Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Stout Player Found Not Guilty

Article in Vancouver Sun

HUDSON, Wisc. -- A jury on Friday evening found Jared C. Britton of Regina not guilty of felony murder for causing the death of fellow University of Wisconsin-Stout student Bradley L. Simon.

The verdict was reached following seven hours of deliberations.

Britton, 23, played for the university's hockey team and now resides in Maplewood, Minn.

He and Jedidiah R. McGlasson, 22, of Menomonie, Wisc., faced charges for causing Simon's death after the victim fell from a bicycle outside a bar in Menomonie last Sept. 18.

Simon sustained traumatic head injuries and died on Sept. 23.

Britton and Simon argued in the Log Jam tavern in downtown Menomonie prior to Simon's death. Britton, McGlasson and other UW-Stout hockey team members and recruits waited for Simon outside the tavern.

It remains uncertain who pushed the bicycle. On Thursday Joe Krier, a retired UW-Stout executive director of athletics and recreation, testified that Britton told him McGlasson pushed the bike as it came toward him.

Britton told police McGlasson pushed the bike. McGlasson, whose trial is scheduled for August, hasn't given a statement to police.

Defence attorney Earl Gray had argued the bike's defective brakes and Simon's level of intoxication were responsible for the crash. The prosecution contended Britton shoved the bike Simon was riding because he was upset about a comment Simon made about his clothing.

The trial was moved to the town of Hudson because of pretrial publicity in Menomonie
    Once an Otter, always an Otter!
    Mike Donaghue, one of the best to every stand behind the Otter bench!

Re: Former Stout Player Found Not Guilty

So happy for Jared and his family. Can't imagine what the past 10 months have been like for them.

Keep on keepin' on, Deaner!
    WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
    NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
    WIAC Championships: 10-11
    NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
    NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
      So happy for Jared and his family. Can't imagine what the past 10 months have been like for them.

Keep on keepin' on, Deaner!
      Probably still better than the family of Mr. Simon, since he is dead and Mr. Britton gets to go home as deemed by a jury of his peers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
        Probably still better than the family of Mr. Simon, since he is dead and Mr. Britton gets to go home as deemed by a jury of his peers.
        True. It's a tragedy for all the families involved. However, Being accused and painted as something you're not has to be tough.
        Last edited by BlueDevilRadio; 07-09-2011, 11:19 AM.
        WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
        NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
        WIAC Championships: 10-11
        NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
        NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

I've been following this story since it began. I too, feel for all parties involved and in particular the Simon family.

One question...when the story first broke there were a few photos of the scene and I couldn't help notice that someone at sometime had decided to extend a retaining wall across a public sidewalk at the bottom of a slope. Can someone confirm to me that this is where the accident took place?

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
            True. It's a tragedy for all the families involved. However, Being falsely accused and painted as something you're not has to be tough. I'm happy the real facts came out in trial and the whole "wolf pack" mentality was shown to be false hearsay.
            Well, a judge did allow a trial to proceed, which meant there was a likelihood a felony was committed. In any case, in the end no one will escape their final judgement, you and I included.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
              Well, a judge did allow a trial to proceed, which meant there was a likelihood a felony was committed. In any case, in the end no one will escape their final judgement, you and I included.
              Leviticus 19:18
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

As a proud American, I love our ability to never convict the people who have the evidence pointing directly at them.
                I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                  As a proud American, I love our ability to never convict the people who have the evidence pointing directly at them.
                  so...a jury of twelve (12) equally proud American's got it wrong after weighing the evidence presented and deliberating for 7 hours?

Your watching too much Nancy Grace methinks.

Comment

People are sheep and Nancy Grace is a fool. Next thing you are going to tell me is that OJ was perfectly innocent as well. Juries have made bad mistakes before and it will happen again in the future.
                    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                      People are sheep and Nancy Grace is a fool. Next thing you are going to tell me is that OJ was perfectly innocent as well. Juries have made bad mistakes before and it will happen again in the future.
                      Let's remember, yours and my burden to judge guilt or non-guilt is much lower than someone who takes the oath to be a juror. While I might be angry at some verdicts, I try not to judge the people charged with determining a verdict.....
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95
                      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Wisconsin is one of these states where a jury can only decide on the charge presented to them. Here felony murder. When I was in grad school there in the early 1980's a group of kids drove into a farm yard and filled up their car from the farmers fuel tank. The farmer came out of the house with a rifle he thought was loaded with pellets. As the kids drove away, he shot at them to "scare" them. Unfortunately, the rifle was loaded with a solid shell. One passenger in the car was struck and killed. The farmer was tried for murder. He was found not guilty. I would think that there might have been a different outcome if he had been tried with a lesser charge such as manslaughter or such, however that was not an option. I have always wondered if that was the desired outcome (farmer not guilty) when the DA prosecuted the case.
                        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

On the original threads to this case, everyone said wait for the court case was the way to go. now it doesn't come out the way some hoped or expected and they still arent happy. BetterinLP and sirnubs are the USCHO Nancy Grace team.. No real knowledge of the case. Not in the courtroom. arm chair observers who throw around guilt on assumptions and not cold hard facts. thank goodness they will never be on my jury.
                          All I do is muck bins 24x7 x 365

Comment

Originally posted by MuckNBin View Post
                            On the original threads to this case, everyone said wait for the court case was the way to go. now it doesn't come out the way some hoped or expected and they still arent happy. BetterinLP and sirnubs are the USCHO Nancy Grace team.. No real knowledge of the case. Not in the courtroom. arm chair observers who throw around guilt on assumptions and not cold hard facts. thank goodness they will never be on my jury.
                            I was just voicing an opinion. I am sorry I didn't know that was allowed. Do not assume that I didn't study the facts of the case. I give great credit to the defense lawyer. He did his job better than the D.A. who was working the case.

Why are you so worried that I could be on your jury, Mucknbin? What crimes are you planning to commit?
                            Last edited by BetterInLakePlacid; 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM.
                            I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason.Auckland View Post
                              Article in Vancouver Sun

Britton told police McGlasson pushed the bike. McGlasson, whose trial is scheduled for August, hasn't given a statement to police.
                              I also don't have all the facts of the case, but it looks like both Stout players charged aren't totally out of the weeds yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X