his 6th career shutout. Ferris is better than they showed, but I think Michigan played really well most of the weekend.

Oh, and no Ferris fans were found bludgeoned in section 10 or 11.
    Not that we didn't try though

Totally agree on the game, nice to see them improve like that.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by GustafssonBrokeMyHeart View Post
      Anyone know much about Rutledge? Obviously a little undersized but look how Hunwick turned out. The fact that he would start as a freshman has to be a pretty attractive factor in him choosing to go the college route.
      Adrian put 6 in the net against him tonight.

I didn't notice much out of Carrick tonight, but Trouba is the real deal, and Rutledge didn't look bad, believe it or not.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by GustafssonBrokeMyHeart View Post
        The Di Giuseppe-Treais-Brown line is a heck of a line to watch: great passing, creativity, and unselfishness.
        I was thinking that same thing. I've always liked Treais quickness, ability to change directions on a dime and his hands. Brown's size and knack for going to the right place has served him well. The addition of DiGiuseppe has really made this line click. For whatever reason they just seem to fit in well and complement each other.

So far, through 8 games they are thid, fourth and fifth in scoring on the team, DiGiuseppe 5-4-9, Treais 5-4-9 and Brown 3-6-9. That makes the line 13-14-27 through 8 games.

Sparks is 5-6-11 and Wohlberg is 3-7-10.

Speaking of Sparks - he has been a pleasant surprise so far this season.

I liked and disliked at the same time a little play near the end (about 2:00 on the clock) of Thursday's game - Brown and DiGiuseppe were going in on an empty net. At about low end of the circles Brown passed it across to DiGiuseppe so he could put it in. Phill looked like he wasn't expecting it and almost misplayed it. I like that Brown was totally unselfish but it almost backfired. If DiGiuseppe hadn't yet scored it would have been a different story - "Let's get him one" but #7 already had. That made it a 3 goal lead and Daniels put the goalie back in. If they had missed the goalie would have stayed on the bench and who knows what might have happened.
        Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
        Row 1
        Seats 6 & 7
        Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
          I was thinking that same thing. I've always liked Treais quickness, ability to change directions on a dime and his hands. Brown's size and knack for going to the right place has served him well. The addition of DiGiuseppe has really made this line click. For whatever reason they just seem to fit in well and complement each other.

So far, through 8 games they are thid, fourth and fifth in scoring on the team, DiGiuseppe 5-4-9, Treais 5-4-9 and Brown 3-6-9. That makes the line 13-14-27 through 8 games.

Sparks is 5-6-11 and Wohlberg is 3-7-10.

Speaking of Sparks - he has been a pleasant surprise so far this season.

I liked and disliked at the same time a little play near the end (about 2:00 on the clock) of Thursday's game - Brown and DiGiuseppe were going in on an empty net. At about low end of the circles Brown passed it across to DiGiuseppe so he could put it in. Phill looked like he wasn't expecting it and almost misplayed it. I like that Brown was totally unselfish but it almost backfired. If DiGiuseppe hadn't yet scored it would have been a different story - "Let's get him one" but #7 already had. That made it a 3 goal lead and Daniels put the goalie back in. If they had missed the goalie would have stayed on the bench and who knows what might have happened.
          Treais and Sparks have really stepped up their game.

Lynch and Brown still have to focus on staying out of the box.

I really like Chaisson, very few mistakes for a freshman. Pateryn was uncharacteristically shaky last night but made a few goal saving plays on 2x1 and net tie-ups.

If and when Merrill comes back, my candidate for sitting right now is Clare or Serville. Neither have been steady. Too many unforced mistakes.

I can't fault Brown for dishing to PDG. You always have to have your stick on the ice and look for a pass. I don't think it would have mattered, two goal lead and all.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            If and when Merrill comes back, my candidate for sitting right now is Clare or Serville. Neither have been steady. Too many unforced mistakes.
            Methinks it will be Clare. He has a years experience and should be better. Serville was highly regarded coming in - the additional experience to be gained should help him along.
            Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7
            Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
              Methinks it will be Clare. He has a years experience and should be better. Serville was highly regarded coming in - the additional experience to be gained should help him along.
              Unless his game improves a lot, I think it will be Clare, too. I've liked his play in the past, but he seems to be taking too long deciding what to do with the puck, and then his passes are slow on top of that. And if that doesn't pan out, his dump outs are problematic- too often they are stopped at the blue line somehow. He has time to improve, though.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Unless his game improves a lot, I think it will be Clare, too. I've liked his play in the past, but he seems to be taking too long deciding what to do with the puck, and then his passes are slow on top of that. And if that doesn't pan out, his dump outs are problematic- too often they are stopped at the blue line somehow. He has time to improve, though.
                Attending the Thursday game vs. Ferris St., it was a bit nervewracking when the 3rd defensive pairing with Clare-Serville were on the ice. All Clare has to do is concentrate on defense only, 100% of the time. No offensive contribution necessary. That's the price we pay for Jon Merrill's issue. The D should look very solid if Merrill does return in January...

Merrill-Pateryn
                Bennett-Chiasson
                Moffie-Serville
                Clare-Szuma

Comment

I'm thinking that Michigan gets the sweep at home this weekend again.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                    I'm thinking that Michigan gets the swept at home this weekend.
                    It is a possibility.
                    B2
                    It will only get better!

Comment

Originally posted by BII View Post
                      It is a possibility.
                      Michigan will kick butt this weekend.
                      Too Deep!
                      Go Blue!!!

Comment

Hunwick has been missed.

Comment

I'm excited for this weekend!

My heart tells me we come out of Yost with 3 points, my head tells me we'll be lucky to leave with 1 or 2. It's never easy to come into Yost and take points. So, this weekend will be a great test for the Broncos.

I'm glad we catch you guys early, before Merrill comes back.

Let's have some fun huh?
                          Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                          Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Hardest place to play against in college hockey. They won thier last 20 home games. Catching them early is no break, the only break is not playing them at all! I'm glad my Black Bears are playing BC instead of Michigan.

Comment

I honestly think Michigan will get the sweep. Nobody wins at Yost except Michigan, nobody.
                              ---
                              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                              19 Conference Championships
                              10 Conference Tournament Championships
                              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

MGoBlueHockey, your honest opinion please: What do think's going to happen this weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X