Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Where that is true, the kid is being a dick. Sorry to say that, but it's true.
    He's not doing what he needs to do to return. So, yeah, Streaker is correct.

C-YA!

excerpt from a Michigan Daily article:

Merrill is currently serving a 12-game suspension leveled prior to the season for violating team rules. Under the policy, he was eligible to return to practice after two weeks. Friday marked the end of those two weeks, but he did not attend the practice then or on subsequent dates.

“Right now it’s still in a gray area,” Berenson said. “I can’t tell you that there is or there isn’t (a return date), but I think at some point we’ll have to either figure that out or announce it.”

The choice to restore Merrill’s practice eligibility isn’t Berenson’s alone. He said that Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon will also offer input.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7
    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

OUTSTANDING article on Shawn Hunwick:

http://michigandaily.com/sports/grow...-shawn-hunwick
      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
      Row 1
      Seats 6 & 7
      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
        He's not doing what he needs to do to return. So, yeah, Streaker is correct.

C-YA!

excerpt from a Michigan Daily article:

Merrill is currently serving a 12-game suspension leveled prior to the season for violating team rules. Under the policy, he was eligible to return to practice after two weeks. Friday marked the end of those two weeks, but he did not attend the practice then or on subsequent dates.

“Right now it’s still in a gray area,” Berenson said. “I can’t tell you that there is or there isn’t (a return date), but I think at some point we’ll have to either figure that out or announce it.”

The choice to restore Merrill’s practice eligibility isn’t Berenson’s alone. He said that Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon will also offer input.
        If it was a pure behavioral issue then it would be purely up to Red. However, with the AD getting involved, this feels like an eligibility issue.

Comment

Where that is true, the kid is being a dick. Sorry to say that, but it's true.
          Wow, EXCELLENT point of view. Hope the team can accept that and move on, too. On or off the team- if he can do what it takes, accept him, and let him play- or if he does not, fill the gaps and keep playing.

For sure, he can make the team better. The question is if they realize that they are not worse without him. They are just not better (and there is a difference).

Comment

Here is an interview with a Wolverine 2012 recruit from Toronto. Hes good but his stats aren't that stellar...

http://jrhockeyrecruit.com/2011/10/m...ockey-recruit/

Comment

Well, that was not a great weekend, was it?

Not totally unexpected, although I was expecting more of a split, than just 2 points. (and for the record, which is skipping, I hate shootouts- even if we finaly won one).

Still have D issues, and the offensive prowess we showed in previous games dried up. Hopefully, they will learn what it takes to put a good power play together. And, from what I've read, also understand that the passing issues we've had were not flukes.

I'm more bummed by the number of goals scored than anything. Sure, Hunwick, admittedly, was a moron, and put Janick in a bad spot. But the D should have stepped up for it, much like when Shawn first was put in the net a few years ago.

Based on what the other thread is posting, I'll sure not miss playing NMU much. Team and competition, sure- the fans, not so much.

Tough test this weekend- Ferris is playing really well, and we are not. Oh, and don't forget that this is a THURSDAY/Friday weekend.

Comment

Alfa-

Yeah 2 out of 6 points, not so good. In my mind, I don't count shoot-outs, so it seems more like 1 out of 4.

Hunwick has shown some of the hot-headedness in the past (last year in Munn, for example) but I would really wish he would realize how much that hurts the team. Maybe getting kicked out of the game got it through his head. It took a similar incident a couple of years ago to get it through my head. My wife told me she would not bring my son to anymore of my games if there was a chance I would do stupid stuff like that again.

As for Ferris, the look of this series has sure turned around from pre-season. It does look like FSU is the real-deal, but I like our chances at home. Also, I am sure that this week in practice, Red will get some good, hard work out of the boys. Look for them to come out ready for action.
                Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

BTW, there are rumors that Merrill will stay with the team. This opposed to the recent rumors about the Plymouth. Just heard it this morning on the rivals site.

Comment

Screw the NMU fans, liquid courage and hatred are a bad mix. Besides, their fans like to run their mouths and write checks their team can't cash. 2-9-1 last 12 on their home ice against Michigan. Never have beaten the Wolverines in the semi's or the final at the JLA. Aside from a 1st round playoff series, we won't have to go back up there. Cut out of the same cloth as the UNO fan. I guess in Yooper language, were all turrible peoples, woa. Hunwick cost us a game on Friday and then they blew a couple leads saturday- and a five minute PP. Not good.

Merrill: seeing is believing- if and when he comes back to practice.

Ferris: seemed to have put together some offense again and has a terrific goaltending tandem. Things are usually edgy when these teams meet. Hope Red encourages the boys to tighten up the team defense and fix the atrocious penalty killing. Staying out of the box- especially our experienced guys would help.

Comment

Screw the NMU fans, liquid courage and hatred are a bad mix. Besides, their fans like to run their mouths and write checks their team can't cash. 2-9-1 last 12 on their home ice against Michigan. Never have beaten the Wolverines in the semi's or the final at the JLA. Aside from a 1st round playoff series, we won't have to go back up there. Cut out of the same cloth as the UNO fan. I guess in Yooper language, were all turrible peoples, woa. Hunwick cost us a game on Friday and then they blew a couple leads saturday- and a five minute PP. Not good.

Merrill: seeing is believing- if and when he comes back to practice.

Ferris: seemed to have put together some offense again and has a terrific goaltending tandem. Things are usually edgy when these teams meet. Hope Red encourages the boys to tighten up the team defense and fix the atrocious penalty killing. Staying out of the box- especially our experienced guys would help.
                      Just returning the favors. Wear an opposing team's jersey at Yost and see just how much kindness, compassion and good sportsmanship you get. What's the matter? You can dish it out, but can't take it? Call Hunwick, see if he'll let you play kick the helmet and throw the stick then lend you his crying towel. Now, chances are the results could be different at Yost, no doubt about it.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Just returning the favors. Wear an opposing team's jersey at Yost and see just how much kindness, compassion and good sportsmanship you get. What's the matter? You can dish it out, but can't take it? Call Hunwick, see if he'll let you play kick the helmet and throw the stick then lend you his crying towel. Now, chances are the results could be different at Yost, no doubt about it.
                        Spoken like a fan who has never actually been to Yost. great preceptions, if it keeps the likes of you away. Please, make it stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Spoken like a fan who has never actually been to Yost. great preceptions, if it keeps the likes of you away. Please, make it stay that way.
                          Been there at least a half dozen times. Loved the night they put the flyers on the seats in the student section begging for good behavior. Also loved the classy greeting given three friends who were wearing NMU jerseys.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Been there at least a half dozen times. Loved the night they put the flyers on the seats in the student section begging for good behavior. Also loved the classy greeting given three friends who were wearing NMU jerseys.
                            I know I very much enjoy punching oppostion fans in the nuts when they pass by me in the stands.... streaker gets the ones in the section over. Gives them a warm fuzzy feeling at yost.

You've made your opinion- stay away. We are fine with that. No need to post here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              I know I very much enjoy punching oppostion fans in the nuts when they pass by me in the stands.... streaker gets the ones in the section over.
                              So the sections I should avoid in February are...?

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                                So the sections I should avoid in February are...?
                                That's the best part- we are in the north end, where most of the opposition fans are.

The parents get off easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X