Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WMU Coaching search 2011. Yeah, we're boned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WMU Coaching search 2011. Yeah, we're boned.

Originally posted by broncos24 View Post
    Rolston appears out.

Come on down Murray?
    I think you're probably right.

That is huge news for Western Michigan. Gotta say, albeit maybe selfish of me to say but I hope the NCHC tries to get WMU to join. They've really been showing how much commitment they have for their hockey program.

Comment

I'll admit I don't know anything about Andy Murray.

His lack of American college experience (recruiting) and his age (60) are huge red flags to me.

Can anyone fill me in on Murray?
      Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
      Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Brad Schlossman (@SchlossmanGF) tweeted: Expect Western Michigan to name Andy Murray as head coach tomorrow. And chn is now reporting the same...
        Pro: Coached at the highest level in hockey, and wasn't awful at it (little over .500, not much postseason success), so he can coach and tell a kid what it will take to make the NHL. I believe our current assistants are signed through this coming season, and hopefully they can cover any recruiting shortfalls from a guy who has never coached college hockey.

Cons: Never coached college hockey before. 60 years old- after the NHL, is this just a relaxing pre-retirement gig?
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I'll admit I don't know anything about Andy Murray.

His lack of American college experience (recruiting) and his age (60) are huge red flags to me.

Can anyone fill me in on Murray?
          I think you have good reason to be concerned. It's a big name but I'm not sure how he fits at college with his age. He did spend some time coaching Canadian National Hockey Team and Shattuck St Marys but other than that...I'm not sure why this is so great for Western.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I'm not sure why this is so great for Western.
            Because a former NHL Head Coach "wants" to be the head coach at Western?

That will make them a perennial powerhouse. Obviously. Since NMU has only been mediocre while being guided by a former NHL Assistant Coach.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Because a former NHL Head Coach "wants" to be the head coach at Western?

That will make them a perennial powerhouse. Obviously. Since NMU has only been mediocre while being guided by a former NHL Assistant Coach.
              It's not making me go WOW...that's for sure. I would think Rolston, Brekke or Bonnett would have been better choices.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Confirmed. http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s...dy_murray.html

Andy Murray is the new WMU coach.

After hearing that Ferschweiler and Facca will be retained and reading the '12-'13 commit's quote, I'm feeling a little bit better about the hire.
                Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Confirmed. http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s...dy_murray.html

Andy Murray is the new WMU coach.

After hearing that Ferschweiler and Facca will be retained and reading the '12-'13 commit's quote, I'm feeling a little bit better about the hire.
                  Huge hire. Hard to imagine they would get Murray if the plan was to play in the WCHA. Have to think that this is somehow tied to NCHC.

Congrats, big time coach who will lure players who want to play in the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Huge hire. Hard to imagine they would get Murray if the plan was to play in the WCHA. Have to think that this is somehow tied to NCHC.
                    Maybe you could explain your logic on this one DG because it escapes me. So please can you elaborate more?
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I suspect that the allusion was to the downturn in "appeal" that WMU would have had to the NCHC with the loss of Blashill...and now with the hiring of such a prominent head coach in Murray...the "appeal" has returned. The question is are we still tied to the coattails of Notre Dame for NCHC membership? Murray's hiring might make us very appealing to the NCHC without Notre Dame. Still much to go on in the future that will reveal itself whenever.

Comment

Originally posted by canada1 View Post
                        I suspect that the allusion was to the downturn in "appeal" that WMU would have had to the NCHC with the loss of Blashill...and now with the hiring of such a prominent head coach in Murray...the "appeal" has returned. The question is are we still tied to the coattails of Notre Dame for NCHC membership? Murray's hiring might make us very appealing to the NCHC without Notre Dame. Still much to go on in the future that will reveal itself whenever.
                        Ah ha so you're saying that any college, no matter who, could up its appeal to the bhhc should they pay a lot of money for the coach.?
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Ah ha so you're saying that any college, no matter who, could up its appeal to the bhhc should they pay a lot of money for the coach.?
                          The coach alone, certainly not. As we talked about via email, the next step for WMU to get into the NCHC is probably some assurance that they will get serious about either a new arena, or major renovations to Lawson. I just don't see what they have being acceptable to the grandiose vision of the new conference in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            The coach alone, certainly not. As we talked about via email, the next step for WMU to get into the NCHC is probably some assurance that they will get serious about either a new arena, or major renovations to Lawson. I just don't see what they have being acceptable to the grandiose vision of the new conference in the long term.
                            Their commitment to their program...err...budget.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              Their commitment to their program...err...budget.
                              The fact that Western is fully D1 helps in that regard. The oldest "barn" in the NCHC is going to be the CSprings World Arena (1995-ish?). I would think that a modern arena that seats a minimum of ~5000 would be a significant part of that, whether they get donations to build/renovate themselves, or start pulling the political strings needed to become major tenants of a new Kalamazoo arena.

Comment

*sigh.* Not excited about going into a second straight season of "wait and see" mode.
                                Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                                My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X