Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Nope, don't care about Denver, CC, Faison, Gwozdecky, Alberts...screw 'em. The B1G Mistake may have created this mess but DU and UND pulled out their knife and stabbed whats left of the WCHA right in the gut.
    Seems to me if anybody got stabbed it was the CCHA. I haven't heard of any WCHA teams that are being forced to make a move. You'll just be traveling to different cities. Sorry if I don't have a lot of sympathy.

Why does this have to be about arrogance, or big national TV contracts (show me one press release where anybody from the NCHC expects this - certainly nobody in Colorado Springs expects it)?? You do what's best for your program, we'll do what's best for ours.

If you are worried about the greater good, call your state legislature, let them cut a check. It's not our job to subsidize hockey in Houghton, Bemidji, and Anchorage. We all want to see the game succeed, but not at our expense. And again, sorry if I am not entirely sympathetic to your supposed plight. It's just not as fun to watch the Mankatos of the world. Don't deny it, you'd rather watch DU than Mankato any day of the week. Let's cut through the BS, you guys are just a tad jealous that your programs aren't viewed as highly as some others. Deal with it.

I'd rather watch SEC football than the Mountain West, too. And it doesn't bother me a bit that the system is unfair (shedding a tear) to Wyoming.

Let's take a poll - if you were SCSU's athletic director, who here among you would reject the NCHC and stay in the WCHA now? Anybody?

Comment

• Re: The new Super League is going down the tubes.

Originally posted by bbutzin View Post
      Let's take a poll - if you were SCSU's athletic director, who here among you would reject the NCHC and stay in the WCHA now? Anybody?
      That's not the question. The question is: If you were the AD at Denver in April, would you have tried to form a new conference without half of the remaining WCHA teams, or would you consider that the WCHA would still be strong without Minnesota or Wisconsin (which of them made the Final Five this year?) and worked to make an already strong conference even stronger?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        That's not the question. The question is: If you were the AD at Denver in April, would you have tried to form a new conference without half of the remaining WCHA teams, or would you consider that the WCHA would still be strong without Minnesota or Wisconsin (which of them made the Final Five this year?) and worked to make an already strong conference even stronger?
        Thank you. I just want to know the reasons for wanting this and all I've ever gotten from my sources is big egos, arrogance and stupidity. As for bbutzin. Please oh please tell me how Denver of all teams was subsidizing Michigan Tech and Mankato? I don't remember seeing hundreds of Denver's fans at the Final Five.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Wait...did they leave the WCHA because they didn't like McLeod, or because they wanted to "dump" the other five...errr...four teams? If McLeod had resigned, would Denver and UND still have jumped ship? If they wanted to get rid of him they could have done it...they apparently had six of the remaining 10 WCHA votes, so couldn't they have just fired him?
          They wanted to dump McLeod, period. DU and UND were all in on that, and others schools just wouldn't push thier chips into the middle of the table to force him out, though under the table they weren't against it. Then DU and UND said, it you can't dump him, leave him, and the little 6 was formed. I don't know how many votes they had against him, or if they had enough to fire him.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by shirtless guy View Post
            thank you. I just want to know the reasons for wanting this and all i've ever gotten from my sources is big egos, arrogance and stupidity. As for bbutzin. Please oh please tell me how denver of all teams was subsidizing michigan tech and mankato? I don't remember seeing tens of denver's fans at the final five.
            Fixed.

Comment

Seems to me if anybody got stabbed it was the CCHA. I haven't heard of any WCHA teams that are being forced to make a move. You'll just be traveling to different cities. Sorry if I don't have a lot of sympathy.

Why does this have to be about arrogance, or big national TV contracts (show me one press release where anybody from the NCHC expects this - certainly nobody in Colorado Springs expects it)?? You do what's best for your program, we'll do what's best for ours.

If you are worried about the greater good, call your state legislature, let them cut a check. It's not our job to subsidize hockey in Houghton, Bemidji, and Anchorage. We all want to see the game succeed, but not at our expense. And again, sorry if I am not entirely sympathetic to your supposed plight. It's just not as fun to watch the Mankatos of the world. Don't deny it, you'd rather watch DU than Mankato any day of the week. Let's cut through the BS, you guys are just a tad jealous that your programs aren't viewed as highly as some others. Deal with it.

I'd rather watch SEC football than the Mountain West, too. And it doesn't bother me a bit that the system is unfair (shedding a tear) to Wyoming.

Like I said in a another thread. Just come out and say you ruined college hockey so we can tar and feather your aass.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                I think an AD would be remiss to not explore all the options. And in a time of change, why wouldn't a new conference be on the table? Sounds like there were plenty of internal problems with the WCHA. Without Wisconsin and Minnesota, the WCHA was indisputably weaker. And today, the NCHC is (on paper at least) stronger. For the teams who left, it's hard to argue this isn't better than the alternative. Hence my question - if you were SCSU, today, would you or would you not join the NCHC? Of course you would.

So like I said, we don't owe any of the left-behind teams anything, anymore than the Gophers and Badgers owe the new NCHC schools anything.

(That's what I meant by subsidize - unless you feel you are worse off playing the new WCHA schools than you would be playing the NCHC school, what are you complaining about? Of course you'd be better off playing us. But we are better off where we are heading now. So in effect, staying behind, holding the WCHA together out of charity, would have amounted to a subsidy.)
                Last edited by bunt_q; 09-21-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  Like I said in a another thread. Just come out and say you ruined college hockey so we can tar and feather your aass.
                  Maybe it's time we stop thinking so provincially. If college hockey programs can't survive without a few token "big games" per year, then maybe they aren't all that vital. Is it North Dakota's responsibility to fill the house in Houghton? Wisconsin's responsibility? How can we ever grow the sport if we're so limited? How about you guys worry about yourselves, rather than expect charity visits from big schools?

EDIT: You guys should think more like a Winnipeg, less like an Atlanta. How about some homegrown support. If the NCHC "kills college hockey" you'll have nobody to blame but yourselves.
                  Last edited by bunt_q; 09-21-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Maybe it's time we stop thinking so provincially. If college hockey programs can't survive without a few token "big games" per year, then maybe they aren't all that vital. Is it North Dakota's responsibility to fill the house in Houghton? How can we ever grow the sport if we're so limited?
                    And how do you "grow the sport" by having programs fold? People keep missing the point; it isn't that the couple of "token big games" are needed, it's the perception that your program is in a quality conference that is needed to keep them successful at the gate for all games.
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Maybe it's time we stop thinking so provincially. If college hockey programs can't survive without a few token "big games" per year, then maybe they aren't all that vital. Is it North Dakota's responsibility to fill the house in Houghton? Wisconsin's responsibility? How can we ever grow the sport if we're so limited? How about you guys worry about yourselves, rather than expect charity visits from big schools?
                      Right now, if BSU were still looking for a conference, would the NaCHo(C) take them? No. They'd probably end up in the WCHA, where there is little exposure. They grew in D1 because they were in a conference with the "haves." If the whole conference is "haves" how can other programs grow when they all have to play each other?

Conferences need the little guy just as much as the little guy needs them, if you want growth.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                        And how do you "grow the sport" by having programs fold? People keep missing the point; it isn't that the couple of "token big games" are needed, it's the perception that your program is in a quality conference that is needed to keep them successful at the gate for all games.
                        See my edit. Winnipeg not Atlanta.

But there you go again, relying on other schools to give you the perception of a quality conference. Again, not our responsibility to provide you with quality cred. Build your own.

Comment

See my edit. Winnipeg not Atlanta.

But there you go again, relying on other schools to give you the perception of a quality conference. Again, not our responsibility to provide you with quality cred. Build your own.
                          You don't get it, do you. How do you build your own, when you are in a conference of like schools? Little schools have the chance to grow because of the big schools. See: BSU.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Conferences need the little guy just as much as the little guy needs them, if you want growth.
                            Define growth. Quality, or just quantity? Alabama Huntsville does not interest me. College hockey being a competitive path to the NHL alongside major juniors, that's a development I like. That's better for the sport all around. If lots of schools participating was enough, we'd be a volleyball country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              You don't get it, do you. How do you build your own, when you are in a conference of like schools? Little schools have the chance to grow because of the big schools. See: BSU.
                              There will still be non conference games. Every sport has its elite and its not. And I suppose every sport has complaining from the have-nits, so this is probably a pointless discussion. Troy State still gets to play Nebraska. McNeese State is never hurting for non conference opponents either. But for the sport, the country, and the NFL, we need Nebraskas. College hockey has been hamstrung for too long by big schools supporting the little. Well, the Big 10 took care of that. You'll just have to adapt to the new reality (and I suppose complaint a lot, a'la Boise State).

That's what the WCHA is now - it's the Mountain West of college hockey. But you'll sill get a tourney bid, so you have even less to complain about.

Comment

Define growth. Quality, or just quantity? Alabama Huntsville does not interest me. College hockey being a competitive path to the NHL alongside major juniors, that's a development I like. That's better for the sport all around. If lots of schools participating was enough, we'd be a volleyball country.
                                UAH hasn't had a chance to grow, because no one is taking them in. BSU did have a chance to grow, because the big schools let them in their conference. Who's to say that UAH couldn't grow into an annual tourney team? They haven't got the chance to try.

SCSU had a chance to grow, because of the same reasons BSU did. That's what I consider growth.

Comment

Working...
                                X