This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The end of leagues as we know?

To me, this is a dark day for college hockey. Although my alma mater will be joining the Super League, I'm 100 percent disgusted by the fact that it has come to this point. My fandom (as most people on here), does not end with my team. It goes throughout the entire landscape of college hockey, from Fairbanks to Orono and everywhere in between.

It makes me physically sick to think of the repercussions this could (and probably will) have on smaller, historic programs. To think of schools like SCSU, MTU, NMU, and BGSU being just tossed to the curb disgusts me.

Part of what drew me into college hockey, and to a hockey school, was the fact that it wasn't like the other NCAA sports, always divided into the haves and have-nots. Sadly, that is what we have lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      I don't give a **** if you said it or not...all of this is complete bull****. What was the point BSU getting funding to build a brand new facility to meet WCHA requirements only to have the WCHA fall apart so fast after joining? Give me one good reason UND should feel the need to push for this new bull**** conference instead of just holding the torch as the best team out west not in the Big Ten? How is this all worth ****ing away 60 years of history?
      The college hockey landscape has changed. Prima donna 18 year-olds are calling the shots on a two hiatus towards their dream of playing in the NHL.

If they perceive that North Dakota or Denver or Miami isn't the quickest path to the NHL, they will be on the first plane to Waterloo, Kitchener or Tri-Cities.
      Last edited by dggoddard; 07-07-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        3rd? They'll be lucky to be 4th.
        MSU is too up and down to consistently finish ahead of Minny. Sparty just seems like a team that is feast or famine.

I can't see OSU being anything other than a door mat.

Penn State like all new programs is going to hurt for awhile.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          North Dakota comes out of this looking a lot like Cartman: a fat, diabolical bully with a massive inferiority complex because his dick is 1.4 inches long.
          Like he says, "Its better than being 1.2 inches."

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            The college hockey landscape has changed. Prima Donna 18 year olds are calling the shots on a two hiatus towards their dream of playing in the NHL.

If they perceive that North Dakota or Denver or Miami isn't the quickest path to the NHL, they will be on the first plane to Waterloo, Kitchener or Tri-Cities.
            Oh, so now its Major Junior's fault that western college hockey is fracturing? I see...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              North Dakota comes out of this looking a lot like Cartman: a fat, diabolical bully with a massive inferiority complex because his dick is 1.4 inches long.
              Don't forget about Denver. His dick is small also.

Comment

Originally posted by nbetweennownthen View Post
                To me, this is a dark day for college hockey. Although my alma mater will be joining the Super League, I'm 100 percent disgusted by the fact that it has come to this point. My fandom (as most people on here), does not end with my team. It goes throughout the entire landscape of college hockey, from Fairbanks to Orono and everywhere in between.

It makes me physically sick to think of the repercussions this could (and probably will) have on smaller, historic programs. To think of schools like SCSU, MTU, NMU, and BGSU being just tossed to the curb disgusts me.

Part of what drew me into college hockey, and to a hockey school, was the fact that it wasn't like the other NCAA sports, always divided into the haves and have-nots. Sadly, that is what we have lost.
                hear, hear. Great post.

Comment

The college hockey landscape has changed. Prima Donna 18 year olds are calling the shots on a two hiatus towards their dream of playing in the NHL.

Yes but the best NCAA teams seem to have only a few prima donna 18 year olds.

This is the trap of the "super conference" recruiting bull, the best team is not just a collection of parts waiting to bolt to the NHL - sometimes mid year. It is actually a team.

As much as it pains me the most dominant team of late is BC. Core is small forwards that stay 3+ years and a careful mix of developing D so there is minimal flight risk. The reason they keep kicking every bodies tail is they have a chance to become a team.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                    Bemidji, Mankato, and St. Cloud might have a case if Duluth tries to run off without them. Tying the four other Minnesota schools together by the Minnesota goverment would block UND from having a close travel partner, and might make them a little less likely to jump.
                    Minnesota-Duluth & Minnesota-Crookston should Join the B1G Mistake with Minnesota.
                    "My greatest achievement."
                    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      Don't forget about Denver. His dick is small also.
                      Denver and NoDak should at least send lipstick to the smaller schools, so we can at least look good while getting ****ed.
                      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                      2006-2007: 15-24-2
                      2007-2008: 20-20-4
                      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        OK - I guess I don't get it. These leagues realize that in general 1/2 the teams finish below .500 and somebody must be last each year? They also realize that there is still only one autobid per conference?
                        They also figure they're going to have relatively expansive nonconference schedules and, if they win most of those games, they can afford to go around 0.500 in league and still qualify for the NCAA tournament. We would see hockey starting to look a bit more like basketball in that regard.
                        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          Bemidji, Mankato, and St. Cloud might have a case if Duluth tries to run off without them. Tying the four other Minnesota schools together by the Minnesota goverment would block UND from having a close travel partner, and might make them a little less likely to jump.
                          Where was the Minnesota legislature when Minnesota was leaving the WCHA?
                          Last edited by dggoddard; 07-07-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            One things for sure. The golden age of college hockey is over. The pile of rubble that's left when this is over won't ever be the same.
                            Originally posted by nbetweennownthen View Post

Couldn't agree more.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Where was the Minnesota legislature when Minnesota was leaving the WCHA?
                              Haha you took him seriously.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

The remnants of the WCHA and CCHA are set up fairly well to create their own conference and align it with east and west divisions for ease of scheduling and travel. Add in UAH to boot. And that group won't be as intimidating to a start-up as say the current WCHA but will still have some credibility for calibre of hockey.

Assuming the new conference is UND, DU, CC, UNO, UMD, MoOH, NDU, and WMU what is left is:

HRC (Hockey Remnants Conference):
                                West - SCSU, MSU-M, BSU, UAA, UAF, (new team here, say MSU-Moorhead)
                                East - BGSU, FSU, NMU, MTU, LSSU, UAH

This group is set perfectly to try to get schools to add hockey and split into two separate conferences later. Lindenwood in the west. Who knows, maybe another MAC school in the east.
                                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X