• Show
Clear All

• the Highway 2 Conference -- A proposal

The core of the HWY 2 Conference:

LSSU
    Tech
    NMU
    Bemidji

As a life-long Laker fan and supporter, I am hoping that LSSU leaves the CCHA far, far in the rear-view mirror. I am hoping Tech, NMU, and BSU follow suit.

The CCHA is/was a horribly run operation. I am hearing that the boys out west were none to fond of the WCHA operation, either.

I submit its time to blow the whole thing up.

I can only submit my opinions from an LSSU slant, as that is where my heart resides. I believe that LSSU will only survive, and will only thrive, if they can get into a league with NMU, MTU, and Bemidji (call it the U.S. 2 alliance). Any other teams that round out that league would be fine -- but in my opinion for fan support, energy, similarly situated schools, similarly situated budgets, and similary situated institutional support for hockey -- LSSU MUST find a way to allign themselves with Tech, Northern, and the Beavers.

In my opinion, any league discussion MUST start with those four schools having their own meeting and setting their own parameters, and reaching out from there. These are the four best programs remaining (not in recent W-L records, but rather in the more important long-term indicators of success: financial, facility, and institutional support).

Consider the excellent facilities each of these schools provides. Consider the solid fan base, and solid alumni base, in small, hockey-mad, winter cities. Consider that each of these programs has a history and tradition of success and has each fed, in their own time, star players to the NHL.

Let us be a bit cold-blooded here: what do Ferris and BGSU bring to LSSU? Why should LSSU look south and east when the obvious connection is West? I mean, if BGSU and Ferris want to join the U.S. 2 League, great. But the discussion should center on the UP schools / BSU -- and radiate outward from there. NOt the other way around.

The U.S. 2 schools need to set themselves up as a solid block, and allow gravity to bring schools into THEIR orbit, rather than limping around, hat in hand, like a wounded beggar asking for scraps. We are all better schools, and better programs, than every other remaining school.

Bring the Alaska schools into the mix, and you have a very nice, tight conference of Far Northern Schools:

LSSU
    NMU
    Tech
    BSU
    Fairbanks
    UAA

Great rivalries. Great travel partners. All institutions similarly dedicated and funded.

Its time for the UP schools to flex some muscle. I know, after ten years under Tom A's "leadership," we have all been made to feel like we are impovershed scum, small school burdens. We are bad for TV in Detroit, and that was the only thing Tom A and his evil mavens cared about. Well, Tom is gone, the CCHA is dead. Time for the UP schools to grab themselves by the back of the neck, pull themselves up, slap themselves in the face, and remind themselves that they are excellent D-I hockey programs. Stop acting like beat dogs. We are not dogs. If the U.S. 2 schools band together, the other midwestern schools will have to deal with a very good bloc.

Re: the Highway 2 Conference -- A proposal

Cept NMU is bout to jump to the WCHA.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

If you create a Highway 2 conference, I DEMAND you add UVM and Maine. Their respective towns are also along US 2.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        If you create a Highway 2 conference, I DEMAND you add UVM and Maine. Their respective towns are also along US 2.
        Now what would Hippies and Lobster add to this conference
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Hey, do we salute or spit in the St Louis Bay as we cross the Bong Bridge bypassing our friends from Duluth?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
            Hey, do we salute or spit in the St Louis Bay as we cross the Bong Bridge bypassing our friends from Duluth?
            How about not doing that because US 2 Doesn't come within 40 miles of LSSU.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

UMD (Duluth, MN) and UND (Grand Forks, ND) decline.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
                You might as well back track and spit at Grand Forks too.
                "My greatest achievement."
                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  How about not doing that because US 2 Doesn't come within 40 miles of LSSU.
                  Or Marquette. Or Houghton.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                    Bring the Alaska schools into the mix, and you have a very nice, tight conference of Far Northern Schools:

LSSU
                    NMU
                    Tech
                    BSU
                    Fairbanks
                    UAA

Great rivalries. Great travel partners. All institutions similarly dedicated and funded.
                    This matches my proposal from last week. But I don't mind letting Mankato & St. Cloud hang around also.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

The U.S. 2 schools need to set themselves up as a solid block, and allow gravity to bring schools into THEIR orbit, rather than limping around, hat in hand, like a wounded beggar asking for scraps. We are all better schools, and better programs, than every other remaining school.

LSSU
                      NMU
                      Tech
                      BSU
                      Fairbanks
                      UAA

Its time for the UP schools to flex some muscle. I know, after ten years under Tom A's "leadership," we have all been made to feel like we are impovershed scum, small school burdens. We are bad for TV in Detroit, and that was the only thing Tom A and his evil mavens cared about. Well, Tom is gone, the CCHA is dead. Time for the UP schools to grab themselves by the back of the neck, pull themselves up, slap themselves in the face, and remind themselves that they are excellent D-I hockey programs. Stop acting like beat dogs. We are not dogs. If the U.S. 2 schools band together, the other midwestern schools will have to deal with a very good bloc.
                      Good post.
                      NMU '99

Comment

Its time for the UP schools to flex some muscle.
                        And what muscle do they have to flex? Full arenas? Wildly successful programs? A string of NCAA tourney appearances? Where is the muscle?
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

How about Tech, Northern, Lake State, and Bowling Green. The "we uzda be a conteda" conference.

Had CC and UMD not been taken up, I'd add them, too.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            And what muscle do they have to flex? Full arenas? Wildly successful programs? A string of NCAA tourney appearances? Where is the muscle?
                            Exactly.
                            http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...commercial.jpg
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              How about Tech, Northern, Lake State, and Bowling Green. The "we uzda be a conteda" conference.

Had CC and UMD not been taken up, I'd add them, too.
                              The Truth Is Out There....
                              TBA

Comment

Working...
                              X