Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    College hockey is now the BCS's little b****. Football decisions will trickle down and affect hockey.
    good thing DU doesn't have a football team then..
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      good thing DU doesn't have a football team then..
      True.

DU has saved tens of millions since dropping football in 1960. Money that today keeps the hockey, skiing, lacrosse, gymnastics and women's golf as national D-I powers. But the lack of a football program is a heavy burden when looking for conference affiliation.

You can run a very competitive D-I athletic program for $20 million per year without football. Private schools like Rice, Tulane, Tulsa and others lose $5-7 million on football annually. Vanderbilt, Duke and Northwestern make profits thanks to massive BCS subsidies.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        True.

DU has saved tens of millions since dropping football in 1960. Money that today keeps the hockey, skiing, lacrosse, gymnastics and women's golf as national D-I powers. But the lack of a football program is a heavy burden when looking for conference affiliation.

You can run a very competitive D-I athletic program for $20 million per year without football. Private schools like Rice, Tulane, Tulsa and others lose $5-7 million on football annually. Vanderbilt, Duke and Northwestern make profits thanks to massive BCS subsidies.

Denver sounds like a good school for lesbians and other masculinely challenged types.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Denver sounds like a good school for lesbians and other masculinely challenged types.
          you have seen the video of certain goofer mens hockey players dancing around like girls haven't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
            True. Which is why I'm surprised you didn't apply there.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
              you have seen the video of certain goofer mens hockey players dancing around like girls haven't you?
              Were they as glamorous as Matt Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                McLeod may be a buffoon, I won't argue that, but this is the dumbest argument to prove it that I have heard. Who needs a ****ing contingency plan for "drive to Fairbanks and fly from there"?
                If it was that simple, you would think a competent person would have had that as option A for the contingency plan. My point was not that there were things that could be done (obviously there were) it was that the conference had no contingency plan. It shows a complete lack of leadership ability.

Originally posted by HarleyMC
                You mean "is" a buffoon, or did that change now that UND left. I assumed you would have more sense than to cite one weak example from a few years ago to completely malign Bruce McLeod's character and his several years of leadership as commissioner of one of the premier college hockey conferences in the NCAA. That's not only inappropriate, it's just plain stupid. [pointless name calling omitted]
                Because we're talking about a reason cited for an event that has already occurred, 'was' was the correct choice. The fact that he currently may or may not be a buffoon would not change why the previous event occurred.

If having zero leadership in a potential time of crisis is a weak example, then I'm curious what you consider a strong one. The WCHA succeeded due to the athletic departments of the schools in the conference, not Bruce McLeod.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  If it was that simple, you would think a competent person would have had that as option A for the contingency plan. My point was not that there were things that could be done (obviously there were) it was that the conference had no contingency plan. It shows a complete lack of leadership ability.
                  Explain to me how not having a contingency plan is Bruce McLeod's fault? Are the records of the WCHA members feeling its necessary to have such plans and want to spend money developing them? IF McLeod had spent money developing contingency plans for god knows what and DU & UND's playoff share checks were smaller than expected...he'd still be a buffoon in your eyes. I think this is a horse***** excuse for just wanting out for whatever stupid reason DU and UND want to come up with. The simple truth is Minnesota and Wisconsin left to associate with schools that they have a longer history with in every sphere except Hockey. Instead of stepping up and taking charge of the situation UND and DU ran away from their conference mates to create a new league without the guarantee of Notre Dame, a larger travel footprint, no real geographic center. Bravo on overreacting.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Explain to me how not having a contingency plan is Bruce McLeod's fault? Are the records of the WCHA members feeling its necessary to have such plans and want to spend money developing them? IF McLeod had spent money developing contingency plans for god knows what and DU & UND's playoff share checks were smaller than expected...he'd still be a buffoon in your eyes. I think this is a horse***** excuse for just wanting out for whatever stupid reason DU and UND want to come up with. The simple truth is Minnesota and Wisconsin left to associate with schools that they have a longer history with in every sphere except Hockey. Instead of stepping up and taking charge of the situation UND and DU ran away from their conference mates to create a new league without the guarantee of Notre Dame, a larger travel footprint, no real geographic center. Bravo on overreacting.
                    This post clearly showed the correct answer what happened to the WCHA. Kudos on a job well done.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      True. Which is why I'm surprised you didn't apply there.
                      I bet he applied, but didn't get in!
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Bruce McLeod was the commissioner/leader of the conference. As the leader of the conference, it is fair to expect contingency plans for different, foreseeable circumstances. When there is not a contingency plan in place, that shows a lack of leadership. Again, this was just one example that shows that McLeod was a poor leader(IMO, if you feel that not having contingency plans in place doesn't make a difference, then obviously this wouldn't worry you in the least). This is one of the reasons that the teams that split cited as why they left.

I will clarify again, I do not, nor did I ever, agree with the decision made by the schools that left. I do not fault Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State for wanting to associate in yet another sport. However, when there is a huge change in the landscape of college hockey, it is naive to think that other schools that have made huge investments in the sport will sit idly by (look at college football). I felt that the WCHA would have still been a top college hockey conference in the country, even without Wisconsin and Minnesota, and I hoped that my school would have stayed. It didn't happen, so at this point, I hope for nothing more than absolute success for all of college hockey as we move forward into uncharted territory.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Bruce McLeod was the commissioner/leader of the conference. As the leader of the conference, it is fair to expect contingency plans for different, foreseeable circumstances. When there is not a contingency plan in place, that shows a lack of leadership. Again, this was just one example that shows that McLeod was a poor leader(IMO, if you feel that not having contingency plans in place doesn't make a difference, then obviously this wouldn't worry you in the least). This is one of the reasons that the teams that split cited as why they left.
                          McLeod is not the president of the WCHA, he is the commissioner, he does what the members vote on him to do. Its not like he's a commissioner of a sports league like the NBA, NFL, MLB where he is more of a go between between the players, owners and fans. He's basically there to take care of business that he is told to do by the members. Do you really think if UND and DU went before the other ADs during a league meeting and said, "Minnesota and Wisconsin are leaving, if you don't want us to leave, we want Bruce McLeod fired" that the rest of the WCHA wouldn't have listened? It just seems stupid to me the way that the NCHC teams reacted. From everything that I have read, there was official indication to the rest of the WCHA that this was going to happen because they were "upset with McLeod" and the status quo. It seems like a very silly scapegoat excuse to me, not even close to the reality of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            I bet he applied, but didn't get in!

No, Denver is weak in the hard sciences. I am sure if all I wanted to do is ski, drink and watch women's golf it would have been a great school.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

SF23, there isn't anything you or anyone else can say to change the minds of people like SG. These arguements and the venom directed towards UND and DU are not based on logic, they are based on emotion.
                              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Bruce McLeod was commissioner when the two highest profile members [WI, MN] left the conference. It doesn't matter who's fault it was or why it happened. It happened on his watch and any business when a monumental event occurs you better implement a plan of action or your butt may get thrown in the fire.

DU, UND & Miami came up with a plan of action and UMD, CC and UNO bought in. Notre Dame is still sitting on the fence, waiting to see which way the BCS winds will blow.

If Notre Dame joins the Big Ten with Texas, its not the end of the world for the NCHC. If it were me, I'd hire Gino to be NCHC Commissioner and add St. Cloud as the 7th member. If Notre Dame remains independent in football, I've heard they'll join the NCHC. The problem with Notre Dame is they could always change their mind and join a BCS conference.

I like the idea of seven team conferences and having two extra weekends of non-conference foes.
                                Last edited by dggoddard; 09-09-2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X