Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
    UAA and UAF subsidize the travel to Alaska for their conference members, not the WCHA and CCHA. As long as the Alaska schools continue to do so, traveling to Alaska isn't a budget-breaker for their fellow schools. I do believe the arrangement that UAA has with the WCHA is a bit different than the one UAF has with the CCHA. But they both subsidize travel.
    Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    My 12th hand understanding is that the two schools purchase a set amount of tickets to their conference mates, somewhere between 20 and 25, and if you wanted to bring a bunch of reserves in addition to 20-21 skaters/coaches/trainer, the visiting school had to buy them themselves.
    Thanks for the info, I've always known that flights were "subsidized" but never knew by whom and what the particulars were.

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Lets just say that if Gwozdecky & Enrico were any closer, they'd be married.
    Interesting that DU, CC, and Miami are all connected by coaches and UND, UNO, and UMD are all connected by coaches. I'm starting to think this league was hashed out during a drunken game of cards in Dean Blais' cabin.
    University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
    2007 Alumni
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1984, 1985, 1993
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1984, 1985, 2009
    NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1993, 2004, 2009, 2011
    Frozen Four Appearances: 1984, 1985, 2004, 2011
    National Champions: 2011

Comment

Lets just say that if Gwozdecky & Enrico were any closer, they'd be married.
      No...quit joking around.

OK...I can understand that Gwoz 'likes' Enrico. But how does that move possibly serve DU...as in the school, its students, its fans and the conference? Seems like a pretty selfish move...no?
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        No...quit joking around.

OK...I can understand that Gwoz 'likes' Enrico. But how does that move possibly serve DU...as in the school, its students, its fans and the conference? Seems like a pretty selfish move...no?
        That whole conference is based on a bunch of people making selfish decisions is it not?
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          No...quit joking around.

If you don't think that Miami is an "elite" hockey program, then you just don't get it. Great school, great arena, great coach, great recruiting & great program.

Comment

If you don't think that Miami is an "elite" hockey program, then you just don't get it. Great school, great arena, great coach, great recruiting & great program.
            small arena, no traveling fanbase...I take it you expect Magness to be packed for Miami@DU 2013?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              small arena, no traveling fanbase...I take it you expect Magness to be packed for Miami@DU 2013?
              I'm being serious here Shirtless. dg, How was attendance with Mankato, Tech, SCSU, Duluth, BSU and Anchorage?
              "My greatest achievement."
              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Traveling fanbases are not important in a league where teams fly to games and a vast mast majority of the arenas will sell out.

Miami's arena is beautiful. If its small thats not much of an issue.

Magness sells out for elite opponents.

Miami also has a ton of alumni in Chicago which will come in handy if Notre Dame joins the conference. Obviously a lot of the initial success of the conference hinges on landing Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                  I'm being serious here Shirtless. dg, How was attendance with Mankato, Tech, SCSU, Duluth, BSU and Anchorage?
                  The Saturday game against UAA was actually very good (6,000), but most of the other games were 1,000 short of capacity and suffered significant "no shows."

I think three things encouraged the Athletic Department make the move to the new conference. The success of the Lacrosse program, poor attendance against the schools you mentioned and the move to the WAC. DU wants to be a player in the Denver collegiate sports scene.
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMDSimmerdown View Post
                    Who is going to subsidize them though? The WCHA won't have as much money in the coffer once the changes take place. Do UAA or UAF have extra money to fly the other schools out to them? I guess I've never understood the travel arrangements of the Alaska schools. Anyone have inside info as to how it all works? To be honest when all the realignment talks came up and everyone though BGSU and Ferris would be on the chopping block I though the two Alaska schools were the most likely candidates because you need big conferences with big money to absorb the travel costs.
                    So when UAA fans for years and years explained the travel subsidy in weekly game threads, team season threads and etc .... you were reading "the WCHA pays for travel to Alaska"?

^^^^^ Reason #17 for good riddance to NCHC programs -- Fan Ignorance ^^^^^

Comment

I for one will sure miss all of the incredible insight from alaska fans...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        I for one will sure miss all of the incredible insight from alaska fans...
                        I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Comment

The Saturday game against UAA was actually very good (6,000), but most of the other games were 1,000 short of capacity and suffered significant "no shows."
                          I do have to say that UAA had 11,000 plus showing in GF, but here it's going to be any team.
                          "My greatest achievement."
                          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

We'll be keeping a keen eye on the blockbuster games such as:

UMD vs UNO
                            CC vs UNO
                            CC vs UMD
                            Denver vs Miami
                            Denver vs UNO

And, if somehow Western gets into the league (the odds are better now with hired gun Murray), can you imagine the excitement running throughout the west when UMD plays Western, CC vs Western, UNO vs Western -oh boy!
                            "Zero Manipulation"

Comment

• Originally posted by Montelena View Post
                              We'll be keeping a keen eye on the blockbuster games such as:

UMD vs UNO
                              CC vs UNO
                              CC vs UMD
                              Denver vs Miami
                              Denver vs UNO

And, if somehow Western gets into the league (the odds are better now with hired gun Murray), can you imagine the excitement running throughout the west when UMD plays Western, CC vs Western, UNO vs Western -oh boy!
                              Versus is getting moist just thinking about the ratings bonanza!
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

You must have mistaken all of their participation banners as some type of actual worthwhile achievement. Unless being involved in one of the greatest choke jobs in recent history is now required for being an elite program, but I thought that only applied to the Gopher program of the 80s and 90s and the UND program under Hackstol.

Comment

Working...
                                X