Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact (if any) of the Men's WCHA Breakup on the Women's WCHA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact (if any) of the Men's WCHA Breakup on the Women's WCHA?

There has been a lot of talk about the impending breakup of the Men’s WCHA and reports are surfacing about lying and hard-feelings among the schools. Could this split affect the Women’s WCHA?

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Re: Impact (if any) of the Men's WCHA Breakup on the Women's WCHA?

I don't think so, at least not initially. With the few number of western programs the WCHA is really there only option as of now unless they go independent. If more potential programs become a reality then the potential for change may be there. Until then I think the pros of being in the WCHA out number the cons.
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
      I don't think so, at least not initially. With the few number of western programs the WCHA is really there only option as of now unless they go independent. If more potential programs become a reality then the potential for change may be there. Until then I think the pros of being in the WCHA out number the cons.
      I agree; I think that long term women’s teams will join the same leagues as the men’s teams, the same as Hockey East did. However, what got me was the 'hard-feelings' comment I read. When hard-feelings are involved sometimes we do things that are in our, or others, best interests. Is it possible for member schools to vote out other member schools? Just some thoughts I had reading some of the articles posted the past few days and I am interested in knowing others, especially WCHA fans, think.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I seriously hope the "realignment" which includes present WCHA programs for the men has no impact on the current WCHA as is for the women. Like blogger...I don't foresee any impact on the women's WCHA anytime soon. There's obviously many more league / conference options for the men due to the number of programs...geographic location etc. It's all seems like fallout from the planned "Big 10" conference to me. A situation (Big 10 Conference) which is vastly different per gender among Big 10 schools...and isn't realistic for the women IMO.

Until you add several programs on the women's side any change or potential realignment for the women doesn't make any sense IMO. If you had varsity programs for the women at say...CC, Denver, Omaha or the Michigan schools then you might have reason for consideration to changes to present day conference alignment. Which could mean it'll never be realistic...at least while I'm around to see it, given the likelihood of those mentioned above developing varsity programs for the women.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Brooky - I totally agree with you, gott'a be a 1st, ;>), - my concern is there going to be a WCHA left for any league play? Guess I just too old to like change.

Comment

I can't foresee any big changes. You won't get the Big 10 influence because there are only 4 teams with Penn State adding. If anything, it may open some opportunities for media attention. Minnesota and Wisconsin men's games will move to BTN which may open some time on Fox Sports. That can only help to grow the product.

Comment

Originally posted by taz91 View Post
              If anything, it may open some opportunities for media attention. Minnesota and Wisconsin men's games will move to BTN which may open some time on Fox Sports. That can only help to grow the product.
              ...or could that reduce the already minuscule BTN broadcast schedule / coverage for the women?
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by taz91 View Post
                I can't foresee any big changes. You won't get the Big 10 influence because there are only 4 teams with Penn State adding. If anything, it may open some opportunities for media attention. Minnesota and Wisconsin men's games will move to BTN which may open some time on Fox Sports. That can only help to grow the product.
                But BTN owns the broadcast rights to the women's hockey games, so I don't see games appearing on FSN or any other rival network.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
                  There is a recent precedent. CHA was formed in 99-00 as an all men's league with women joining in 02-03. Men's division folded in 09-10. Women's division still there with a good future.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    But BTN owns the broadcast rights to the women's hockey games, so I don't see games appearing on FSN or any other rival network.

I have Comcast cable and there were 2 WCHA womens games late last night on FSN college.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                      I have Comcast cable and there were 2 WCHA womens games late last night on FSN college.
                      You're right, I should have limited my comment to games held in Columbus, Madison, or Minneapolis. UND had some games live on last season as well (on the NHL network? don't remember for sure.)
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                        Have seen a women's game on both FSN and on the BTN before but both rare.

More then likely the WCHA and CCHA breakups will initially have no effect. In the longer term it is possible that a lack or an increase of funds will have an effect on the women's game. Example Mankato being in the left over league as some are describing it may fold the men's program. If so could they justify keeping the women's? Similar thoughts surround St Cloud.

It could add funds to the B1G teams maybe finally embarrassing UM and MSU to create a women's team.

Personally I understand the B1G creating the hockey conference for the BTN. What I do not fully understand or agree with is the WCHA breakup. The belief is they will garner the same funds that had in the past for the Frozen 5 etc but cut among less teams in the conference. Not sure that will be the case.

Comment

I think the North Dakota games were on the flavor of FSN originating in Grand Forks. In the Twin Cities that meant banishment to some locally obscure channel number. If I recall it was 263 on my converter box whereas regular FSN is 32 standard definition, 201 HD.
                          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

The breakup has started. The Detroit Free Press has reported that "Colorado College, Denver, reigning NCAA champion Minnesota-Duluth, Nebraska-Omaha and North Dakota will leave the Western Collegiate Hockey Association to create the new conference."

http://www.freep.com/article/2011071...ew-league-2013

Comment

The more I look at, it may be good for the remaining teams. Make them one conference and add in Alabama-Huntsville for 12 teams and make two six team divisions. It would probably be a lot better competition from top to bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X