Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Exactly...if anything, I would have thought the Midwestern values of programs like North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth would have prevented this from happening. I was wrong and that's the biggest reason I blame UND more than anyone else for the formation of the NCHC. DU, CC and UNO are outliers so to them the travel really isn't a big deal.
    Wait a minute here ... North Dakota is a desolate, isolated place, it's an "outlier", or at least that's the spin here.
    If DU, CC, and UNO get the "outliers" pass so should North Dakota, or the spin should stop.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Wait a minute here ... North Dakota is a desolate, isolated place, it's an "outlier", or at least that's the spin here.
      If DU, CC, and UNO get the "outliers" pass so should North Dakota, or the spin should stop.
      North Dakota is a lot closer to the Minnesota schools than the rest. Travel costs don't really change for DU, CC and UNO whether they are in the NCHC or not. The state might be desolate, isolated and an outlier overall but Grand Forks is a stones throw (or a flood river canoe ride) from Minnesota.

Don't tell me what my opinion of your school should be!
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I said this on Twitter and will expand on it here:

Maybe its sentimentality or regional pride, but I think loyalty means more here in New England than in other parts of the country. BC and BU are not going to desert Providence and Northeastern after they took the chance to form a new league in 1983. Teams out west may value other things more and make moves to match their values...New England isn't like that. I like Hockey East the way it is. We don't need to be adding teams from Indiana or telling schools like UMA, UVM to get lost. In the end HEA may add Notre Dame just because the brand would strengthen the league, but it would really surprise me. I think (hope) that we're immune to the "me first" mentality that seems to have infected so many schools.
        Anyone who thinks that BC and likely BU weren't in serious conversations with the NCHC is crazy. Who knows how far the conversations progressed or who pulled the plug on the deal (ADs, Prezs), but these schools were in the mix for a considerable length of time.
        Last edited by dggoddard; 07-29-2011, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          Anyone who thinks that BC and likely BU weren't in conversations with the NCHC is crazy. Who knows how far the conversations progressed or who pulled the plug on the deal (ADs, Prezs), but these schools were in the mix for a considerable length of time.
          They may have been, and it has already been published that both declined offers, but I would doubt that either was seriously considering the move. First, neither would make the move without the other. Second, I cannot fathom Jack or Jerry liking the move at all. Airplane travel nearly every weekend would probably end up forcing both into early retirement. Not to mention losing games against many traditional rivals. Third, I have difficulty believing either AD would want the astronomical increase in travel costs on their budget to play against a level of competition that's more or less equal to what they already play in HE. BC already spends enough on ACC travel as it is. There may have been some preliminary discussions, but I don't believe this materialized into anything serious.
          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
            They may have been, and it has already been published that both declined offers, but I would doubt that either was seriously considering the move. First, neither would make the move without the other. Second, I cannot fathom Jack or Jerry liking the move at all. Airplane travel nearly every weekend would probably end up forcing both into early retirement. Not to mention losing games against many traditional rivals. Third, I have difficulty believing either AD would want the astronomical increase in travel costs on their budget to play against a level of competition that's more or less equal to what they already play in HE. BC already spends enough on ACC travel as it is. There may have been some preliminary discussions, but I don't believe this materialized into anything serious.
            Thats why were now suggesting the new 3rd option for notre dame is to create their own conference with Western and the "Big 4" of Hockey East. It makes more sense for travel. BC and BU can keep playing many of the left behind schools in NC and take 2 flights a year to ND and WMU.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Anyone who thinks that BC and likely BU weren't in conversations with the NCHC is crazy. Who knows how far the conversations progressed or who pulled the plug on the deal (ADs, Prezs), but these schools were in the mix for a considerable length of time.
              You could very well be right. Of course the conversation could have been "DU AD: We're forming a new conference, want to join?" "Jack Parker: Pound sand"

Sure they were in talks, but who is to say anyone in Boston took them seriously?

I don't consider it drinking Kool-aid. This is thought out. BC may have gone to the ACC in other sports, but GDF doesn't realize BC even has a hockey team. Odds are 50/50 that he would defer to York on this matter. OTOH, if ND waves greenbacks in his face he might turn a deaf ear to York. Maine and UNH are just along for the ride here and aren't really the power brokers. That leaves BU. They have no football team to muck things up. Who has the power on the BU campus? Jack Parker. No way he abandons the founding members of Hockey East. No BU, BC won't go. Maine and UNH stay put and the whole thing falls apart.

ND is bound for the LTHC anyway, so this is all moot.

Comment

Maybe its sentimentality or regional pride, but I think loyalty means more here in New England than in other parts of the country. BC and BU are not going to desert Providence and Northeastern after they took the chance to form a new league in 1983. ...
                WCHA founding members 1959:
                Colorado College, University of Denver, University of Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, University of Minnesota, University of North Dakota.

Tell me again who has loyalty to their league?
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                  Six flights a year is not "nearly every weekend" or "astronomical costs" that could likely be offset by additional playoff revenue.

BC took two flights last year to Denver & Notre Dame.
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 07-29-2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Thats why were now suggesting the new 3rd option for notre dame is to create their own conference with Western and the "Big 4" of Hockey East. It makes more sense for travel. BC and BU can keep playing many of the left behind schools in NC and take 2 flights a year to ND and WMU.
                    No way are BC and BU going to leave. Seriously what school in HE doesn't have top notch facilities or is at least trying to elevate their program. I mean besides Providence every school in HE has shown a willingness to upgrade their program and make it nationally competitive. Even little Merrimack is showing a serious commitment to its team.

I am going to go out there and say that in most years HE will be on par if not better than the B10 and the Super League. The only thing HE might do is add two more teams as to open up more NC games on the schedule. Beside that though no reason to mess with the league. As far as speculation about BU and BC where serious about leaving I doubt it. Unless you have some inside information or something those two schools really had no reason to leave:

Travel Costs: Would go up alot
                    Competition: HE will be on par with the other leagues
                    TV Revenue: This is hockey I really doubt it would increase
                    Play off revenue: This might go down actually since there would be less visiting fans for series and less visiting fans at conference final site
                    alumni/fan experience: Yes this matters to the schools since they are the ones who make the donations to the teams. The fans and alumni of teams would much rather have conference games be nearby so that they could actually travel to most of the games if they choose to. The occasional trip out west is fun but they would much prefer being able to drive out to a game thats only a few hours away by car not by plane.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                      Seriously what school in HE doesn't have top notch facilities or is at least trying to elevate their program.

Merrimack
                      Maine
                      Northeastern
                      Vermont
                      Providence
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 07-29-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Merrimack
                        Maine
                        Northeastern
                        Vermont
                        Providence
                        Are you serious? Maine is going through a multimillion dollar renovation and the arena is recognized as one of the best experiences in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          WCHA founding members 1959:
                          Colorado College, University of Denver, University of Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, University of Minnesota, University of North Dakota.

Tell me again who has loyalty to their league?
                          How many of those teams are in New England?

Comment

Are you serious? Maine is going through a multimillion dollar renovation and the arena is recognized as one of the best experiences in the country.
                            The baked potatoes are good but you would be hard pressed to call that dump a top-notch facility.

When you have to repeatedly stop the game and have all the players come out and skate in circles to clear the fog off the ice....
                            Last edited by dggoddard; 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              These moves are about money.
                              Show me. Where is "the money"? Where's it going to be?

The BHHC teams will be limited to a 34 game schedule. Where is all the extra money? No more extra games for UND which means LOSING minimum revenue of $400,000 a year. Big slices of the NCAA playoff pie? 472 more people showing up to watch "Super League Ultra-Talent (SLUT)" in the Magness versus how many showed up when SCSU came to town? Where is this magic money going to come from?

Face it ... it's been hashed and rehashed in this thread and others and there is no real money in it. This has nothing to do with money and everything to do with "aspirations". The AD's at the BHHC schools talked themselves and each other into this in the name of hope. It's a cultural attempt to separate themselves from schools that they perceive are somehow lesser. And even that perception is flawed when you note that UAF had the 2nd biggest budget in the CCHA last year. When you fools talk about "commitment to hockey" that's some pretty clear evidence they are committed.

Just stop with the faux-justifications. They're tiring.

Comment

The baked potatoes are good but you would be hard pressed to call that dump a top-notch facility.

When you have to repeatedly stop the game and have all the players come out and skate in circles to clear the fog off the ice....
                                You may have us confused with BC.

Comment

Working...
                                X