Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Very true. From our vantage point, exwcha teams are important. Likewise, I'm sure Farleigh Dickenson is a big school in basketball if you happen to live in town. That doesn't mean that even ardent basketball fans in LA are going to watch that school.

Frankly from a national point of view University of Minnesota is no more important to much of the country than the University of South Carolina. Other schools...are pretty much...who?
    The Big10 Network disagrees.

That's the thing- and I'm not super happy in this money play, but the B10 is golden- they have it all- FB, BB, and can leverage that for hockey coverage. More casuals will watch Wisconsin over Denver, Minnesota over North Dakota, or Ohio State over Miami (OH).

Even then, of ALL of the NCHC, Miami is being included for money, as they are, by far, the largest athletic program in the NCHC. Which, sadly, isn't saying a lot. Not close to the biggest hockey school, but I see the ticker on Saturday afternoon say "Miami (OH)" more than "Denver". Well, I'll be fair and make it "North Dakota".

Get ND, and the NCHC is golden, without a doubt.

It would be REALLY cool if the NCHC can raise themselves to be significant, which would mean college hockey is significant. And I full HOPE they can do it.

I just don't think they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      With Major Juniors, it will be tough but otherwise they have to hope for fans to just pick a team like americans try to do with the EPL. Maybe they choose UND because it has the most canadians from Manitoba or pick UMD because they're a fan of Penticton (BCHL) and UMD has 3 guys from Penticton (BCHL). It certainly will be an interesting 4-10 years ahead on many levels. The B1GHC dynamic is interesting especially if PSU finds a way to no suck. The final 2013-14 conference standings are what I look forward to seeing...who amongst the B1G and NCHC are at the bottom, how big the separation in those conferences is...I think the NCHC teams will miss having the whipping boys around.
      B1G is easy to predict for 2013-14.

6) Penn State
      5) Ohio State
      4) Michigan State
      2-3) Minnesota/Wisconsin
      1) Michigan
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        B1G is easy to predict for 2013-14.

6) Penn State
        5) Ohio State
        4) Michigan State
        2-3) Minnesota/Wisconsin
        1) Michigan
        I wouldn't separate OSU/MSU, I don't have much faith in a league commissioner having success... I'll bet you right now that the B1G standings don't end like that...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          Either or. Canadians will watch hockey for a variety of reasons...again, not saying that they would watch college hockey.

Again, I'm not trying to say that the average Canadian would watch College Hockey over Major Junior. What I'm saying is, IF (and again, I've stressed this heavily in each of my posts) they do watch college hockey, they aren't going to care what the matchup is. They will watch for other reasons (like two that Shirtless Guy stated above).
          Totally see your point.

but.

People outside of the US have heard of Notre Dame. Good, bad, or ugly.

I dunno..... Hope for the best, for sure.

That does not even address that most seasons, only two of these teams will be dancing, two will be mid-packers, and finals will have to wallow in the sludge. Name those teams. (the B10 has the exact same problem, too) A 16 team tournament with the ECAC, HE, Atlantic, CCHA, WCHA, B10, and NCHC all getting auto bids (did I miss any?) makes it hard to get the rest. Especially if the remaining conferences fracture more.

Comment

True, and it might just be Denver or UND going 16-17-3 and missing the NCAAs while finishing 3rd or 4th...
            I'm OK with that. DU doesn't have to make the NCAA Tournament for this deal to make sense.

If DU recruits fun players and has some epic regular season battles, it will be great.

The most boring college hockey games I've attended are NCAA neutral site 1st & 2nd round Tournament games on the East Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Totally see your point.

but.

People outside of the US have heard of Notre Dame. Good, bad, or ugly.

I dunno..... Hope for the best, for sure.

That does not even address that most seasons, only two of these teams will be dancing, two will be mid-packers, and finals will have to wallow in the sludge. Name those teams. (the B10 has the exact same problem, too) A 16 team tournament with the ECAC, HE, Atlantic, CCHA, WCHA, B10, and NCHC all getting auto bids (did I miss any?) makes it hard to get the rest. Especially if the remaining conferences fracture more.
              I don't see the National (apparently that is the nickname for the conference...whatever) getting on Versus without Notre Dame.

As for only 2 teams getting in, we'll have to see how it shakes out. I'm thinking that probably 3 from HE, B1G and the National will make it most years, with probably two bids going to the ECAC, and then one apiece from the Atlantic, CCHA and WCHA. That leaves two bids to be divided between the seven conferences, although I don't see the B1G or the National getting more than half the conference in the NCAA Tournament on a normal basis.
              Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

*****http://mattmedia.net/writing/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/national.jpg******

Comment

I wouldn't separate OSU/MSU, I don't have much faith in a league commissioner having success... I'll bet you right now that the B1G standings don't end like that...
                  PSU won't be 6th?
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I don't see the National (apparently that is the nickname for the conference...whatever) getting on Versus without Notre Dame.
                    And VS = NBC. So maybe that's why they mentioned a Versus deal in the first place.... Just to make Notre Dame perk and ear.

Comment

And VS = NBC. So maybe that's why they mentioned a Versus deal in the first place.... Just to make Notre Dame perk and ear.
                      More than likely Notre Dame got them in contact with the NBC "consultants."

Comment

Definitely a possibility. Also, Comcast owns NBC, and DG had a good post on his blog about all the media connections that the National has. It really does make you think that something will happen, but I'm not going to get my hopes up until I sit down and turn on Versus and see North Dakota @ Miami on. We'll see. At this point, there is so much up in the air that anything can happen.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

As for only 2 teams getting in, we'll have to see how it shakes out. I'm thinking that probably 3 from HE, B1G and the National will make it most years, with probably two bids going to the ECAC, and then one apiece from the Atlantic, CCHA and WCHA. That leaves two bids to be divided between the seven conferences, although I don't see the B1G or the National getting more than half the conference in the NCAA Tournament on a normal basis.
                          IF done correctly, the WCHA should be able to stay even with the ECAC and pretty much put 2 teams in the NCAAs every year. Otherwise I agree with your assessment.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Exactly. When March 2014 rolls around, there might be some coaches/ad's second guessing this whole thing. Perhaps a school like Anchorage or Tech will hoist the MacNaughton and play in the NCAA Tournament while Denver or UND will be wondering how they went 13-24-2 and finished 5th in conference
                            Last year all six of these teams made the NCAA. You'll never ever see that again, even getting 3 there will be tough. No one from the group of Mankato, Bemidji, Anchorage, Fairbanks, St Cloud, Tech, NMU, Ferris, LSSU or Bowling Green made it. Yet it is very likely that at least two of them will be dancing in 2014, unless a second comes from might-be-added-to-the-CCHA teams like Mercyhurst, Canisius, Niagara, Robert Morris or Huntsville. There might even be a 3rd from that group.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              Last year all six of these teams made the NCAA. You'll never ever see that again, even getting 3 there will be tough. No one from the group of Mankato, Bemidji, Anchorage, Fairbanks, St Cloud, Tech, NMU, Ferris, LSSU or Bowling Green made it. Yet it is very likely that at least two of them will be dancing in 2014, unless a second comes from might-be-added-to-the-CCHA teams like Mercyhurst, Canisius, Niagara, Robert Morris or Huntsville. There might even be a 3rd from that group.
                              Just as an FYI.

Four ACC teams play NCAA D-1 Lacrosse. All four teams made the NCAA Tournament this year. Three of the four made the Lax Final Four. No ACC team lost a game in the tournament except to another ACC team.

11 of 16 Big East teams made the Hoops Tourney.

Never assume that you can predict how Pairwise will shake out. Especially if teams are in 6 team conferences with 14 non-conference games. Things could get wacky in a hurry.

Pairwise has has built in advantages to "power conferences."
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 07-14-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                And oh my will the whining be loud....
                                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Working...
                                X