X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The end of leagues as we know?

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    I'm starting to wonder how many of these rumors originate on these boards.
    Few. A lot start in the papers or in reputable blogs. Then like wild fires, they take on a life of their own and spread and spread and spread.

But - the BTHC will be the only multisport conference in D-I hockey and hence will have a lot of input in NCAA circles on the future of college hockey. I'm wondering if the Ivy Group needs to split off from the ECAC just to counterbalance (that's a rumor or speculation or wishful thinking).
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      I'm starting to wonder how many of these rumors originate on these boards.
      I don't think that Brad Schlossman would put his name to a rumor... Brad is one of the best in the business.
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

big ten will ruin hockey idiot... btw, color me shocked to find a whiney st clown fan on this forum
        Oh UND fans. You're so adorable.
        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
          There are seven other schools in this scenario that are looking to form a conference I would blame the BTHC farce for this mess.
          Of course you would...you would never blame your precious UND they are just doing what they have to It just so happens what they have to do kills the small schools, just like they whined about Minnesota and Wisconsin doing. That doesnt make them frauds or hypocrits though...not your precious UND.

BTW, if I had to bet Notre Dame is leaving the CCHA to go east. They play in the Big East in almost every sport it makes way more sense than them starting up a new conference.
          Last edited by Handyman; 07-03-2011, 11:53 AM.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

BTW, if I had to bet Notre Dame is leaving the CCHA to go east. They play in the Big East in almost every sport it makes way more sense than them starting up a new conference.
            I'll take that bet.

Read Schlossman's article again.

The only reason Western Michigan would be mentioned as a possible member is because Notre Dame and Miami would want them as a nearby conference foe that would eliminate the need to fly to more than five trips during the regular season. In other words, Notre Dame brings Western Michigan in to cut down on the travel expenses.

Comment

Big East does not even have hockey so why would they even consider HE? Just don't see it happening. Would have to be a big payday for HE to want to travel to ND.

Comment

Notre Dame has probably done their due diligence and figured out...

New League: 5 plane trips
                HE: 7 plane trips

Plus the new league will offer better TV match-ups on the new Notre Dame Network.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  I'll take that bet.

The only reason Western Michigan would be mentioned as a possible member is because Notre Dame and Miami would want them as a nearby conference foe that would eliminate the need to fly to more than five trips during the regular season. In other words, Notre Dame brings Western Michigan in to cut down on the travel expenses.
                  It also has something to do with MU and WMU being from the MAC and that they are Division One.
                  Eric's Twitter

Comment

Of course you would...you would never blame your precious UND they are just doing what they have to It just so happens what they have to do kills the small schools, just like they whined about Minnesota and Wisconsin doing. That doesnt make them frauds or hypocrits though...not your precious UND.

Back at you Handjob -> isn't your school one of the major causes of all of this happening? Aren't the Gophers part of the B1G Hockey Farce? Like time I checked they were... I like how the B1G comes in blows up college hockey and they when other teams start looking at improving their lot the B1G Farce fans get mad at schools like Miami, UND, ND, DU, UNO and others for wanting to do what's best for the schools. I also think it's laughable that UND is the one being singled out... That's B.S.
                    Eric's Twitter

Comment

Back at you Handjob -> isn't your school one of the major causes of all of this happening? Aren't the Gophers part of the B1G Hockey Farce? Like time I checked they were... I like how the B1G comes in blows up college hockey and they when other teams start looking at improving their lot the B1G Farce fans get mad at schools like Miami, UND, ND, DU, UNO and others for wanting to do what's best for the schools. I also think it's laughable that UND is the one being singled out... That's B.S.
                      Laugh at it all you want.
                      UND doing this would make them no better than Minnesota and the article is from their writer and paper so yeah, they get the blame.
                      The other schools aren't blameless but in the article, the focus is on your school.
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

I know you probably have a huge hardon from ripping into Minnesota (I usually do too), and I know this will be hard for you...but THINK. Yeah losing Minny/Sconnie and the two Michigan schools hurt the WCHA and CCHA...but if we lost UND, CC, DU, UNO, and maybe UMD and then the CCHA lost Miami, Notre Dame, etc...it would KILL both conferences.

Then again, the autobid from a conference that had SCSU, BSU, MSU, FSU, NMU, MTU, UAA, and UAF would be hilarious.
                        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                          I know you probably have a huge hardon from ripping into Minnesota (I usually do too), and I know this will be hard for you...but THINK. Yeah losing Minny/Sconnie and the two Michigan schools hurt the WCHA and CCHA...but if we lost UND, CC, DU, UNO, and maybe UMD and then the CCHA lost Miami, Notre Dame, etc...it would KILL both conferences.

Then again, the autobid from a conference that had SCSU, BSU, MSU, FSU, NMU, MTU, UAA, and UAF would be hilarious.
                          No more than basketball getting one from the MEAC.

IF we get a I/II National Collegiate Championship, I'll raise your laugh track by autobidding: Mass-Lowell, Merrimack, St. Anselm, St. Michaels, Stonehill, Franklin Pierce, Assumption, Southern New Hampshire, Bentley, and AIC
                          Last edited by joecct; 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                            And my point was that even though BSU basketball and football - sports that are nowhere near as popular as BSU hockey and likely closer to the 4th, 5th or 6th sporting option (behind high school and youth sports in Bemidji) can draw 105 fans in their sleep. Maybe you see it as there being "more to do" in Rochester than in Bemidji, but as I was just discussing yesterday, the stuff you can do in Bemidji is likely free or less expensive (youth sports, high school sports, ice fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, show shoeing, curling, etc. in winter, plus we have a nice symphony orchestra, and summer theatre - this perception that there is "more" to do in big cities is held by people that have never lived in small cities). I still don't see drawing .35% of your population as something to brag about. Sell out your AHL barn for RIT games every game (10,000 is 1.6% of the metro area) and then you an brag about attendance compared to BSU or Mankato.
                            UConn may be a "name school", but certainly not Bentley. I certainly think that the bigger arena that is coming will show how well RIT can really draw. We know what they are capable of - selling out the AHL arena for Mass-Lowell. My point is that I see teams (their fans at least) whining about what they will lose from these games against bigger schools. Rather, the schools, should they continue playing hockey, should adapt and work on drawing more casual fans. My opinion is that winning more often will offset that.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              I'll take that bet.

I am sorry...when exactly did Schlossman become the end all be all of college hockey again? Just because he happens to trumpet the same stuff you do doesnt make him right...you do understand that correct?
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So it is ok for your school to do what is in their best interest but not mine. That is what the whole point of my post was. I shouldnt be surprised you wouldnt get that, you have always barely been readable not to mention unable to read. Your little childish "handjob" comment is just further proof. Your creativity died in the 1990's.

You can do what you want, but your school and its fans were the ones bemoaning Minnesota and Wisconsin for doing what was in their best interests. Now it appears you are doing the same thing. It may hurt your feelings that your precious little UND is now as big a ******s as the Big Ten is, but it doesnt change the fact that it is the truth.

You are going to dump the same schools the Big Ten teams did and screw them over for the exact same reason. If you deny it, you are nothing but a hypocrit. Since we know that is true, feel free to deny it.

edit: FTLT and DL have it exactly right. They dont ever agree with me on ANYTHING so you might want to take a step back and see...
                                Last edited by Handyman; 07-03-2011, 02:05 PM.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X