Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Doubtful. What revenue is there to be shared in college hockey?

TV college hockey contracts are basically break-even or loss-leader propositions. The conference tournament revenue will in large part be used to fund the referees, travel and league office.

Notre Dame's TV Network is going to largely be internet based, so doubtful that will draw many eyeballs for college hockey.
    The funny part in all this all the high school hockey powers in the state of Minnesota get better ratings on FSN than almost every college program in the country.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

What you posted above is absurd. We're talking about college hockey, not hiring a good looking hooker.

You also need to get your facts straight. The Versus Network was mentioned a possible NCHC media outlet according to an article in the Duluth Times-Tribune.
      We all agree the Versus network will be showing every league including the LCHC on their network it will not be the LCHC alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        That is fine they will all be welcomed back on the Gopher bandwagon again. It happens all the time kid goes to MSU, St. Cloud, UMD etc. and they cheer for them when school is over and they come back to Mpls for a job they follow the Gophers again.
        Really? Because I don't know of any such instance where that happened. That must be why Mariucci is always so full.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

What you posted above is absurd. We're talking about college hockey, not hiring a good looking hooker.
          Absurd? How is that absurd? Any and all college athletics is about money, any sport needs to justify it's use of precious funding or, to quote, "No bucks, no Buck Rogers." and this is especially true at a school like Notre Dame, who just spent good money on a new arena they'll need to pay the upkeep on.

And the fact still remains, the NCHC needs a face for the conference. You need someone that brings fans, brings media attention, brings sponsors, gives recruits a reason to play there. And, quite frankly, North Dakota, Denver, Miami, Minnesota-Duluth, Colorado College, and Nebraska-Omaha don't exactly tick up the meters. Again, when you need a face, and at this point the NCHC is probably a bit desperate, it comes at a high cost

You also need to get your facts straight. The Versus Network was mentioned a possible NCHC media outlet according to an article in the Duluth Times-Tribune.
          Oh I had my facts straight. You see, Comcast owns 51% of NBC Universal, Comcast also owns Versus (not The Versus Network) which is now part of the NBC Sports division and on January 2nd will be named NBC Sports Network. Notre Dame is in the midst of a contract with NBC who *gasp* owns Versus!
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Absurd? How is that absurd? Any and all college athletics is about money, any sport needs to justify it's use of precious funding or, to quote, "No bucks, no Buck Rogers." and this is especially true at a school like Notre Dame, who just spent good money on a new arena they'll need to pay the upkeep on.
            Notre Dame is swimming in cash. According to Forbes, ND football kicks back $21 million to the school after funding the entire freaking athletic department.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/s...112007aag.html

Notre Dame didn't pay for the arena, donations from alumni built the arena.

Like many of the BCS powers, Notre Dame uses its football money to fund the rest of the Athletic Department. I doubt that ice hockey program has ever been self-sufficient. The new arena may help them break even, but either way, they don't need the money.

Here's a list of Nore Dame sports. Besides Men's Hoops & Football, the rest would bring in virtually no revenue.

Men's Sports

* Baseball
            * Basketball
            * Cross Country
            * Fencing
            * Football
            * Golf
            * Hockey
            * Lacrosse
            * Soccer
            * Swimming & Diving
            * Tennis
            * Track & Field

Women's Sports

* Basketball
            * Cross Country
            * Fencing
            * Golf
            * Lacrosse
            * Rowing
            * Soccer
            * Softball
            * Swimming & Diving
            * Tennis
            * Track & Field
            * Volleyball
            Last edited by dggoddard; 09-06-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Notre Dame is swimming in cash. According to Forbes, ND football kicks back $21 million to the school after funding the entire freaking athletic department.

Like many of the BCS powers, Notre Dame uses its football money to fund the rest of the Athletic Department. I doubt that ice hockey program has ever been self-sufficient.

Here's a list of Nore Dame sports. Besides Men's Hoops & Football, the rest would bring in virtually no revenue.
              And they see an opportunity to bring in more money or cut losses by going independent or fleecing some small time schools out of some cash and they're just gonna pass?

Get it through your head: Everything is about money. Nobody is going to turn down an opportunity to make money in college athletics. The NCHC has a need in Notre Dame and Notre Dame almost certainly sees an opportunity to make some cash on it or otherwise they would've joined in already.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The NCHC does not need a national face. Hockey is a niche sport. Casual sports fans are not going to tune in to a Michigan/Ohio St hockey game any more than a North Dakota/Denver game. A casual HOCKEY fan (who, let's face it, this sport needs to be marketed to before we can even think about casual sports fans) is going to tune in to the ND/DU game.

North Dakota and Denver are all the face the NCHC needs. If hockey ever becomes a truly national sport, then yes, Jimjamesak would be right, the NCHC would NEED Notre Dame. It's not, so they don't.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Alums probably get solicitation mail made to look like offering plates.

Remember your alma mater and, by the way, keep in mind you're gonna die some day.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    North Dakota and Denver are all the face the NCHC needs.

Comment

Notre Dame is swimming in cash.

The new arena may help them break even, but either way, they don't need the money.
                      That's why rich people stand on street corners to give their money away...they've already made enough and don't need to make more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        Really? Because I don't know of any such instance where that happened. That must be why Mariucci is always so full.
                        We only have two years? Right?

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          We only have two years? Right?
                          And by then Notre Dame will take football into the Big Ten Super Conference and hockey will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            The NCHC does not need a national face. Hockey is a niche sport. Casual sports fans are not going to tune in to a Michigan/Ohio St hockey game any more than a North Dakota/Denver game. A casual HOCKEY fan (who, let's face it, this sport needs to be marketed to before we can even think about casual sports fans) is going to tune in to the ND/DU game.
                            Before the BTN and the BTHC your statement would be correct, now all bets are off and we will see more casual fans watching the Big Ten. I guarantee we will see Big Ten hockey viewership go up after the Big Ten forms hockey. I am not saying we are going to see a huge increase but places like Illinois, Indiana etc. are more likely to waste a night watching hockey because there is nothing else on television than they might have before because the games were not on television. I have even caught my self watching LAX on the BTN between bites or cleaning the garage while it is on. IMO, we will not see much of a change for at least 7 to 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              And by then Notre Dame will take football into the Big Ten Super Conference and hockey will follow.
                              With all this recent conference change I wouldn't be suprised.

Comment

Actually, the biggest donor has no ties whatsoever to the University. Just a college sports fan, who, IIRC, also donated to Duke or Georgetown or somewhere without having any ties whatsoever to that school.

I'll now let all of you get back to that dead horse so you can continue the flogging...
                                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Working...
                                X