Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Considering the invites came after the AHA/CCHA meetings, I don't think the WCHA had much choice.
    If they don't invite them those programs have nowhere to go and fold.
    Why is that the WCHA's problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
      Most of the venom is because if it is even remotely true that SCSU is a possible NCHC candidate of the future, then the whole idea of making the conference is confirmed as plain stupid(I would've been fine if UND remained in the WCHA). Why go and make a conference then to just invite a school that you initially tried to separate yourself from? However, it is granted there are some that just plain think SCSU is a second-rate school and don't want any association. Hockey or otherwise.

However, I am amused if you are trying insinuate that UND is obsessed about SCSU. Does Jan think she's Marcia now?
      The entire league was a stupid idea whether SCSU was in it or not.
      There won't be a big uptick in recruiting, there won't be one in money or exposure.
      These schools simply do not have the name recognition with non hockey fans to draw any sort of audience and the hockey fans were going to be watching anyway if the games were on.
      Any "benefit" I've seen mentioned has been conjecture from fans, most of whom already thought of their schools as superior to begin with.
      The whole league was an unnecessary reaction to the Big Ten.
      And no, we aren't Marcia, we're St. Cloud, a D2 central Minnesota school with no national recognition or name to speak of and that's just fine by me.
      However, your fans seem to spew a whole lot of venom our way be it for the nickname or whatever else.
      I do think it's funny how many people blame us for the nickname.
      You really think St. Cloud has that kind of clout?

Priceless, I never said it was the WCHA's problem, just that it was the WCHA's reaction to nothing coming out of the AHA/CCHA talks.
      They did what they felt they had to do, if they all accept, then we need a 12th.
      Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 09-05-2011, 05:21 PM.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

The entire league was a stupid idea whether SCSU was in it or not.
        There won't be a big uptick in recruiting, there won't be one in money or exposure.
        These schools simply do not have the name recognition with non hockey fans to draw any sort of audience and the hockey fans were going to be watching anyway if the games were on.
        Any "benefit" I've seen mentioned has been conjecture from fans, most of whom already thought of their schools as superior to begin with.
        The whole league was an unnecessary reaction to the Big Ten.
        And no, we aren't Marcia, we're St. Cloud, a D2 central Minnesota school with no national recognition or name to speak of and that's just fine by me.
        However, your fans seem to spew a whole lot of venom our way be it for the nickname or whatever else.
        I do think it's funny how many people blame us for the nickname.
        You really think St. Cloud has that kind of clout?
        What I put in bold is how I pretty much see it. Maybe the NCHC school's are sitting on info that we aren't seeing but yeah, conjecture is how I see it and it'll remain conjecture until the NCHC officially begins conference play.

As for the nickname bit, I didn't really follow much of it other than I do remember hearing about some 3 or 5 people protesting at SCSU/UND games in St. Cloud. In the scheme of things, St. Cloud had very little impact on the NCAA going after school's with Native American team names. Ah well.

Comment

Priceless, I never said it was the WCHA's problem, just that it was the WCHA's reaction to nothing coming out of the AHA/CCHA talks.
          They did what they felt they had to do, if they all accept, then we need a 12th.
          What I was getting at is that the WCHA was under no obligation to invite those schools; it is probably a detriment to them. They are likely to be a 1-bid league whether those programs fold or not; whether it's a 12 or 16 team tournament. So it would be nothing to them if those schools hung up the skates.

And yet, they did what NO ONE else has done in this entire debacle: they did what was best for the whole sport, not just their own short-sighted purposes. For that the schools that make up the "new" WCHA should be commended. If karma exists they have a mountain of it on their side now.

The LTHC can get a little positive karma by inviting UAH...but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            What I was getting at is that the WCHA was under no obligation to invite those schools; it is probably a detriment to them. They are likely to be a 1-bid league whether those programs fold or not; whether it's a 12 or 16 team tournament. So it would be nothing to them if those schools hung up the skates.

And yet, they did what NO ONE else has done in this entire debacle: they did what was best for the whole sport, not just their own short-sighted purposes. For that the schools that make up the "new" WCHA should be commended. If karma exists they have a mountain of it on their side now.

The LTHC can get a little positive karma by inviting UAH...but I'm not going to hold my breath.
            I don't think they'll be a one bid league, I think they'll be like the ECAC to start with, most years getting 2 bids.
            I don't think the league will be as weak as some may think and I don't see the B1G & NCHC dominating either.

Someone has to be the bottom and unless they are going 10-1 in NC play, I don't think they will get more than 3 teams above .500.
            Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Either way it's a 28 game schedule.
              Considering the invites came after the AHA/CCHA meetings, I don't think the WCHA had much choice.
              If they don't invite them those programs have nowhere to go and fold.
              I think they are also waiting to hear from Moorhead before hopefully extending an invite to UAH.
              Yes it is a 28 game schedule, but with 8 teams everybody goes to alaska twice and get four extra games. with a 12 team league a team only goes once and hence only get s 2 extra games. In this day and age a team getting four extra games every year is sure a nice thing to say to a recruit and nice advantage to have. Is it the end of the world? no, but it would have been nice.
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                Also, I've already talked to several season-ticket holders who say that when the WCHA becomes a de-facto D-II conference, they will no longer be interested.
                That is fine they will all be welcomed back on the Gopher bandwagon again. It happens all the time kid goes to MSU, St. Cloud, UMD etc. and they cheer for them when school is over and they come back to Mpls for a job they follow the Gophers again.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                  Yes it is a 28 game schedule, but with 8 teams everybody goes to alaska twice and get four extra games. with a 12 team league a team only goes once and hence only get s 2 extra games. In this day and age a team getting four extra games every year is sure a nice thing to say to a recruit and nice advantage to have. Is it the end of the world? no, but it would have been nice.
                  Well after WMU and BGSU decide they aren't coming to the WCHA (crossing fingers) and SCSU get's snatched up by the Butt Hurts (double finger crossing), how many teams will the WCHA have? I think I count 8. Then the WCHA can add Huntsville.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                    Despite that, I still see the future recruiting battle ground as follows which obviously speaks volumes to why all this happened in the first place.

1 Big Ten / Hockey East
                    3 NCHC
                    4 WCHA
                    5 ECAC / Atlantic

Then, the recruiting battleground will establish a new standard with the winning programs that result from these new affiliations.
                    Also all the new under .500 teams will struggle to keep up with the recruiting battle.
                    I don't believe Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State or even Ohio State ever battle for the same recruits as the Big East. I only see Penn State duking it out with the Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      Well after WMU and BGSU decide they aren't coming to the WCHA (crossing fingers) and SCSU get's snatched up by the Butt Hurts (double finger crossing), how many teams will the WCHA have? I think I count 8. Then the WCHA can add Huntsville.
                      They are going to add MSU-Moorhead before Huntsville.

Comment

The problem SCSU has is if they were invited and don't go you know as well as me another WCHA team would go if asked. If Notre Dame says no and they need to add two teams I am pretty sure they are getting the two teams from the WCHA. I don't like what DU and UND started, but at some point you have to fend for your self or get stomped on. OF course I expect Notre Dame to join and thent he WCHA will be stuck with 11 or 12 teams, which in my opinion sucks.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                          The problem SCSU has is if they were invited and don't go you know as well as me another WCHA team would go if asked. If Notre Dame says no and they need to add two teams I am pretty sure they are getting the two teams from the WCHA. I don't like what DU and UND started, but at some point you have to fend for your self or get stomped on. OF course I expect Notre Dame to join and thent he WCHA will be stuck with 11 or 12 teams, which in my opinion sucks.
                          Yeah, I wasn't a fan of inviting all those CCHA teams. And you are correct 8 would have been the best number. The Butt Hurts were stupid not to invite the Alaska schools. Plain and simple. But I suspect most of their Butthurtitude stemmed from coaching staffs that were sick of the travel to Anchorage every year (without giving a moments consideration to the financial benefits of doing so) ... as well of course, as being sick of not getting their way in conference member votes on various issues. They could have actually had some measurable benefits from their choice to form a conference. Now they have nothing but speculation and bluster as benefits.

Perhaps some of the fans of those Butt Hurt schools should be asking their administrations where exactly they'll be replacing the lost revenue from two extra home games a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            Yeah, I wasn't a fan of inviting all those CCHA teams. And you are correct 8 would have been the best number. The Butt Hurts were stupid not to invite the Alaska schools. Plain and simple. But I suspect most of their Butthurtitude stemmed from coaching staffs that were sick of the travel to Anchorage every year (without giving a moments consideration to the financial benefits of doing so) ... as well of course, as being sick of not getting their way in conference member votes on various issues. They could have actually had some measurable benefits from their choice to form a conference. Now they have nothing but speculation and bluster as benefits.

Perhaps some of the fans of those Butt Hurt schools should be asking their administrations where exactly they'll be replacing the lost revenue from two extra home games a year.
                            The ability schedule more nonconference home games to begin with?
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Exactly. Why wouldn't they want to go to Alaska? The one big complaint about college hockey is to few games and then you make a new confernece and don't invite at least one Alaska school. That is just plain stupid....

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                The ability schedule more nonconference home games to begin with?
                                Not if you have 8 teams. Isn't that the hold up with notre Dame not joining? They want a seven team league and the NCHC wants a eight team league? A 8 team league has 28 game conference schedule and without a Alaska team that means a 34 game season schedule. They get 36 games now every year they play in Alaska.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Working...
                                X