• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Good New for RIT Women

Should be news, but the s stuck

From the NCAA 7/5/11 News of the Day

Multidivisional classification

The Administration Cabinet also reviewed ramifications of the new Division I membership standards adopted in April (Proposal No. 2010-100) that eliminates multidivisional membership. The 45 current non-Division I schools that had been using multidivisional classification (28 of them have one sport in Division I, and 17 have two, one in each gender) were grandfathered under the new proposal.

With that in mind, cabinet members are asking the Division I Leadership Council to consider sponsoring legislation to permit (not require) those current non-Division I institutions with a sport classified in Division I for only one gender to seek reclassification of one Division I sport of the opposite gender.

The cabinet directed staff to develop information to help the Leadership Council review the issue.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Possible Good New for RIT Women

Originally posted by joecct View Post

I thought RIT going D1 was just an unfounded rumor?
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
      Right now, yes as the 2010-100 prohibits new playups. But if the NCAA passes new legislation as indicated below, then RIT (and CC) could move up to play D-I womens hockey.

NOTE: This would also affect D-II schools, but since the women play a D-I/II NCC, why move up?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Right now, yes as the 2010-100 prohibits new playups. But if the NCAA passes new legislation as indicated below, then RIT (and CC) could move up to play D-I womens hockey.

NOTE: This would also affect D-II schools, but since the women play a D-I/II NCC, why move up?

Because they do not qualify for the NCAA'S might be a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
          RIT's intention to apply for DI status for the women's program was confirmed by the college president at the same time they announced the plans for the new arena. They have been quietly preparing for this for some time.
          Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

The bottom line question is the timeline. My impression from conversations with Tiger faithful (who clearly would know) during the finals in Rochester was that this was not happening any time real soon. Ground being broken for the new arena seemed a key element in the process. Has that taken place? It sounded like there were at least a couple of tens of millions to be raised. Have those donations been flooding in? The NC$$ typically moves at what might be described as a glacial pace. Does the recent NC$$ announcement change that?

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
              The bottom line question is the timeline. My impression from conversations with Tiger faithful (who clearly would know) during the finals in Rochester was that this was not happening any time real soon. Ground being broken for the new arena seemed a key element in the process. Has that taken place? It sounded like there were at least a couple of tens of millions to be raised. Have those donations been flooding in? The NC$$ typically moves at what might be described as a glacial pace. Does the recent NC$$ announcement change that?

There were doubters on the time line, even among RIT faithful. The problem was the NCAA had already told RIT, prior to them even submitting the application, that they intended to reject the application. The school had started to consult with its attorneys and a couple of other schools who were in a similar boat, about challenging the NCAA's position legally. How much that threat of legal action moved the NCAA to this potentially new stance I do not know, but the general feeling was that if it had to go the legal route it could take quite a while, hence the pessimism among many. This potentially opens the door much quicker to the women moving to DI.

As far as the arena goes, my understanding is that the plans are basically in the works (they selected an architectural firm from the Toronto area who has some experience in designing arenas from what I understand and have received 2 designs from them) and a site on the campus has been selected, although that location has not been formally announced. On the fund raising front, all I have heard is "we are getting there". I haven't heard anything remotely negative about the funding campaign, so I can only assume things are going about as planned. I do know that they designed the rink plans with some flexibility in them, not with regards to the arena itself, but to some of the other parts of it (one version has a parking garage and a pedestrian tunnel or bridge in the design) so that they can move more quickly if they so choose, with less initial capital needed.
              Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

RIT was very involved with this legislation from what I've heard. The lawyers are hard at work.
                The arena campaign is going very well, some athletic staff at the Tiger open brought back a one page handout of a picture and general info on the arena. It looks amazing!
                RIT TIGERS
                2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                  Having had the chance to speak to several of the VP level admins about this, and RIT President Destler himself, the hold up is not from RIT. Everyone involved in the program wants it in Division 1 asap. RIT has invested significant time and resources into finding a way to move the program.
                  RIT Tiger Hockey
                  Cinderella is dancing again!

Comment

Working...
                  X