Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Hope you guys atleast brought the KY to Yost tonight. Ouch.

Good luck the rest of this season. wT/alfa/anybody else who was there, did SLU get outplayed that much, or are you guys just that good? The stats show a relatively even game, but obviously the score says otherwise.
    The Saints dominated the first twelve minutes, actually- and scored first on a 2x1 and had a 9-2 shot advantage. After that Michigan woke up and just outskated them. There were some hightlight reel goals and some weak goaltending, too, which is why Weninger got yanked. The three late first period goals really set STL on their heels. If it wasn't for some dumb penalties, they probably wouldn't have had the chance to even be close at 5-2. The third period started at 7-3 and both teams slept through the first ten minutes. Then, Michigan scored the eighth goal and it was like the Saints quit skating. Michigan took it to them the rest of the period. Flanagan came to play tonight for the Saints, but that was about it. SOG were fairly even, but that was mostly due to the Saints PP chances. Michigan dominated the game, but I wouldn't say that this will be indicative of what they'll do to a more talented opponent. The Wolverines have eaten the cupcakes (Niagara, Bentley and St. Lawrence) and now need to show what they have on the road next weekend at NMU before concluding the month at Yost against Ferris.

Comment

Didn't expect what so ever that we would dominate St. Lawerence like that. Nor do I recall the last time we posted a Pizza score like that. So long that it appears that the reference isn't even with the students anymore.

Still- imho we have some things to work on. 1) D needs to stop pinching SO MUCH. I'm ok for them to play offense, but they are taking too many chances that lead to odd man rushes. SL's first goal was a direct result of that, and was a very easy 3x1, actually. 2) Defensive zone play- like last weekend, we struggled to get out of the zone far too often. Those kinds of struggles can lead to a very long night against a team that can be more opportunistic. 3) the first few seconds of a PK- that's the second time we got scored on within seconds of a penalty. can't lose those faceoff's that cleanly. They did reasonably good on the PK once a zone was developed, but need to calm down a little when dumping the puck out- you can see that there's a little too much desparation at times, and the puck just doesn't go anywhere.

On the good side- well, scoring. They hit gaps that I didn't expect to get in, and people were on the door step to put in some slop. 2 of Luke's goals were from the goal crease to the back of the net. Don't need much skill to bury that, but you need skill to know to be there. The PK when the puck is deep in the oppoent zone or at neutral ice contines to be very entertaining for Michigan fans, and must drive opposition coaches nuts. That's pretty awesome.

StL still got a LOT of shots off last night. We got a goal every 3ish shots, they- every 10. 10-3. The final goal tender didn't belong in net, IMHO- diGuiseppe and Wholberg's goals were a sleeping goalie, or he had the deer in the headlights synrome.

Good progress, and still things to work on. Fun so far, and now it will get very interesting to see if we are really that good.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post

StL still got a LOT of shots off last night. We got a goal every 3ish shots, they- every 10. 10-3. The final goal tender didn't belong in net, IMHO- diGuiseppe and Wholberg's goals were a sleeping goalie, or he had the deer in the headlights synrome.
        Ya, about that... Grilk is easily our 4th horse in the goalie barn, and is a walk on. Once I realized he was in net (after the 9th goal) I knew that 10 was likely going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Didn't expect what so ever that we would dominate St. Lawerence like that. Nor do I recall the last time we posted a Pizza score like that. So long that it appears that the reference isn't even with the students anymore.
          2008 CCHA Playoffs Game 1 vs Nebraska-Omaha, 10-1.

Comment

Ya, about that... Grilk is easily our 4th horse in the goalie barn, and is a walk on. Once I realized he was in net (after the 9th goal) I knew that 10 was likely going to happen.
            Ouch. Couldn't really figure why your second goalie was pulled after the end of the 2nd.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Ouch. Couldn't really figure why your second goalie was pulled after the end of the 2nd.
              Eh, our 3rd goalie has yet to see playing time, and I'm not sure he made the trip (I would assume he did), but I'm kind of hoping he gets the look tomorrow night @RIT. He has played pretty well in very limited action last couple seasons, and the other 3 goalies certainly haven't been stellar for us so far. Granted, last weekend was penalty issues, last night was #4 Michigan issues, but giving up 19 goals in 3 games is going to make this a very, very long season if we don't figure something out.

Comment

Eh, our 3rd goalie has yet to see playing time, and I'm not sure he made the trip (I would assume he did), but I'm kind of hoping he gets the look tomorrow night @RIT. He has played pretty well in very limited action last couple seasons, and the other 3 goalies certainly haven't been stellar for us so far. Granted, last weekend was penalty issues, last night was #4 Michigan issues, but giving up 19 goals in 3 games is going to make this a very, very long season if we don't figure something out.
                I am not sure Grilk or Spads is 3rd or 4th, but I know neither of them are one and two. STL is a better team than that but last night just sounded like a total **** show. SLU is giving up to many goals period. Whether it is team defense or goaltending, it is a pretty obvious problem. If we can skate with Yale, we can skate with anyone, but so far what I have seen has been depressing. It is way too early in the season to have our lack of depth at defense exposed. Where was Dewey? All I can say, is I'd rather get run out of the barn in October and learn from it than start off with a false sense of confidence. We need to get a lot better fast and tighten up defensively a lot. At least the refs didn't screw us, but I am sure they would have it was closer and needed to help!

Michigan is a young team and obviously a good team. I suspect you will have some fun watching them in Ann Arbor this season.
                9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

It was a tremendous experience watching a game at Yost...although not much of a game - Classy team, fans, students and pep band.

Comment

Originally posted by nhmonarch View Post
                    It was a tremendous experience watching a game at Yost...although not much of a game - Classy team, fans, students and pep band.
                    Wow, thanks. Frame this post for future reference. Glad the chants didn't offend. Hope coach Marsh gets well soon, also.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Still- imho we have some things to work on. 1) D needs to stop pinching SO MUCH. I'm ok for them to play offense, but they are taking too many chances that lead to odd man rushes. SL's first goal was a direct result of that, and was a very easy 3x1, actually. 2) Defensive zone play- like last weekend, we struggled to get out of the zone far too often. Those kinds of struggles can lead to a very long night against a team that can be more opportunistic. 3) the first few seconds of a PK- that's the second time we got scored on within seconds of a penalty. can't lose those faceoff's that cleanly. They did reasonably good on the PK once a zone was developed, but need to calm down a little when dumping the puck out- you can see that there's a little too much desparation at times, and the puck just doesn't go anywhere.

On the good side- well, scoring. They hit gaps that I didn't expect to get in, and people were on the door step to put in some slop. 2 of Luke's goals were from the goal crease to the back of the net. Don't need much skill to bury that, but you need skill to know to be there. The PK when the puck is deep in the oppoent zone or at neutral ice contines to be very entertaining for Michigan fans, and must drive opposition coaches nuts. That's pretty awesome.

Good progress, and still things to work on. Fun so far, and now it will get very interesting to see if we are really that good.
                      Couple things- yes way too many shots, but understandable once the game was out of hand.
                      Second, the defense isn't pinching all that much, just making poor decisions- they are quickly giving up the blue line more than pinching, IMO and choosing to pinch at the wrong time. That's what happens when you have three freshmen playing D and others up front.
                      Third, some chatter from some of the experienced players suggest that they are a little sore about hearing the projections about Michigan struggling to score. I hope they understand that playing near last place clubs at home doesn't amount to much proof that the offense "has arrived". We'll see next weekend on the road.

Comment

Serville and Szuma were the D pair out for the first goal. Szuma pinched, got beat, and then Serville compounded the error by giving up the pass across the slot. Empty net, 1-0 SLU. That happened again later but the shot went wide or Hunwick made the save, idk. I expect those kind of mistakes from freshmen, and I really don't mind them in a 10-3 game. Just as long as the coaches show them the video and they learn from it.

I don't remember many, if any 'cheap goals'. Pateryn had a great blast that redirected off the Dman's stick and beat the goalie top corner. I thought Wohlbergs goal was a great play. He appeared to be taking the goal behind the net, the goalie left the pipe a split second early and Wohlberg showed great stick work to bring the puck over and tuck it in the net. Moffat's goal was great too. Picked up the puck in the circle and skated to the slot and let go a backhand with a lot of traffic. The goalie never saw it.
                        No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          Couple things- yes way too many shots, but understandable once the game was out of hand.
                          Second, the defense isn't pinching all that much, just making poor decisions- they are quickly giving up the blue line more than pinching, IMO and choosing to pinch at the wrong time. That's what happens when you have three freshmen playing D and others up front.
                          Third, some chatter from some of the experienced players suggest that they are a little sore about hearing the projections about Michigan struggling to score. I hope they understand that playing near last place clubs at home doesn't amount to much proof that the offense "has arrived". We'll see next weekend on the road.
                          re-shots- they were outshooting us most of the night. Well before the game got out of hand- it was a little nervewracking in the first period.

At this point, I'd rather the D give up the blue line vs. give up odd man rushes- it's not as if we are lacking on the scoring front, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MichiganHockey27 View Post
                            It must be increasingly easier everyday to be tempted to leave. Jon is a great defenseman, but chances are, he's not staying four years no matter what. I just wish players these days would realize their obligation to their school, and more importantly, to their teammates. Why go the college route if you're focused on yourself? I think Red is doing the right thing, and I respect him even more for it.
                            It is just Red being Red. He has always been that way. That is why he has the highest respect of his peers.
                            Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                            Row 1
                            Seats 6 & 7
                            Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                              It is just Red being Red. He has always been that way. That is why he has the highest respect of his peers.
                              Where that is true, the kid is being a dick. Sorry to say that, but it's true.

Comment

There are credible reports Merrill has been sighted frequenting Compuware Arena.
                                The Whalers have his OHL rights.
                                Is this any indication where he will play his next game?
                                Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                                Row 1
                                Seats 6 & 7
                                Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Working...
                                X