Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Not prior to July 13, according to CC AD Ken Ralph:
    He's just a school AD, not the league's PR Director.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      He's just a school AD, not the league's PR Director.
      Right. I think an AD is a fairly trustworthy source, and secondly Colorado Springs is being considered as the new league headquarters. I think I'd trust his opinion over yours. Where did you get your information?

EDIT: Here's another trustworthy source by UND's Brad Schlossman dated July 13, stating:

Boston College and Boston University were not invited, although they would fit the bill of the programs that are in this league
      Interest may have been gauged, but it appears no formal offer was even made.

Comment

Right. I think an AD is a fairly trustworthy source, and secondly Colorado Springs is being considered as the new league headquarters. I think I'd trust his opinion over yours. Where did you get your information?

EDIT: Here's another trustworthy source by UND's Brad Schlossman dated July 13, stating:

Interest may have been gauged, but it appears no formal offer was even made.
        I get my information from the league's PR Director: dgoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I get my information from the league's PR Director: dgoddard
          Ah...ha, I thought so. He's about as accurate as a blind man in a whorehouse.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            Close. It's going to be up to Brian Kelly.
            He's about as powerful as the Pope in South Bend.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

The Fighting Sioux BILL drafted by the North Dakota State Legislature and signed by the North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple earlier this year requiring mandatory use of the the logo and moniker goes into effect today (August 1). It is now a violation of ND state law for the University of North Dakota to retire their nickname. The FSB clearly renders juristic powers to the ND attorney general to consider filing an anti-trust suit against the NCAA if they require UND to retire the nickname:

The Fighting Sioux bill states University of North Dakota athletic teams shall be known as the Fighting Sioux. Neither UND nor the state Board of Higher Education may take action to discontinue the use of the nickname or logo. It requires the attorney general to consider filing a federal antitrust claim against the NCAA if the association takes any action to penalize UND for using the nickname and logo.
              The NCAA is a voluntary member association that promulgates its own regulations and guidelines. Any member school that does not align itself with those policies and regulations may be subject to imposed sanctions. The NCAA has consistently reiterated its stance that UND must retire the nickname by August 15 or suffer postseason restrictions and sanctions. As I mentioned before, August 12 is the date for the "highnoon showdown" between ND state officials and the NCAA, which is another in a long line of member protests against the NCAA that have historically favored the NCAA's ruling on issues of this nature. This could get ugly and the NCHC members are most likely watching this with keen interest to see how the ND state officials handle this delicate, controversial and emotionally volatile issue.

Adding further complications to the issue is the LETTER sent in June 2011 by Big Sky Pres. Doug Fullerton to Robert Kelley, indicating that if UND does not retire the name, most likely the presidents of the schools in the Big Sky Conference will vote to give UND the boot.

Comment

The Fighting Sioux BILL drafted by the North Dakota State Legislature and signed by the North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple earlier this year requiring mandatory use of the the logo and moniker goes into effect today (August 1). It is now a violation of ND state law for the University of North Dakota to retire their nickname. The FSB clearly renders juristic powers to the ND attorney general to consider filing an anti-trust suit against the NCAA if they require UND to retire the nickname:

The NCAA is a voluntary member association that promulgates its own regulations and guidelines. Any member school that does not align itself with those policies and regulations may be subject to imposed sanctions. The NCAA has consistently reiterated its stance that UND must retire the nickname by August 15 or suffer postseason restrictions and sanctions. As I mentioned before, August 12 is the date for the "highnoon showdown" between ND state officials and the NCAA, which is another in a long line of member protests against the NCAA that have historically favored the NCAA's ruling on issues of this nature. This could get ugly and the NCHC members are most likely watching this with keen interest to see how the ND state officials handle this delicate, controversial and emotionally volatile issue.

Adding further complications to the issue is the LETTER sent in June 2011 by Big Sky Pres. Doug Fullerton to Robert Kelley, indicating that if UND does not retire the name, most likely the presidents of the schools in the Big Sky Conference will vote to give UND the boot.
                I fear you may be right. As to the NCHA schools, they are certainly aware of this "problem." Even the UNO coach may have some understanding. As to the Big Sky, it would just be so wrong for them to boot the Sioux out of their second rate conference over this "controversy." And it would be equally wrong to retire one of the great nicknames in college sports because of political correctness and the incomprehensible desire of a tiny band of Indians to screw their state's flagship university. A university which probably does more than any other to help the native people of its state.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 08-01-2011, 02:15 AM.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                  I fear you may be right. As to the NCHA schools, they are certainly aware of this "problem." Even the UNO coach may have some understanding. As to the Big Sky, it would just be so wrong for them to boot the Sioux out of their second rate conference over this "controversy." And it would be equally wrong to retire one of the great nicknames in college sports because of political correctness and the incomprehensible desire of a tiny band of Indians to screw their state's flagship university. A university which probably does more than any other to help the native people of its state.
                  IMHO, it's unfortunate that the knuckle draggers in the ND state legislature dropped the ball and passed a bill, instead of using the overwhelming email response that favored keeping the name to adopt a referendum and initiate a statewide vote. That would carry much more authority as a substantially valid voice of the people of North Dakota than attempting to intimidate the NCAA by passing the FSB. Now ND is faced with the ironic reality of a sending a group of lily-white politicians (apparently Governor Dalrymple will lead the delegation) and higher ed officials to Indianapolis to meet with NCAA officials to decide what does and does not insult Native American tribes, of which neither (Spirit Lake or Standing Rock) was even invited to the meeting. This is both comical and pathetic.

Comment

IMHO, it's unfortunate that the knuckle draggers in the ND state legislature dropped the ball and passed a bill, instead of using the overwhelming email response that favored keeping the name to adopt a referendum and initiate a statewide vote. That would carry much more authority as a substantially valid voice of the people of North Dakota than attempting to intimidate the NCAA by passing the FSB. Now ND is faced with the ironic reality of a sending a group of lily-white politicians (apparently Governor Dalrymple will lead the delegation) and higher ed officials to Indianapolis to meet with NCAA officials to decide what does and does not insult Native American tribes, of which neither (Spirit Lake or Standing Rock) was even invited to the meeting. This is both comical and pathetic.
                    Got it. The more fundamental question to me is: even if Native American tribes are "insulted," how does that override the First Amendment, and what business is it of the NC$$ anyway? I should think they would have other, more pressing matters, to attend to: Auburn, Ohio State, LSU, USC etc, etc. Evidently not.
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 08-01-2011, 03:34 AM.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Got it. The more fundamental question to me is: even if Native American tribes are "insulted," how does that override the First Amendment, and what business is it of the NC$$ anyway? I should think they would have other, more pressing matters, to attend to: Auburn, Ohio State, LSU, USC etc, etc. Evidently not.
                      No and it's important to understand that this is all water over the bridge for the most part. Personally if we all had your attitude, women would still not have the vote and we would still be dealing with white only bathrooms.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        No and it's important to understand that this is all water over the bridge for the most part. Personally if we all had your attitude, women would still not have the vote and we would still be dealing with white only bathrooms.
                        what are your feelings on the people of Standing Rock not being able to vote?
                        Last edited by willythekid; 08-01-2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

So if they just stop using the nickname is someone going to jail?

In the next couple of weeks the state officials will apparently take one last effort at changing the NCAA's mind, and when unsuccessful, UND will go ahead and retire the name. A lot of commotion about nothing.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Amusing that you call the Big Sky a second rate conference. If, by that, you mean that they are a member of what was called D1-AA, then instead of one a, indeed, it is a second A in the old reference.

But I suspect that you have no clue that the Big Sky won the FCS championship last year via Eastern Washington, and was runner up in the FCS championship in the two years prior in Montana. Being that UND probably joined the Big Sky for football, they are far from a second rate conference.

Then again, since you think it's ok to insult a group of people as long as the majority think it's ok, well.....

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              Amusing that you call the Big Sky a second rate conference. If, by that, you mean that they are a member of what was called D1-AA, then instead of one a, indeed, it is a second A in the old reference.

But I suspect that you have no clue that the Big Sky won the FCS championship last year via Eastern Washington, and was runner up in the FCS championship in the two years prior in Montana. Being that UND probably joined the Big Sky for football, they are far from a second rate conference.

Then again, since you think it's ok to insult a group of people as long as the majority think it's ok, well.....
                              We're talking about WORDS here, WORDS are protected. If someone wanted to create a university and nickname their athletic team the coons, its not YOUR problem. Just like the NCAA shouldn't give a crap what nickname a member institution chooses to use. A bunch of crusty white people in INDIANapolis, INDIANa should not be in the business of deciding what is hostile & abusive and deciding to force member institutions to change their nickname.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The NCAA is the organization that went after programs whose media guides were too big! There is nothing too trivial for the No Clue At All to pursue. Just be glad that this small interest group of "insulted" tribes has made no headway in professional sports where there is the money and the will to oppose them. When the Cleveland, Kansas City, Atlanta, and Washington start changing their nicknames and logos we'll know we have a genuine movement on our hands. Without NCAA support none of this happens. Without the support of the schools who allows their members to be bullied into abandoning their time-honored traditions, the NCAA doesn't happen. If the Big Six conferences ever decide to govern themselves the environment will change drastically.
                                Michigan State University Spartans
                                NCAA Champions - 1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X