X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The end of leagues as we know?

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    I'm guessing that Notre Dame is still in play and they couldn't get approval in time.
    It certainly does appear that the Irish are still in play, but I'd guess Swarbrick still hasn't come down on which direction he wants to go. The only way I can see a hold-up with ND in but not approved is if there's something involved that requires affirmation by the board of trustees.

Either way Notre Dame still holds the cards.
    I don't know that I'd still put it this way. Yes, ND will still determine the exact makeup of the New Western Hockey Association, but the NWHA is going forward regardless of which way the Irish decide they want to go, and that also presumably means there's a firm deadline for ND to decide whether or not they're going west (theoretically, they could decide thereafter whether to go to Hockey East or whatever ends up left in the midwest, but I think Hockey East would be the only reasonable alternative).
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

• Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
      The new commish for this league should just dress like Hitler, since its pretty much being run by a Hitler supporter.
      Yeah yeah flying hippos, unicorns, and pots of gold. UND is currently accepting fan applications from LSSU, BGSU, and NMU.
      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by CC BlackBears View Post
        As someone who grew up as a Maine fan in the 90's when the college hockey landscape was so different, it's especially sad to think about what will happen to teams like Lake Superior State and Michigan Tech, to name a few, that have storied histories and have been perennial contenders in the past.
        You ask that question as if this new league is going to give a rat's arse about what happens to the small programs.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          Historically when Michigan was in the WCHA they were not always number 1. In this new league Minnesota historically will be fighting for number one with Michigan. This will not be Michigan winning the conference every year like their CCHA days.
          If you look at recent happenings, Minnesota will be just hoping for home ice in the first round, battling for that with OSU and MSU.

Michigan and Wisconsin will trade top seeds for as far into the future as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
            Yeah yeah flying hippos, unicorns, and pots of gold. UND is currently accepting fan applications from LSSU, BGSU, and NMU.
            **** off. I hope your roof collapses.
            Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
            1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
            2006-2007: 15-24-2
            2007-2008: 20-20-4
            2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Totally off the wall here, but is there any way the aggreived parties can muck this up in the courts?
              Originally posted by Jon
              You call everything.

Comment

Ok we will tenatively take you off the list, shall I pass your app along to UMich?
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by 3W View Post
                  Totally off the wall here, but is there any way the aggreived parties can muck this up in the courts?
                  Not a snowball's chance in hell. Pretty sure there's nothing legally binding about conference membership, unless for whatever reason it's in writing (which it never is).

Comment

Historically when Michigan was in the WCHA they were not always number 1. In this new league Minnesota historically will be fighting for number one with Michigan. This will not be Michigan winning the conference every year like their CCHA days.
                    I know you being a Minny fan looking at it that way is more comforting. (Note I am NOT a Michigan fan!)

But remember Michigan sucked the 1st 6 years they were in the CCHA too, including Red's first 3 years. So it wasn't just that they sucked for a long time in the WCHA - they just sucked.

Since the start of Red's 6th season they have had 2 seasons of sub .600 hockey. I think the turn around had less to do with the CCHA and more to do with the coach. That program is currently a machine, when Red leaves who knows.

As for Minny 4 straight years of down play (& at time looking just bad), 3 outside the NCAA with question marks of a coach on the hot seat, trending down at the moment.

I think if we look at the current run the order of B1G Mistake is clear, Michigan, WISCO, Minn, MSU, OSU, Penn State. OSU on get 5th because they exist not because they are good.

Hope you like 3rd...
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by 3W View Post
                      Lawyers cost money. Guess how much the WCHA has laying around?

You'd have to have conference by-laws and exit fees written into a contract. I believe Nebraska paid a steep fee to the Big 12 to bolt early. Colorado didn't have the cash to bail early for the Pac 10.

Long and the short of it. This isn't going to court.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 07-07-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        One things for sure. The golden age of college hockey is over. The pile of rubble that's left when this is over won't ever be the same.
                        So true.

It is so painful to see my favorite sport become shattered and torn apart.

Just keep the status quo

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                        Okay, so this is supposed to open the door for expansion. Where will teams go?

The Super League: The whole reasoning coming out of these schools is that they want to associate with like schools. So, you will need to have an arena, money and probably full D-I status to make it into this league.
                        UMD probably won't become a full DI school anytime soon.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Weiner, please stop putting words in my mouth.
                          I don't give a **** if you said it or not...all of this is complete bull****. What was the point BSU getting funding to build a brand new facility to meet WCHA requirements only to have the WCHA fall apart so fast after joining? Give me one good reason UND should feel the need to push for this new bull**** conference instead of just holding the torch as the best team out west not in the Big Ten? How is this all worth ****ing away 60 years of history?
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by 3W View Post
                            Bemidji, Mankato, and St. Cloud might have a case if Duluth tries to run off without them. Tying the four other Minnesota schools together by the Minnesota goverment would block UND from having a close travel partner, and might make them a little less likely to jump.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              I know you being a Minny fan looking at it that way is more comforting. (Note I am NOT a Michigan fan!)

But remember Michigan sucked the 1st 6 years they were in the CCHA too, including Red's first 3 years. So it wasn't just that they sucked for a long time in the WCHA - they just sucked.

Since the start of Red's 6th season they have had 2 seasons of sub .600 hockey. I think the turn around had less to do with the CCHA and more to do with the coach. That program is currently a machine, when Red leaves who knows.

As for Minny 4 straight years of down play (& at time looking just bad), 3 outside the NCAA with question marks of a coach on the hot seat, trending down at the moment.

I think if we look at the current run the order of B1G Mistake is clear, Michigan, WISCO, Minn, MSU, OSU, Penn State. OSU on get 5th because they exist not because they are good.

Hope you like 3rd...
                              3rd? They'll be lucky to be 4th.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

North Dakota comes out of this looking a lot like Cartman: a fat, diabolical bully with a massive inferiority complex because his dick is 1.4 inches long.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X